How do you feel now that two extremes of stupidity in the Gn'R world (Volcano and BBA) are back to flame with each other ?

realpoti

As far as I can see 99% of the bitching, with a few notable exceptions, is simply as a result of the old regime coddling the NuBand fans far too much and censoring any (frequently justified) criticism.

The place has a far better balance of fans from all points of view now and I think some people who don't like not having it all their own way anymore are upset by it.

That's why I'd like to see a merging of the old and new band sections cos it does get some good and genuine debate going. If people don't like what others say they can put them on ignore or not click on their threads.

Interesting.

I think we've got to address the issue that's been on this forum since Ive been here (first time around, 2003). Clearly there are HUGE new GNR fans, HUGE old GNR fans, and then there's fans that like both/all forms and don't have extreme views. So let me state this; whilst you'll NEVER prevent conflict in this regard, the plan that we've devised (needs signing off with all mods and it's about 90% there) will address the current problems and members of both NEW and OLD line ups with be pleased, I'm certain of it - as well, when we announce the restructure (4/5 weeks) we've got a cool update for you all :)

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting.

I think we've got to address the issue that's been on this forum since Ive been here (first time around, 2003). Clearly there are HUGE new GNR fans, HUGE old GNR fans, and then there's fans that like both/all forms and don't have extreme views. So let me state this; whilst you'll NEVER prevent conflict in this regard, the plan that we've devised (needs signing off with all mods and it's about 90% there) will address the current problems and members of both NEW and OLD line ups with be pleased, I'm certain of it - as well, when we announce the restructure (4/5 weeks) we've got a cool update for you all :)

I think that the major issue is people want to talk about the old band in relation to the new band and the old members but nobody wants to post in a dead section. It's not that people don't want to discuss things that would fit in the old sections they just would rather post in the active parts of the forum.

Interesting.

I think that the major issue is people want to talk about the old band in relation to the new band and the old members but nobody wants to post in a dead section. It's not that people don't want to discuss things that would fit in the old sections they just would rather post in the active parts of the forum.

I think its fair to say the former gunner section is pushed aside and almost like, an after thought? That section needs to be seen as more active right? It will be. Can we do that and keep it pro NEW GNR here AND allow constructive criticism? I think we can and we will.

Again, that will be addressed.

I think its fair to say the former gunner section is pushed aside and almost like, an after thought?

Exactly! It's like SS said about that Slash thread he posted. He would have posted it in the old section but he wanted people to see it. I tend to click on the new content tab but I think most people just tend to stick to certain sections because of the activity so the sections seen as dead remain so.

Interesting.

I think its fair to say the former gunner section is pushed aside and almost like, an after thought? That section needs to be seen as more active right? It will be. Can we do that and keep it pro NEW GNR here AND allow constructive criticism? I think we can and we will.

Subsy, you need to have a clear idea inside your head as to what you want from this forum, and not let others influence you.

If you are investing money here, you need to have a good business head on your shoulders, and let comon sense direct you.

There is a good opportunity here where old mygnr and new mygnr can mix. I do not like some new posters, but alot of them are popular, and your goal here, possibly, is to mix the old crowd with the new crowd and please everyone.

Interesting.

Subsy, you need to have a clear idea inside your head as to what you want from this forum, and not let others influence you.

If you are investing money here, you need to have a good business head on your shoulders, and let comon sense direct you.

There is a good opportunity here where old mygnr and new mygnr can mix. I do not like some new posters, but alot of them are popular, and your goal here, possibly, is to mix the old crowd with the new crowd and please everyone.

What, you only lasted a day!!!

No offense Mysteron (and i mean this) but do you honestly not think i have a clear plan in my head about the direction of the forum medium to long term? I mean seriously now??

I appreciate the note (I think) but i know what I need to do mate, but i think some people think it's a case of clicking a few buttons and making ot happen!:tongue2:

You're in business right? Would like to think I'm a decent level too - Would you take on a big project without having a plan or strategy? Also, would you jump into action feet first or would you get your team inplace/mop up what you perceive to be a mess sorted out behind the scenes first, before implementing your strategy? Then consider (like High and other mods) we're all holding down work/family/distractions/etc...

