Let's revisit CD again, 3.5 years later

shotgunblues1978

Riad is my favorite song of the album. Since I first heard it in a bootleg from Vegas 2001 even before RIR 3, I knew it was the closest to "AFD in steroyds" or "Led Zeppelin remixed by NIN" descriptions and I knew the album would be amazing.

I love the riffs, Robin's lead following Axl's voice in the chorus, the cool chords on the rhythm guitar in the chorus and how the drums are by far the most amazing moment in the album.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

let's revisit CD again, 3.5 years later. CD. a historic moment. changes rock music. great riffs and solos by robin finck and buckethead. cool drumming by brain. hot vocals from axl. big songs. big ballads. the next illusion. i give it lots of spins. listen a lot. fav ballad on the record is This I Love. the next November Rain. Robin Finck stings you with a gut-wrenching solo. off the charts. explodes. right up there with slash best. modern edge. Axl brings the Phantom of the Opera vocals on the cutting edge ballad. wish could see Robin perform TIL live with Guns N Roses some day. fav rocker on the record is Better. Robin brings another big solo. classic rock. industrial. bluesy. axl nails the vocals. pretty cool up-tempo pace. high energy. reminds me of Sweet Child O' Mine. when Sweet Child was the "song" and a big music video on MTV. one can only imagine how music videos would have been on music TV for TIL and Better. honorable mentions: twat, if the world, and prostitute. there was a time feels like could have been in a big drug movie like johnny depp's blow or on The Sopranos. Robin and Bucket mesmerize your body and emotions with the solos. axl is telling a story on the vocals. a throw back to paradise city. if the world is pretty cool. could have been a james bond movie. buckethead brings a kick ass solo in the middle. axl surprises on the vocals. sounds pop. Prostitute. cool end. Buckethead brings it again with the guitar work. bittersweet lyrics. the outro reminds you of the Highlander movies. Sean Connery. Christopher Lambert. Chinese Democracy. the best rock record in the last 19 years. still relevant. very Cool

No other album sounds like it. It's in a genre of its own. And I love all of it. The riff on Chinese Democracy is one of the most powerful and awesome riffs I've heard. Definitely up there with WTTJ and SCOM. I just love how progressive the album is. It's way ahead of its time, which might explain why it wasn't an instant hit. I love how it's sophisticated but still brutal. And I feel like the next album is gonna be just as amazing, if not better. If that's even possible.

• 3 weeks later...

No other album sounds like it. It's in a genre of its own. And I love all of it. The riff on Chinese Democracy is one of the most powerful and awesome riffs I've heard. Definitely up there with WTTJ and SCOM. I just love how progressive the album is. It's way ahead of its time, which might explain why it wasn't an instant hit. I love how it's sophisticated but still brutal. And I feel like the next album is gonna be just as amazing, if not better. If that's even possible.

robin finck is responsible for the most powerful and awesome riff from the chinese democracy song you've ever heard

It's my favorite album since 2000. I love every track really. But I like NIN, Faith No More, Nirvana etc. even Korn. It's like a 90s super-album. Catcher and TWAT are really the centerpiece of the album.

robin finck is responsible for the most powerful and awesome riff from the chinese democracy song you've ever heard

Chinese Democracy is a fucking horrible song! Just awful!

Edited by Dazey

no... it's kinda good.... sweet little song.

Intro riff leading upto the pyro = awesome!

Last 20 seconds of Axl screaming = awesome!

All the rest of it = pile of utter refuse!

Intro riff leading upto the pyro = awesome!

Last 20 seconds of Axl screaming = awesome!

All the rest of it = pile of utter refuse!

nice vers , nice chorus and nice solos..... pretty good song :P

I absolutely love it. If I had one criticism, it is that I wish Axl would've recorded all vocals in the same year (06-07). It is a brilliant showcase for his voice but you don't get his renewed strength of 06-onwards for as many songs as I hoped.

Better is one of my favourite songs ever though, absolutely love that song.

Edited by Demon Wolf

The standouts are definatley TWAT, Catcher and Prostitute. Bucket shines on TWAT and prostitute, tons of great work on those tracks.

Rons solo on catcher is ok, i still much rather Brian Mays version.

I actually strongly dislike rons work on the album and it would of been much better to just have the finck/bucket combo do the guitar work.

I don't know what the fuck Fortus does on the album and don't really care.

Axl's vocals are great,but one thing i don't like is the multiple vocal layering. Its sounds better just one voice not 2-4 variations on top of each other. Just pick a fuckin voice axl goll.

Still holds up well though after a few years

Edited by Pegasus

Whenever there's a really cool high pitched screechy vocal melody it's doubled, or tripled, up with other vocal layers effects. Shackler's and CD are good examples. That, or they're run through terrible effects like the yells in Rhiad.

I've no idea what Tobias or Fortus contribute. If anything, they lack distinctive styles so you can't tell.

Edited by The_Universal_Sigh

It bores me. I can't get through a complete song on the second listening. I am sure some of it is due to listening to the live and better versions(IMO) of CD and The Blues(what the real name should be) early on. The GNR I prefer had songs that when i cranked them up as loud as it could go would give me a rush and sometimes chill bumps. This one, just no.

It's a shame to have a band that can affect you like a drug go to a band that can make you OD on boredom.

Edited by Rusty Cage

I feel the same way I did when I first heard the leaks and then again when the album was finally released...It is mediocre at best, not bad but nothing that makes me want to listen to it again.

And I actually agree with Volcano in that I listen only to live Guns shows when I want my fix but I only listen to old Guns as NuGuns shows so not interest me......

Edited by classicrawker

I just listened to the full thing yesterday. Such a great album. The only low parts for me, are the vocals on Madagascar and I.R.S.

IRS is fine but Madasgascar is missing the 2002 vocals. IMO it has not sounded the same since the VMA's 2002.

I feel the same way I did when I first heard the leaks and then again when the album was finally released...It is mediocre at best, not bad but nothing that makes me want to listen to it again.

And I actually agree with Volcano in that I listen only to live Guns shows when I want my fix but I only listen to old Guns as NuGuns shows so not interest me......

We all know I think the current lineup is the greatest thing in history but to be honest I listened to Coma 1992 in Chicago the other day....one of my guilty pleasures. :ph34r:

I just listened to the full thing yesterday. Such a great album. The only low parts for me, are the vocals on Madagascar and I.R.S.

Whoah vocals on Madagascar are AWESOME!! Axl sounds like he's got that "trying-not-to-cry" voice and all... love it.

Whoah vocals on Madagascar are AWESOME!! Axl sounds like he's got that "trying-not-to-cry" voice and all... love it.

It's just by the time the album came out we were used to the EPIC versions from 2002.

It's just by the time the album came out we were used to the EPIC versions from 2002.

Yeah, I can imagine that. Before CD was released I literally only knew PC, WTTJ and SCOM when it came to GnR.