The begining of nu-GN'R - how it all started

Kohler

It not a nameless entity, it's called "Guns N' Roses", a California partnership.

http://web.archive.org/web/20040612223614/http://celebrityjustice.warnerbros.com/documents/04/05/gnr.pdf

Slash and Duff were suing Axl in 2004 on behalf the partnership. They refer to Axl as a former partner because he left and took the rights to perform under the name with him while Slash and Duff were left control of the remaining assets. MSL characterization isn't really accurate.

You're better off reading the lawsuit than reading it from the lips of MSL. It makes more sense and is less condescending.

So you are saying the accusation made on page at the top about the notice of exiting the partnership would be false? Do you think they put that in the lawsuit as a lie? Wouldn't that be fraud? Where do you come up with your claims MSL?

You're the one with all the facts.

You act like you are an oracle of GN'R information but you are just a shill.

Did Slash and Duff leave before August 31st, 1995?

There really isn't any more point in discussing this with you. I don't know if your account was hacked but talking with you is just a waste of time.

Slash has released 6 CDs of new music since leaving Guns...

but none comparable to "Chinese Democracy"

Sometimes jealousy can be a real bitch. SeBaz, you're right when you say that. Chines Democracy is none comparable to any Slash album and to me it's just a mediocre album, Slash on the other hand still has it in him to release a kick ass rock n' roll album.

Sometimes jealousy can be a real bitch. SeBaz, you're right when you say that. Chines Democracy is none comparable to any Slash album and to me it's just a mediocre album, Slash on the other hand still has it in him to release a kick ass rock n' roll album.

In my opinion, Slash hasn't done anything great other than Contraband. The new album is TERRIBLE minus two songs. Again, its my opinion.

like MSL said right now..."like whatever you like"

in my opinion robin finck and buckethead deliver kick ass rock n' roll with the chinese democracy album

Where did this 30-page-monster come from? :question:

But since Slash's "nice story" resulted in that much feedback, Axl was probably wrong when he wrote "you talk too much, you say I do, the difference is nobody cares about you" - cos obviously, some people DO care what our beloved attention w-you-know-what-hore had to say at this time :xmassrudolph:

Edited by A.J.

Where did this 30-page-monster come from? :question:

But since Slash's "nice story" resulted in that much feedback, Axl was probably wrong when he wrote "you talk too much, you say I do, the difference is nobody cares about you" - cos obviously, some people DO care what our beloved attention w-you-know-what-hore had to say at this time :xmassrudolph:

Nope man, this thread is completely MSL vs. The world.

why would Slash agree to that deal where if they left Axl could continue on with the name, who signed that? who would and why?

Considering the amount of drugs he was on at the time, I'm not sure even Slash himself (assuming he was even willing to be honest) would be able to tell you exactly what he was thinking in 1991.

I can only assume that since Axl did legitimately come up with the name and it was very important to him that he not have to fight over the rights of the name if the band ever broke up, that the other members agreed to go along with it to keep him happy. The same way that Axl agreed to give Adler songwriting credit in '87 to save the band, I would imagine Slash and Duff felt like they were being put in a similar situation in '91.

that's kind of where they say he forced them, cos if they didn't then no more tour etc. but they can't prove that i guess.

i thought maybe that if they just sat there and didn't quit then they still be in that situation where they were equal. but that might lead to other legal things.

drugs could have played a role, especially in terms of patience. but in the end they had the money to quit.

why would Slash agree to that deal where if they left Axl could continue on with the name, who signed that? who would and why?

Slash answers that question in the Howard Stern interview.

"Axl had a plan to sort of take over the whole sort of Guns N' Roses thing, and we gave up the name and all that kind of stuff and no one really gave a shit cause the premise was if it breaks up then I don't wanna keep doing it, if it breaks up no one cares."

The translation is only Axl thought there was value in continuing to perform under the GNR name, unlike for instance LA Guns where multiple members wanted to retain the name and so now there are two different bands performing under the same LA Guns name.