We both know the answer - If you'll be kind enough to give me time, I think all faith will be restored. If you, or others, expect me click my fingers and 'make it happen' over -night then...

Right now this forum is just plain shit because it's being overrun by annoying dumb cupcakes. BBA and Volcano aren't even the worst examples here.

Big Rocket King, ThomasMeadow, MSL.. Plus the large number of idiots that were allowed back.

The long, personal and most of all pointless discussions these people keep creating ruin thread after thread.

And as a result of that, the forum.

Actually it's posts like this that make the forum shit. Why the hell would you say something like that? You act like this place was fuckin Disney 2 months ago.

Pointless discussions?? Did you get lost and forget you're on a Guns N Roses forum? :laugh:

TM doesn't have 1 active thread right now in AG, MSL isn't taken seriously and I've noticed more people ignoring his posts (myself included) , and I have no idea who Big Rocket King is, so apparently he hasn't made much of an impression. And quite frankly I've been more annoyed by many "regular" members here than a majority of the "returned" ones. This place has become very active again since Subs and High took over, that's not the same as being overrun by cupcakes. Just a lot more people with a lot of differing opinions. Isn't that what forums are all about?!

I personally think this place is the best it's been since I joined, and it sounds like there's even more to look forward to.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I couldn't agree more, P4A.

I too think it's really cool that the new admins respond to us when we make suggestions. They ask us for them, they reply about them and let us know what they think. They've been very open about it all too and said what time frame we can expect things to happen in. I see no reason for people to complain so much. I agree, the forum might very well have it's best days right now. I mean, obviously it was more active and we still miss some of the old quality posters from back in the days, but the way our new admins have been open about how they intend to run the board looks very promising and the board is more active than it's been for years. I agree with what someone said too, if the old GNR fans would be allowed to discuss their band, albums, members, etc. in an active section, it wouldn't be so much derailing and bashing in the other threads. I think that's the way to go. I'm happy with what I've see so far! :thumbsup:

PS. I feel like I've been such an ass kisser recently, but I have always tried to give mods positive criticism as well as any eventual negative one, just for the fact that I know that they get a lot more when they do something that people aren't happy with. So I think it's fair that they get some praise when we're happy with them. :lol: I always did this though, so it isn't something new.

I couldn't agree more, P4A.

I too think it's really cool that the new admins respond to us when we make suggestions. They ask us for them, they reply about them and let us know what they think. They've been very open about it all too and said what time frame we can expect things to happen in. I see no reason for people to complain so much. I agree, the forum might very well have it's best days right now. I mean, obviously it was more active and we still miss some of the old quality posters from back in the days, but the way our new admins have been open about how they intend to run the board looks very promising and the board is more active than it's been for years. I agree with what someone said too, if the old GNR fans would be allowed to discuss their band, albums, members, etc. in an active section, it wouldn't be so much derailing and bashing in the other threads. I think that's the way to go. I'm happy with what I've see so far! :thumbsup:

PS. I feel like I've been such an ass kisser recently, but I have always tried to give mods positive criticism as well as any eventual negative one, just for the fact that I know that they get a lot more when they do something that people aren't happy with. So I think it's fair that they get some praise when we're happy with them. :lol: I always did this though, so it isn't something new.

Agreed. The fact that the new admin is even allowing this discussion shows how far the forum has come. Try starting a thread like this a year ago. It would have been ignored by the former admin, and GG or zint would have cruised on in just to lock it. The current admin WANTS input, however, that's not the same as bitching. I think some members have their expectations set way to high, and in such a short amount of time. Completely unrealistic. There's a way to say things and suggest things. The sudden sense of entitlement and the restlessness in the tone of some of these posts are mind boggling. How about we be glad the forum is even up and running right now, and enjoy it for what it is.

It wouldn't be a "dead section" if people would post there. It is that simple.

Stop intruding upon other sections with whatever you personally feel is important with no regard for the clear sectioning of the forum. It is a matter of respect to the admins and to your fellow members.

Stop intruding upon other sections with whatever you personally feel is important with no regard for the clear sectioning of the forum. It is a matter of respect to the admins and to your fellow members.

