New DJ Interview + Plays Ballad of Death in Gibson Showroom

Tyler Drama

His technique and playing is awesome. Also, great song for GNR. He is the ONLY member to write new songs for the band the past 3 years. If only Axl would pen some lyrics...

Hum, you say you're not a guitar expert, but then say his technique is awesome? And how do you know if there's no other member writing songs too?

The only thing off about this performance is the sound. I'm no guiter expert, but either his distortion is wrong or he is playing the song in a different key b/c it sounds different from the live versions we've heard.

Its because the guitar is off and he's using his Morley wah-wah (unlike in his live performance).

So I've been holding on to this story for awhile but figured it may shed some light on Axl's opinion on the Ballad of Death.

As I've posted a couple of times here, following the concert in 2010 at Toronto I was fortunate to party with the band members at the after show party. My friend was the manager at the club GNR chose to party at and hence I was able to attend the party (and in my defense, the only reason why she agreed to let GNR party at the club was because she knew I was a huge fan and thought I'd appreciate the opportunity). I'll save most of the other details for perhaps another time but with respect to DJ and the Ballad of Death, I went up to him and told him I thought it was an awesome piece of music and that he and Axl should flesh it out into an entire song. His eyes lit up and responded by giving me a high five and thanking me for the compliment.

He then said to me:

"Can you do me a favor? Can you go tell Axl that but don't tell him I told you to tell him that.?"

Axl was about ten feet behind me but there were 50-60 people there and music blasting so there was no way he could here my conversation with DJ. I smiled and said I'd be happy to (though in my mind I was thinking there was no f'n way I was going to go tell Axl how to compose music). I shook his hand and walked over to Sebastian Bach who had just showed up to the party (we have a mutual friend).

Anyway, I'll leave the rest of the story for another time. I've held out from reporting my wild night of drinking with the band out of respect to the people I met that night. But I think enough time has past and I don't think there would be much harm with sharing this funny little interaction. I think at the time DJ was still new to the band and wasn't sure where he stood with Axl in terms of contributing musically to the band. I'd like to think that his authorship authority has grown somewhat since that cold night over two years ago.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by downzy

So I've been holding on to this story for awhile but figured it may shed some light on Axl's opinion on the Ballad of Death.

As I've posted a couple of times here, following the concert in 2010 at Toronto I was fortunate to party with the band members at the after show party. My friend was the manager at the club GNR chose to party at and hence I was able to attend the party (and in my defense, the only reason why she agreed to let GNR party at the club was because she knew I was a huge fan and thought I'd appreciate the opportunity). I'll save most of the other details for perhaps another time but with respect to DJ and the Ballad of Death, I went up to him and told him I thought it was an awesome piece of music and that he and Axl should flesh it out into an entire song. His eyes lit up and responded by giving me a high five and thanking me for the compliment.

He then said to me:

"Can you do me a favor? Can you go tell Axl that but don't tell him I told you to tell him that.?"

Axl was about ten feet behind me but there were 50-60 people there and music blasting so there was no way he could here my conversation with DJ. I smiled and said I'd be happy to (though in my mind I was thinking there was no f'n way I was going to go tell Axl how to compose music). I shook his hand and walked over to Sebastian Bach who had just showed up to the party (we have a mutual friend).

Anyway, I'll leave the rest of the story for another time. I've held out from reporting my wild night of drinking with the band out of respect to the people I met that night. But I think enough time has past and I don't think there would be much harm with sharing this funny little interaction. I think at the time DJ was still new to the band and wasn't sure where he stood with Axl in terms of contributing musically to the band. I'd like to think that his authorship authority has grown somewhat since that cold night over two years ago.

Cheers,

Andrew

If true, :rofl-lol:. If not, :rofl-lol:.

:sleeper: That sounded awful. He doesn't play the solo the way he wrote it, very mediocre. Maybe he didn't feel it because he was playing using a backing track instead of a real live band. :shrugs:

this dude has no problem with backing tracks:

B E A U T I F U L !!

:sleeper: That sounded awful. He doesn't play the solo the way he wrote it, very mediocre. Maybe he didn't feel it because he was playing using a backing track instead of a real live band. :shrugs:

this dude has no problem with backing tracks:

B E A U T I F U L !!

buckethead is just amazing....