The case for Axl Rose being bipolar

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

I am diagnosed bipolar but I don't agree with the diagnoses, and meds that come with that. They never did anything to me. Also, I haven't had any ups or downs in 4 or 5 years. I think , for me, it is situational, not biological.

I mean, it is they environment around me and the way that makes me feel tht deter is whether I'm on top of the world or stuck to the bed. The highs and lows are not from a lack or overload of seretonin, they are a direct result o my mood. Other people's case may be more extreme or different but that is how I feel about my situation. Bipolar diagnosis is thrown around like no tomorrow for profits within the medical industry and control.

Again Im not taking away from anyone else's diagnosis , I am only speaking about mine.

I totally agree with the previous poster who told his story and also thank him for giving his perspective on such a sensitive subject.

I think Axl Rose defenatley exhibits classic symptoms of bipolar, but for me , theres so much if a grey area that it's hard to discuss in absolutes. But im glad if that medicine they pedal works for some people, it just didn't work for me , or according to himself , Axl, for that matter.

It's way to complex to even discuss really, without knowing him personally and how high or low he gets. I just dint like the labels.

I agree the diagnosis is thrown around too much at times.

I will also agree that meds sometimes work and sometimes don't. But one thing I have found out 100% for sure they won't make it all go away.

I will say this I have tried about every antidepressant known and have found 3 that work for me. As far as mood stabilizers I have found 4 that work to some degree and 2 that really help.

I wouldn't take no from the doctor unless it was a male DR (remember the PTSD) and tried every drug combo.

We now we have a road map to go by. I can take the meds for only so long and they stop working like they did and the dose will be raised until I am on the max dose then it is time to go back to one of the others that work and for about 2 months feel like shit and I am very moody. And so and so fourth.

I have no problems with you saying the meds don't help because for some people they simply do NOT work. Just like with me X pill doesn't work but Y pill does???

Meds like Valium, Xanax and similar meds all work in the very similar way and the only one that will work for me is Valium, it will calm me down (make the anxiety get better not screw me up) I only take it when needed and how it was prescribed but the others I could eat like candy one right after another and still feel the same.

I wish I didn't have to take these damn pills because they are high. I might carry depending on the meds I am on $1000 or lots more out the door each month.

Good luck with your battle and I hope it is one that you can win, I see waking up to a new day a win because if you have ALMOST commented suicide as many times I have you would too. Many times I was just a trigger pull away.

The Wicked Hand... Thanks for posting your views on this illness and do agree with you on most all of your points, I just boils down to the person as to what will work or what won't or if anything will help.

Edited by bigcountry

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am diagnosed bipolar but I don't agree with the diagnoses, and meds that come with that. They never did anything to me. Also, I haven't had any ups or downs in 4 or 5 years. I think , for me, it is situational, not biological.

I mean, it is they environment around me and the way that makes me feel tht deter is whether I'm on top of the world or stuck to the bed. The highs and lows are not from a lack or overload of seretonin, they are a direct result o my mood. Other people's case may be more extreme or different but that is how I feel about my situation. Bipolar diagnosis is thrown around like no tomorrow for profits within the medical industry and control.

Again Im not taking away from anyone else's diagnosis , I am only speaking about mine.

I totally agree with the previous poster who told his story and also thank him for giving his perspective on such a sensitive subject.

I think Axl Rose defenatley exhibits classic symptoms of bipolar, but for me , theres so much if a grey area that it's hard to discuss in absolutes. But im glad if that medicine they pedal works for some people, it just didn't work for me , or according to himself , Axl, for that matter.

It's way to complex to even discuss really, without knowing him personally and how high or low he gets. I just dint like the labels.

I agree the diagnosis is thrown around too much at times.

I will also agree that meds sometimes work and sometimes don't. But one thing I have found out 100% for sure they won't make it all go away.

I will say this I have tried about every antidepressant known and have found 3 that work for me. As far as mood stabilizers I have found 4 that work to some degree and 2 that really help.