:violin:

Errr, no! It's not that simple. It's like seeing a bar fight kick off and wanting to break it up but not wanting to take the first punch. It would need an organised effort by a bunch of people at once which isn't going to happen easily and the people who want to post a topic aren't going to post it somewhere it isn't going to get read. Once again, if you don't like it and unless it's obvious trolling simply ignore it or put the poster on ignore.

Oh and I'll see Arnold's :violin: and raise you a :violin: :violin: ;)

Agreed. The fact that the new admin is even allowing this discussion shows how far the forum has come. Try starting a thread like this a year ago. It would have been ignored by the former admin, and GG or zint would have cruised on in just to lock it. The current admin WANTS input, however, that's not the same as bitching. I think some members have their expectations set way to high, and in such a short amount of time. Completely unrealistic. There's a way to say things and suggest things. The sudden sense of entitlement and the restlessness in the tone of some of these posts are mind boggling. How about we be glad the forum is even up and running right now, and enjoy it for what it is.

Great post! I would add though that Zint's been great since the change of ownership. Can't really fault the guy at all in his moderating and attitude.

Errr, no! It's not that simple. It's like seeing a bar fight kick off and wanting to break it up but not wanting to take the first punch. It would need an organised effort by a bunch of people at once which isn't going to happen easily and the people who want to post a topic aren't going to post it somewhere it isn't going to get read. Once again, if you don't like it and unless it's obvious trolling simply ignore it or put the poster on ignore.

It is obvious trolling when people keep polluting the main section with irrelevant trivia about some ex-members who haven't been part of GN'R for god knows how long. Just because you believe a certain subject is interesting doesn't give you any right to post it wherever you want. And if there is no sections on this forum where it naturally fits in, either because such a section simply doesn't exist, or because no one will visit the section to read it, then you are either on the wrong forum or you are interested in things no one else is. And that, bluntly, is only your own problem.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Obviously there is an interest for it though, because each one of those threads go many pages. Plus that the almost anti-old GNR agenda this board had the last few years chased away many of the old GNR fans.

It is obvious trolling when people keep polluting the main section with irrelevant trivia about some ex-members who haven't been part of GN'R for god knows how long. Just because you believe a certain subject is interesting doesn't give you any right to post it wherever you want. And if there is no sections on this forum where it naturally fits in, either because such a section simply doesn't exist, or because no one will visit the section to read it, then you are either on the wrong forum or you are interested in things no one else is. And that, bluntly, is only your own problem.

I thought it was an entertaining thread. Many others thought it was an entertaining thread. If you don't like it, don't read it and don't post in it. Also I'm not the one crying about it so in fairness whose problem is it really? ;)

Edited by Dazey

Obviously there is an interest for it though, because each one of those threads go many pages.

Every thread in the main section will draw some attention because it is displayed to MANY more members (even obvious cupcake threads may survive for a long time) since most active members want to talk about the current lineup and remain in that section. And this is actually Dazey's justification for posting irrelevant threads in that section. The idea being that if these threads aren't there then no one will read them! Exactly: If these threads are so uninteresting that people won't bother to pay attention to them or spend the time to check their section regularly, then they can't really be very interesting to members. I bet this fact must be very uncomfortable to people who live in the past and wants to discuss old ex-members as if they are still relevant to GN'R. So they keep on posting them in the main section either because they want to cupcake the forum or because they mistake the attention the threads gather as some kind of warped validation that they really belonged in that section, completely disregarding that most of the response is a direct reaction to the pollution of the section and to the drama that unfolds.

Basically, what the forum is saying through its sectioning is: We don't care about what you care about, but we have made a section for you anyway and although we won't spend time there we hope you won't pollute other sections with your irrelevant interests. It's magnanimous from the admins and it is disrespectful to not adhere to this sectioning.

I thought it was an entertaining thread. Many others thought it was an entertaining thread. If you don't like it, don't read it and don't post in it. Also I'm not the one crying about it so in fairness whose problem is it really? ;)

Ultimately it is only the admins problem. Because if they don't stop all the fighting it will drive away the majority of members who are not interested in the constant, ensuing drama. It is obvious that there is a small but vocal minority who really enjoys all the drama and wants to prolong it. Members who are more interested in the social aspects of a fan community than the band itself, and really takes pleasure in the constant bickering, jokes, feuds... The problem is of course that all this drama takes focus away from the band itself, and the majority of members, who come here to read news, to discuss the band, will be less motivated to remain because they will have to sift through lots of irrelevant, repetitive posts to find what they thought the forum was about. mygnrforum risk ending up like so many GN'R fan forums: a small club for a few members who treat the forum as their own private pub.