I think it was a wise decision by Axl to keep the name, because I do believe a portion of the fans who now attend GNR concerts would not do so if Axl was performing solo or if he was part of a band with a different name. Just think about all the younger fans who have attended GNR concerts during the past decade, they can now say they saw the legendary band GNR just like their parents did back in the 80's and early 90's.

Edited by The Linguini Occurrence

"Axl had a plan to sort of take over the whole sort of Guns N' Roses thing, and we gave up the name and all that kind of stuff and no one really gave a shit cause the premise was if it breaks up then I don't wanna keep doing it, if it breaks up no one cares."

The translation is only Axl thought there was value in continuing to perform under the GNR name, unlike for instance LA Guns where multiple members wanted to retain the name and so now there are two different bands performing under the same LA Guns name.

I think it was a wise decision by Axl to keep the name, because I do believe a portion of the fans who now attend GNR concerts would not do so if Axl was performing solo or if he was part of a band with a different name. Just think about all the younger fans who have attended GNR concerts during the past decade, they can now say they saw the legendary band GNR just like their parents did back in the 80's and early 90's.

it was a smart business decision that ensure financial stability for the rest of his life

it's all about the benjamins baby

it was a smart business decision that ensure financial stability for the rest of his life

it's all about the benjamins baby

Yeah but Axl does not do it for the money right?......... :shrugs:

Slash and Duff were either too drugged, too stupid or too trusting to understand what signing the name over would mean down the road and what it would cost them. Credit where it's due, Axl certainly had the forsight to understand the value of it.

Slash and Duff were either too drugged, too stupid or too trusting to understand what signing the name over would mean down the road and what it would cost them. Credit where it's due, Axl certainly had the forsight to understand the value of it.

Either way it leaves an unpleasant taste. Even if you assume he did it for noble reasons and one of your suggestions above is true he took advantage of them.

For example if it was about protection he could have payed them for their share, I know that might sound odd but surely that wouldn't be as unpleasant. Granted they get royalties but I'm sure the value of the band was far greater than royalties.

Some might argue that mutual disbanding would have afforded the same protection without ugliness.

Either way it leaves an unpleasant taste. Even if you assume he did it for noble reasons and one of your suggestions above is true he took advantage of them.

For example if it was about protection he could have payed them for their share, I know that might sound odd but surely that wouldn't be as unpleasant. Granted they get royalties but I'm sure the value of the band was far greater than royalties.

Some might argue that mutual disbanding would have afforded the same protection without ugliness.

This!...there were better ways to do it then it was done

This!...there were better ways to do it then it was done

Not for Axl, he got what he wanted. He came up with name, and wishes to perform and release music as Guns N Roses. Good for him. I get it that a lot of people don't like that, but for many people (me included) the main draw of GN'R was always Axl's voice, lyrics and performance. Not that the other guys were insignificant, they most certainly were not, but a GN'R without Axl is without a doubt not GN'R. Whether it's not GN'R without Slash etc is debatable, but without Axl it's clear as day.

The way I see it is that Axl saw how the boat was sinking and he did everything to keep it floating. It was a smart move.

I think the band was already "touché" by the bad vibes and the break up would have happened anyways.

Edited by November_rain

The way I see it is that Axl saw how the boat was sinking and he did everything to keep it floating. It was a smart move.

I think the band was already "touché" by the bad vibes and the break up would have happened anyways.

thats the way i always saw it as well november. i dont know how much slash and duff actually cared as well

Yup, my opinion of why they signed the name is they just were too fucked up to understand the consequences, they probably didn't want the band to be in legal shit smack dab in the middle of their highly successful tour, didn't want to deal with Axl's tantrums, and probably didn't foresee it getting as bad as it got when it came to getting back in the studio.

Just my two cents, and I also gotta admit, smart move by Axl. Shitty move in my opinion, but smart.