I wouldn't take no from the doctor unless it was a male DR (remember the PTSD) and tried every drug combo.

We now we have a road map to go by. I can take the meds for only so long and they stop working like they did and the dose will be raised until I am on the max dose then it is time to go back to one of the others that work and for about 2 months feel like shit and I am very moody. And so and so fourth.

I have no problems with you saying the meds don't help because for some people they simply do NOT work. Just like with me X pill doesn't work but Y pill does???

Meds like Valium, Xanax and similar meds all work in the very similar way and the only one that will work for me is Valium, it will calm me down (make the anxiety get better not screw me up) I only take it when needed and how it was prescribed but the others I could eat like candy one right after another and still feel the same.

I wish I didn't have to take these damn pills because they are high. I might carry depending on the meds I am on $1000 or lots more out the door each month.

Good luck with your battle and I hope it is one that you can win, I see waking up to a new day a win because if you have ALMOST commented suicide as many times I have you would too. Many times I was just a trigger pull away.

The Wicked Hand... Thanks for posting your views on this illness and do agree with you on most all of your points, I just boils down to the person as to what will work or what won't or if anything will help.

Well done to you all who have told your personal stories about these dreadful illnesses. Unfortunately medications work differently with people so what works for one doesn't work for another as you say, I can take 3 valium and not feel any effect yet a friend can take 1 tablet & be in the clouds. I'm not sure about the "label" of the diagnosis as much as having an answer as to what the problem is - with a diagnosis help can be given whereas undiagnosed illnesses get nothing or little help.

Sorry to hear you are spending so much on meds per month, sheesh $1,000? We get scripts for $5.80 regardless of what it is unless it doesn't come under the Pharmaceutical Benefit Scheme, most Drs will make sure the meds do. I wonder why you are paying so much, is it because of your earnings or just the health system in general?

I wish you all the best of luck with your treatments and dealing with your situation, Big Country I hope you don't still feel suicidal as I know how low you can feel at this stage but make the choice to carry on as I'm sure there are many people who love you out there.

"It's impossible to say categorically whether Axl Rose is bipolar. Some of his behaviors - explosive anger, alcohol use in youth, substance abuse - could point to this, but could also be signs of post-traumatic stress disorder or other affective disorders. Accounts of his life give information about his childhood that is conflicting at times. Yet certainly he has had a turbulent life, and by all accounts, not a happy one."

I don't know whose quote this is supposed to be or whatver, but there is some truth it. It's been shown that abuse and neglect (especially in early childhood) leads to the brain being wired differently than in normal children; different neurological pathways, certain parts of the brain being more developed or less developed than usual, etc.

When these children than grow up, many have trouble regulating their emotions and moods, are overly sensitive and/or aggressive, often suffer from depression, have trouble forming healthy relationships to other people, have a tendency to think of things as either black or white with no middle ground between, have trouble accepting things like criticism and blame, ...

Not saying this necessarily is the case with Axl, but I think it's just as possible that Axl's behaviour really is just the way he is (or the way he was made by the experiences in his early life), rather than being caused by a specific mental illness.

But Axl being bi-polar would explain ALOT in terms of the late starts, previous cancelled shows, erratic behavior, numerous delays etc.

It doesn't really explain anything, it is just putting a label on Axl's personality, or forcing him into a psychological group with preconceived traits that may not all fit to the subject. We know about the late starts, cancelled shows, erratic behaviour, and whether this is all because he suffers from some psychological disorder with a name, or not, doesn't really matter and will not change anything. He is who he is. If you want an explanation for why these things occur, you'll need a molecular mechanistic understanding. In fact, if he has been diagnosed with one of the bipolar disorders many years ago, chances are he is not suffering from it anymore.

Wow, now the Axl detractors are diagnosing mental disorders on the internet and deluding themselves into thinking that if Axl takes prozac, he'll do a reunion. LMFAO

Ha! The general population apparently have convinced themselves into thinking they are e-psychiatrists now,unbelievable!

