Slash's solos.

YOUCOULDBEMINE.

I'm not hating on Slash here and have no intention to start anti-Slash threads.

Anyway. After giving Apocalyptic Love a few listens it bothers me that Slash's solo's seem a bit ''messy''.

I don't know if you know what I mean but it seems to me that Slash made them up while they were recording the songs.

What I always loved about Slash's solos is that they seem to tell a story.

The solo on Anastacia was pretty cool though. I like that song.

What I'm trying to say is that his solos always sounded tight, the solos on Apocalyptic Love dissappointed me at some points.

ahahahahahahha

Dude, if you have no intention to comment on my questions just leave already

If I was trying to cupcake or anything you would've noticed. But since you joined in March I don't think you know much about my trolling days.

And if you got your username from Tommy's ''Motivation'', what did you think of the rest of Village Gorilla Head?

Edited by UcudBmineCD

I know what you mean. The solos were fairly disappointing on Apocalyptic Love. Even with Anastacia, it's the opening riff that makes the song IMO, the solo itself doesn't really grab me.

But then I've always found Slash's solos to be as inspired as the material he's playing on - and the songs aren't really up to much on the new album. There's only a small handful of truly worthy tracks on the whole record (namely Crazy Life, No More Heroes, Anastacia and Not For Me). The rest? Meh.

ahahahahahahha

Dude, if you have no intention to comment on my questions just leave already

If I was trying to cupcake or anything you would've noticed. But since you joined in March I don't think you know much about my trolling days.

And if you got your username from Tommy's ''Motivation'', what did you think of the rest of Village Gorilla Head?

1. I'm lurking here a few years ago, so i know your trolling abilities are "great".

2. I like the song (Motivation) and i like the VGH album ,but nothing really special. I pick this username, because i listened to this song when i register here.

But on topic::

I love Slash solos on this album, Anastasia is a masterpiece and a few other solos are great on this album. But i know you hate Slash so much, that's why i post "ahahahahahaha"

I think slash mention that in an interview once that he felt they were sloppy or spontaneous but in a good way I guess to me personally most of his solos in this album are awesome but I can understand why someone would be turned off by them since they are a little off from what slash normally produces

I agree with the point that the solo will only be as inspired as the material. This stuff sounds like toss away riffs he made at sound checks with gnr and VR that the band didn't like that he has accumulated over 20 years and is putting them out. A few exceptions, Anastasia clearly being one, but even in that there's that generic blues rock song in the middle of what is some inspired guitar playing.

It isn't just the solos. It's the music too. But whatever makes him happy to play I guess.

He's got some incredible moments on this album. The riffs and the solos are bloody good.

Agreed. Although he doesn't do the down n' dirty bluesy rock n roll quite as well as he used to do it with snakepit.

Sure he does, he just adds other elements onto it. He's a different player than he was in 1995 or even 2000. Much more seasoned.

He's got some incredible moments on this album. The riffs and the solos are bloody good.

Agreed. Although he doesn't do the down n' dirty bluesy rock n roll quite as well as he used to do it with snakepit.

Sure he does, he just adds other elements onto it. He's a different player than he was in 1995 or even 2000. Much more seasoned.

Seasoned yes, but I think he's moved in a different direction to what he was back then. His style of playing is a bit different now from the snake pit records. Although I do like it and really dig his new record. I think the main thing is that he's nothing like as sloppy a player he was back then.

wouldn't say that. That's being awfully unkind to a dude who for all intents and purposes, is playing his ass off these days, maybe more so in the last 2/3 years, than for a long time before that.

Edited by moreblack

Guest RonMexico82

There are only so may masterpieces that any artist can have. Slash has more than his fair share. His albums always have a few good solos and at least one where I go - "wow".

There are only so may masterpieces that any artist can have. Slash has more than his fair share. His albums always have a few good solos and at least one where I go - "wow".

I agree.

These guys are moving into their 50s. Their most relevant material has been put out. Like Dylan, McCartney or even "younger" guys like Aerosmith and Ozzy - their new stuff still has some highlights and artistic merit but it will just never be what their stuff was like when these guys were in their 20s & 30s.

Rock N Roll is a young man's game.

I agree.

These guys are moving into their 50s. Their most relevant material has been put out. Like Dylan, McCartney or even "younger" guys like Aerosmith and Ozzy - their new stuff still has some highlights and artistic merit but it will just never be what their stuff was like when these guys were in their 20s & 30s.

Rock N Roll is a young man's game.

I agree completely with this and the same goes for most of slash contemporaries and even former band mates. To think that slash could create another "coma" or something like that is kinda out there I mean most musicians now a days can barley compete with slashes new album n thats saying a lot. I like slash new album it's fun but I didn't go into it thinking it was going to be something in the lines of his GnR days or even snakepit days that would just be setting the album to fail

I think he has been saying since VR started that his solos have been becoming more and more 'spontaneous' and you do often get the feeling of 'I had thirty seconds to fill and that does the job' rather than 'this takes the song to the next level'.

He mentioned in an interview I read that this album was recorded in most cases in one take and he did not go back and fix mistakes because he wanted it to be spontaneous.

IMHO if you study the careers of most bands/ artists they create the bulk of their most popular work in the first 6-8 years of their careers. Go look at the old bands who are still making music like the Stones, Aerosmith, Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, etc.

The bulk of their most popular music was recorded in the first 8 years of their careers. Their newer material, while still very good, can be hit or miss.

Slash's solo material will never equal hiswork in Guns but it is still pretty damn good if you like his style of music.

By The Sword, Starlight, I Hold On, those are one of the best solos he's ever written, all from his last album..

he's always been like that, he does what comes out natural and if that scares people.. good.. Lies, UYI, AFD, they all had normal solos and a few that stand out, same as Snakepit, VR and these last 2 albums