There may be a level of too much drama and fighting but if you can't handle it, you should probably spend less time on the internet. There are only 2 things guaranteed on the internet, porn and drama.

I have no problems handling it, in fact, I rarely back away from some arguing and some might say I seek conflicts, but that doesn't mean it is the best for the forum, and I would also prefer to argue over something relevant to GN'R and not argue over cupcakes posting in the wrong sections.

Ultimately it is only the admins problem. Because if they don't stop all the fighting it will drive away the majority of members who are not interested in the constant, ensuing drama. It is obvious that there is a small but vocal minority who really enjoys all the drama and wants to prolong it. Members who are more interested in the social aspects of a fan community than the band itself, and really takes pleasure in the constant bickering, jokes, feuds... The problem is of course that all this drama takes focus away from the band itself, and the majority of members, who come here to read news, to discuss the band, will be less motivated to remain because they will have to sift through lots of irrelevant, repetitive posts to find what they thought the forum was about. mygnrforum risk ending up like so many GN'R fan forums: a small club for a few members who treat the forum as their own private pub.

That is the exact reason why I left another GN'R forum and returned to MYGNR! So I really hope that it's not what's gonna happen to this place. As for now I think MYGNR has the potential to be the biggest and best GN'R forum out there and as Subs said a lot of things are still undergoing change and it's gonna take a while so though people (including myself) sometimes gets frustrated we just need to be patient and wait for the final changes to be made and hopefully it will result in the drama going down a bit around here.

Ultimately it is only the admins problem. Because if they don't stop all the fighting it will drive away the majority of members who are not interested in the constant, ensuing drama.

Except that the only drama relating to that thread was from people crying over its existence. It wasn't derailing any other discussion and the only issues in the thread itself were from a few people trolling it.

I have no problems handling it.

Yet you're still going on about it. :rolleyes:

Every thread in the main section will draw some attention because it is displayed to MANY more members (even obvious cupcake threads may survive for a long time) since most active members want to talk about the current lineup and remain in that section. And this is actually Dazey's justification for posting irrelevant threads in that section. The idea being that if these threads aren't there then no one will read them! Exactly: If these threads are so uninteresting that people won't bother to pay attention to them or spend the time to check their section regularly, then they can't really be very interesting to members. I bet this fact must be very uncomfortable to people who live in the past and wants to discuss old ex-members as if they are still relevant to GN'R. So they keep on posting them in the main section either because they want to cupcake the forum or because they mistake the attention the threads gather as some kind of warped validation that they really belonged in that section, completely disregarding that most of the response is a direct reaction to the pollution of the section and to the drama that unfolds.

Basically, what the forum is saying through its sectioning is: We don't care about what you care about, but we have made a section for you anyway and although we won't spend time there we hope you won't pollute other sections with your irrelevant interests. It's magnanimous from the admins and it is disrespectful to not adhere to this sectioning.

Goodness me, you need to calm down or it's you that'll be getting sectioned! <_<

There may be a level of too much drama and fighting but if you can't handle it, you should probably spend less time on the internet. There are only 2 things guaranteed on the internet, porn and drama.

I have no problems handling it, in fact, I rarely back away from some arguing and some might say I seek conflicts, but that doesn't mean it is the best for the forum, and I would also prefer to argue over something relevant to GN'R and not argue over cupcakes posting in the wrong sections.

Segregating the forum doesn't help anything. All it does is give people reasons to cry about criticism by wanting them exiled. It's also very clear that some users(yourself included) just want to bitch and argue with people they have profiled as "haters" regardless of the subject. There will always be a natural divide between fans. There are several examples of forums trying to segregate the fanbase and/or exiling opinions they feel are not pro-Axl. It didn't go well at all. Allowing diverse opinions made this board the best and to turn a 180 is what would be bad for the forum, IMO.

You aren't being fed the topics and there is an ignore feature. Any problem with what you read is most of the time, the fault of the reader choosing to read it. Any topic without opposing opinions usually dies. Don't contribute to it if you don't want to see it.