I'm nocturnal and always have been,guess I'd better rush off to a hospital :lol:

But Axl being bi-polar would explain ALOT in terms of the late starts, previous cancelled shows, erratic behavior, numerous delays etc.

It doesn't really explain anything, it is just putting a label on Axl's personality, or forcing him into a psychological group with preconceived traits that may not all fit to the subject. We know about the late starts, cancelled shows, erratic behaviour, and whether this is all because he suffers from some psychological disorder with a name, or not, doesn't really matter and will not change anything. He is who he is. If you want an explanation for why these things occur, you'll need a molecular mechanistic understanding. In fact, if he has been diagnosed with one of the bipolar disorders many years ago, chances are he is not suffering from it anymore.

Bipolar Article

Wow, now the Axl detractors are diagnosing mental disorders on the internet and deluding themselves into thinking that if Axl takes prozac, he'll do a reunion. LMFAO

No where did the OP say anything about a reunion.

Not everything is about a reunion, you know.

Dude have you even been reading his other posts recently? You may think I was out of left field with my comment, but let me tell you something: he is most definitely a disgruntled, stealth trolling anti-fan who is eternally mad at Axl for a host of bullshit reasons. The same is true of stumbleine, who is another unhappy pseudo-fan who spends all their time criticizing and taking pot shots at Axl.

So on the surface, it appears to be an "innocent" thread aimed at discussing Axl's psychology. But any psych major will tell you that bipoloar doesn't mean what the OP thinks it means (note the hetfield reference in support of his premise). In fact, the "list of evidence" contains other people's misunderstandings and resultant misuses of the word. The actual DSM IV definition of bi polar is recognized legally and medically. So anyway we've got the thread creator, who has repeatedly complained and criticized Axl constantly in threads now wanting to prove that Axl is bi polar. Praytell, WHY is he trying to prove this misbegotten point? Why? I'll tell you why. Because he's stealth trolling. That's why. Read the boards.

I made a joke about the reunion because it's a dagger which strikes right to the core of what the anti-Axl brigade can't admit: There will be no reunion nor reconciliation any time soon, if at all.

Spot on,I doubt most of these parasites have ever laid hands on a DSM IV, much less read one. :thumbsup:

Maybe he has bi-polar disorder but I think the changes in mood are a bi-product of a different mental issue. After being a fan so long, you end up thinking okay this guy probably has some problems. There's just too much there that any normal person.. normal celebrity even.. wouldn't do or think. His rambling letters, his mock interviews, his rants on this forum, his inability to do anything new in Guns yet making it seem like it's such an overwhelming struggle and he's working so hard, his never ceasing hate, the contracts throughout his career he presented everyone involved, his need for control.

Look at it this way... how many rock stars, "bad asses" that are celebrities etc, act and think the way he does by the time they reach his age? The only ones that are still act like that are the ones still doing drugs and the ones faking it. Axl just... well, he's different.

I'm no expert but these things almost always go back to childhood and it becomes pretty easy to believe something happened to him when he was younger. Which of course is a terrible shame that he seemingly still hasn't been able to work past.

Edited by The_Universal_Sigh

Um it explains quite a bit as I just mentioned. he even said he has been diagnosed bi-polar but he back tracked on it years ago. I know which statement makes more sense to me. It would be putting a label on Axl's personality if it were baseless but we have heard from numerous people(even Axl himself) that he is bi-polar. Some are more conservative about it than others but they all mean the same thing. Again, this is what I believe.

I think it is more likely he's always had crazy temper problems stemming from his child hood. That doesn't mean bi-polar. There is a difference between chemical and emotional. If you follow Slash and Duff's books, they paint a picture of young Axl jumping back and forth multiple times a day, every day. That is pretty rare for BPD, isn't it? Isn't it usually phases and not hitting both extremes multiple times a day for years at a time?

Um it explains quite a bit as I just mentioned. he even said he has been diagnosed bi-polar but he back tracked on it years ago. I know which statement makes more sense to me. It would be putting a label on Axl's personality if it were baseless but we have heard from numerous people(even Axl himself) that he is bi-polar. Some are more conservative about it than others but they all mean the same thing. Again, this is what I believe.

