There Was A Time

wasted

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There Was A Time is probably the biggest, most rocking song on CD. At has the verses and riffs of Paradise City and all the epic GNR solos you could want. probably the most GNR song on CD out the ballads. Just as Chi Dem sort of maps out the territory like Jungle did, TWAT expands the perimeter of the crime scene like Paradise City did. One of the essential tracks off CD.

robin finck and buckethead make twat an essential track of our time

Axl spans 4 octaves in this song, it's just wow.

I love the backing vocals stuff, Axl's voice is insanely low on the chorus and backing vocals after Robin's solo are so epic. I also love the drum parts. This song is just perfect, very gray and black.

There Was A Time when Axl could write better songs than There Was A Time.

No! There was a time when he wrote different songs than There Was A Time, but not necessarily better. TWAT is brilliant :)

There Was A Time is more like the Estranged of Chinese Democracy.

Yep! That's what I always thought :)

It is the centerpiece of the album, in my opinion.

Agreed. This. If it wasn't meant to be the main song, it darn well should have been.

But I really wouldn't call it Paradise City of the album. PC to me has always been to me an anthem not just with respect to GnR but rock in general. To me PC is up there with We Will Rock You and Back in Black. TWAT just doesn't bring about the same feeling and imagery in my mind that PC does.

TWAT to me is more like the Estranged of the album (actually I've always looked at it as the squeal to Estranged) yet the last few minuets and the outro reminds be of SCOM if anything.

I love TWAT smiley-heart.gif

Every now and then I confess to being liable to skipping the first couple of minutes. Let's get to the wailing already.

laugh.gif LOL. I do that all the time - I skip to where the acoustic guitar kicks in every time I'm at the end of my workout or at the hardest part of my routine, or when I just can't run anymore and need to get through the last couple of minutes. Every day. I just love that song.

I think TWAT is a mediocre decent song, but nothing more. I think ALOT of the guitar solo praise comes from the fact that it is one of the few solos on CD that is similar to Slash (be real people). Its a good solo. No doubt. But IT IS NOT on the same level of November Rain, Estranged, SCOM, PC, ETC, ETC. I mean COME ON! REALLY?!! :rofl-lol:

OMFG, Its a decent melodic solo on CD! Bucket and Robin are GUITAR GODS! Just because a solo is put together pretty decent and you can hum it, doesnt mean that it makes the song so EPIC.

Axl pieced it together from various takes anyways, so Bucket and Robin didnt even play those series of notes that appear on the final cut.

OFF: I can see Bucket's POV of wanting to leave. Axl Rose took his solo and chopped it, flipped it, and turned it out.

Maybe Bucket felt like a bit of a prostituite, and skidadulled.

I think TWAT is a mediocre decent song, but nothing more. I think ALOT of the guitar solo praise comes from the fact that it is one of the few solos on CD that is similar to Slash (be real people). Its a good solo. No doubt. But IT IS NOT on the same level of November Rain, Estranged, SCOM, PC, ETC, ETC. I mean COME ON! REALLY?!! :rofl-lol: OMFG, Its a decent melodic solo on CD! Bucket and Robin are GUITAR GODS! Just because a solo is put together pretty decent and you can hum it, doesnt mean that it makes the song so EPIC.Axl pieced it together from various takes anyways, so Bucket and Robin didnt even play those series of notes that appear on the final cut.OFF: I can see Bucket's POV of wanting to leave. Axl Rose took his solo and chopped it, flipped it, and turned it out.Maybe Bucket felt like a bit of a prostituite, and skidadulled.

Slash couldn't even touch that solo. Be real man.

This. Not bashing Slash, Buckethead's nowhere near the man in terms of name and songwrirting but Slash hasn't come up with a solo anywhere near the TWAT solo since the UYI days.

I think TWAT is a mediocre decent song, but nothing more. I think ALOT of the guitar solo praise comes from the fact that it is one of the few solos on CD that is similar to Slash (be real people). Its a good solo. No doubt. But IT IS NOT on the same level of November Rain, Estranged, SCOM, PC, ETC, ETC. I mean COME ON! REALLY?!! :rofl-lol: OMFG, Its a decent melodic solo on CD! Bucket and Robin are GUITAR GODS! Just because a solo is put together pretty decent and you can hum it, doesnt mean that it makes the song so EPIC.Axl pieced it together from various takes anyways, so Bucket and Robin didnt even play those series of notes that appear on the final cut.OFF: I can see Bucket's POV of wanting to leave. Axl Rose took his solo and chopped it, flipped it, and turned it out.Maybe Bucket felt like a bit of a prostituite, and skidadulled.

This. Not bashing Slash, Buckethead's nowhere near the man in terms of name and songwrirting but Slash hasn't come up with a solo anywhere near the TWAT solo since the UYI days.

Even if asked to play it note for note he couldn't do it.

There's a ton of great solos on Chinese Democracy. Madagascar, both Better solos, SOD, Catcher in the Rye, Sorry, If The World, This I Love, Shackler's Revenge. All different solos worthy of just as much praise as TWAT or any Slash solo. The only ones Slash can play are the ones DJ Ashba can barely play.

Even if asked to play it note for note he couldn't do it.

There's a ton of great solos on Chinese Democracy. Madagascar, both Better solos, SOD, Catcher in the Rye, Sorry, If The World, This I Love, Shackler's Revenge. All different solos worthy of just as much praise as TWAT or any Slash solo. The only ones Slash can play are the ones DJ Ashba can barely play.

Yea Slash couldn't play TWAT but any teen with a guitar and a CD tab book can.....You keep believing that, buddy. :rofl-lol:

I agree that Slsh's work since UYI hasnt been completely up to the standards set previously, but to act like he cant play there was a time, when twinks on the youtube can, is laughable, along with your obvious bias.