No, it doesn't explain anything. It is just a name. A name never explains, but sometimes describes. There is nothing to explain really, unless you are a neuroscientist working on molecular models of behaviour.

It is putting a label on personality. Any psychological labelling is exactly that. Labelling is important when it comes to treatment and medication, and in predicting future behavour, but has little value beyond this, especially not to us who know his behaviour in relation to the fanbase and can deal with that exact behaviour directly (e.g. complain about late starts), rather than deal with a psychological disorder few of us really understands and which might not fit perfectly with Axl's personality.

And besides, labeling Axl with bipolar disorder now because he was diagnosed with it ~ 20 years ago, is rather imprecise when this is not always a chronic disorder...

No, it doesn't explain anything. It is just a name. A name never explains, but sometimes describes. There is nothing to explain really, unless you are a neuroscientist working on molecular models of behaviour.

It is putting a label on personality. Any psychological labelling is exactly that. Labelling is important when it comes to treatment and medication, and in predicting future behavour, but has little value beyond this, especially not to us who know his behaviour in relation to the fanbase and can deal with that exact behaviour directly (e.g. complain about late starts), rather than deal with a psychological disorder few of us really understands and which might not fit perfectly with Axl's personality.

And besides, labeling Axl with bipolar disorder now because he was diagnosed with it ~ 20 years ago, is rather imprecise when this is not always a chronic disorder...

I personally "think" there has been enough evidence sustained in the last 25 years that Axl's behavior is indicative of bi-polar. That is my opinion. To me, it explains a lot. I don't even mean it in a negative way. It's just what I see. Can I be wrong? Sure. But I'm not pulling this notion out of thin air either.

I personally "think" there has been enough evidence sustained in the last 25 years that Axl's behavior is indicative of bi-polar. That is my opinion. To me, it explains a lot. I don't even mean it in a negative way. It's just what I see. Can I be wrong? Sure. But I'm not pulling this notion out of thin air either.

I am not really arguing the case whether he is bipolar (he could very well be), but the value to us of knowing it (AKA whether it explains anything). Saying a person is bipolar is an effective way of describing a person who suffers from a set of behaviour problems, rather than wasting time listing all these problems. If we label a person with this diagnosis when he hasn't got it, we affix certain behaviours to him that is false and we risk ignoring other behaviour traits that are real. As long as it isn't proven without doubt I would prefer that we talk about the perceived behavioural problems Axl suffers from, rather than just label him with a potential false diagnosis. What I mean is, there is no point in denying that Axl has* been a violent, moody, antagonistic, depressive, racist, misogynistic asshole and it is a helluva more precise description than "bipolar".

* I should probably stress the "has". Axl seems to have changed his ways a lot lately. I am actually starting to like him.

Edited by SoulMonster

Believe what you want but:

Yes Axl admitted to being diagnosed bi-polar, but he Also stated that he completely disagreed with the assesment. He stated that he encouraged to go to a therapist, with which he complied, and after one session, he was diagnosed bi-polar....

Just b/c he was diagnosed bi-polar by one person after one visit, does not mean he is bi-polar,that would be erroneous to pronounce an individual after one visit. :rolleyes:

He has admitted being in therapy to deal with some internal issues,I think a lot of people on this forum could benefit from some therapy. ;)

Yes Axl admitted to being diagnosed bi-polar, but he Also stated that he completely disagreed with the assesment. He stated that he encouraged to go to a therapist, with which he complied, and after one session, he was diagnosed bi-polar....

Just b/c he was diagnosed bi-polar by one person after one visit, does not mean he is bi-polar,that would be erroneous to pronounce an individual after one visit. :rolleyes:

He has admitted being in therapy to deal with some internal issues,I think a lot of people on this forum could benefit from some therapy. ;)

I know, but I'm not just basing this on the one time where Axl said he was diagnosed as bi-polar. Sure it is telling but not definitive. His actions and behavior over the years have led me to believe that it is more likely he is bi-polar than not. Statements from people that know or have known him(positively, negatively or neutral) have stated or alluded to the notion also. I don't think of this in a negative way at all. It's just an explanation as to why things are the way they are. The bi-polar 'label' comes from Axl's actions and the similarities his actions have to bi-polar tendencies. Just my stance on the whole thing. I could be totally wrong and take no shame if I am.

I am not really arguing the case whether he is bipolar (he could very well be), but the value to us of knowing it (AKA whether it explains anything). Saying a person is bipolar is an effective way of describing a person who suffers from a set of behaviour problems, rather than wasting time listing all these problems. If we label a person with this diagnosis when he hasn't got it, we affix certain behaviours to him that is false and we risk ignoring other behaviour traits that are real. As long as it isn't proven without doubt I would prefer that we talk about the perceived behavioural problems Axl suffers from, rather than just label him with a potential false diagnosis. What I mean is, there is no point in denying that Axl has* been a violent, moody, antagonistic, depressive, racist, misogynistic asshole and it is a helluva more precise description than "bipolar".

* I should probably stress the "has". Axl seems to have changed his ways a lot lately. I am actually starting to like him.

I can understand what you are saying. I'm merely saying that his bi-polar disorder(if it's true) is the root cause of his negative attributes. I have no doubt his very troubled upbringing and regression therapy are triggers as well. I sometimes forget how traumatizing it would be to have the experiences he had and finding out about them like he did(as an adult after blacking them out). Kind of makes me feel bad talking about it now.

I know, but I'm not just basing this on the one time where Axl said he was diagnosed as bi-polar. Sure it is telling but not definitive. His actions and behavior over the years have led me to believe that it is more likely he is bi-polar than not. Statements from people that know or have known him(positively, negatively or neutral) have stated or alluded to the notion also. I don't think of this in a negative way at all. It's just an explanation as to why things are the way they are. The bi-polar 'label' comes from Axl's actions and the similarities his actions have to bi-polar tendencies. Just my stance on the whole thing. I could be totally wrong and take no shame if I

I can understand what you are saying. I'm merely saying that his bi-polar disorder(if it's true) is the root cause of his negative attributes. I have no doubt his very troubled upbringing and regression therapy are triggers as well. I sometimes forget how traumatizing it would be to have the experiences he had and finding out about them like he did(as an adult after blacking them out). Kind of makes me feel bad talking about it now.

There are a Plethora of chemical imbalance that can affect behavior: PTSD,OCD,ODD and several other labels that society imparts on people,society feels the need to push the square pegs in round holes.

A single visit to a Psychiatrist can by no means diagnose a person,nor can the people on here.

Edited by sailaway

I can understand what you are saying. I'm merely saying that his bi-polar disorder(if it's true) is the root cause of his negative attributes.

I don't know. I don't consider "bipolar disorder" to be the root cause of anything but rather just a name for a collection of behavioural problems that seems to be co-correlated and found in a significant number of individuals. The root cause of these would be some deleterious neurological wiring caused by genetics or damaging experiences in the past.

To me, saying that someone suffers from "bipolar disorder" is just a short way of saying that an individual suffers from a specific set of behavioural traits, analogous to saying that someone suffers from "aggression" rather than "being physically violent", or that "leafs are green" rather than saying that they "reflect electromagnetic radiation in the 520-570 nm range while absorbing most other wavelengths".

But enough of this. Axl is 50 years old now. He should be judged by his current behaviour and not on how he acted while 25. He hasn't had a rant in ever so long, he hasn't attacked anyone for a long time, he seems to be happy and harmonious, he obviously makes an effort to start the shows earlier, he apologizes for current events, and he hasn't cancelled a show in ages. Whatever he struggled with before seems to be a thing in the past or at least successfully controlled. Whenever a person manages to turn things around, manages to improve himself, manages to overcome struggles, that should be observed, respected and honoured. I really don't see the value of laymen throwing diagnoses on him based on accumulated incidents over a long career. Let's focus on the positive here.