Dj ASHBA Spills The Beans On Life On The Road, Axl Rose And Slash’s Recent Comments

Tyler Drama

Ashba is soon going to be a walking, talking commercial.

I like the guy, but if he starts up one more thing, or advertises another product of his, I'm gonna snap.

That said, decent interview. It's a shame we didn't get the usual "Gn'R album is the first priority" etc.

To be fair, the interviewer shaped the interview

They refuse to see that.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everybody is making money. Who cares.

Slash isn't going to show up and play your birthday party for free. But give him $100,000 and he might. Axl wouldn't be touring the world if he wasn't getting paid.

DJ plugs his stuff in interviews, who cares.

very true, and it happens on every tv interview or every radio interview be it sports, music, fashion etc they interview someone and always let them plug their product be it a new cd, clothes, a new movie, a new promotion of drink or food the person is doing etc

Dj is cool. Get over it. Sick of all the Dj bashing. If you don't like him, don't buy his clothes or listen to his music. Anytime someone says Dj on this site, the same morons hijack the thread. Every time. I wonder why people that don't like this band obsess over everything that they do and say that everything sucks. Kinda pointless to be here. I'm sure this post is just what they want. I remember when this site used to be about logical arguments and good discussions. Which is why I liked it here better than htgth. Now it just seems like every single thread turns into and "old" vs "new" thread. Gets pretty boring sometimes.

People seem to forget the overall point of an interview. To promote. I can't blame DJ for wanting to promote SIxx:Am. It's a successful band. They get more radio play than Chinese, at least. He is obviously very passionate about his clothing line, and just because his target audience might be the emo/ goth teenagers doesn't make him any less legit.

No one seems to have a problem when Ron brings up his other projects in every interview he does.

Edited by packersnroses

Dj is cool. Get over it. Sick of all the Dj bashing. If you don't like him, don't buy his clothes or listen to his music. Anytime someone says Dj on this site, the same morons hijack the thread. Every time. I wonder why people that don't like this band obsess over everything that they do and say that everything sucks. Kinda pointless to be here. I'm sure this post is just what they want. I remember when this site used to be about logical arguments and good discussions. Which is why I liked it here better than htgth. Now it just seems like every single thread turns into and "old" vs "new" thread. Gets pretty boring sometimes.

You have my attention.

Just because I realize that it's a farce to put DJ in front of way more talented musicians, means that I'm not a fan of the band?

I think that you're the one that should be questioned about being a fan. You're the one that is encouraging mediocrity. Axl should know that the talent that he has shouldn't be hidden by a Hot Topic reject.

You have my attention.

Just because I realize that it's a farce to put DJ in front of way more talented musicians, means that I'm not a fan of the band?

I think that you're the one that should be questioned about being a fan. You're the one that is encouraging mediocrity. Axl should know that the talent that he has shouldn't be hidden by a Hot Topic reject.

DJ is put "in front of" more talented musicians? What does that mean?

Unless he was dancing in front of BBF or Richard Fortus during their solos thus blocking them from view (ala Conor's hand blocking SLAA), I dont see how that statement makes sense. All the other guys get to show their talents and DJ gets to show his. Where's the problem?

You have my attention.

Unless he was dancing in front of BBF or Richard Fortus during their solos thus blocking them from view (ala Conor's hand blocking SLAA), I dont see how that statement makes sense. All the other guys get to show their talents and DJ gets to show his. Where's the problem?

What's the first thing that you see when a show opens? Yup, it's an emo assclown.

The.problem is that he shouldn't be screwing up any of the solos when he has 2 people right next to him that can actually handle them. Put him on rythm where he belongs and there wouldn't be a problem.

You have my attention.

What's the first thing that you see when a show opens? Yup, it's an emo assclown.

The.problem is that he shouldn't be screwing up any of the solos when he has 2 people right next to him that can actually handle them. Put him on rythm where he belongs and there wouldn't be a problem.

Huh? Robin Finck would have been playing the opening to CD if he was around. Since he opted to leave, DJ, as Finck's replacement naturally plays that part. How is that supposed to be some horrible thing?

The fact that you dont like his solos doesnt mean that he shouldn't play them. Bumblefoot and Richard Fortus get to play solos too. So does DJ.

Dj is talented guitarist unless getting into Motely and Guns doesn't require talent. If so I'm available to nail groupies or at least try while holding a guitar.

Dj just isn't Slash and isn't as big a guitar hero as Slash.

Edited by wasted

You have my attention.

Huh? Robin Finck would have been playing the opening to CD if he was around. Since he opted to leave, DJ, as Finck's replacement naturally plays that part. How is that supposed to be some horrible thing?

The fact that you dont like his solos doesnt mean that he shouldn't play them. Bumblefoot and Richard Fortus get to play solos too. So does DJ.

That's the main problem. Fortus & Bumblefoot >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> My Grandmother > Ashba.

Ashba is mediocre at best so he should be a full-time rhythm guitarist. The way he fucks up solos is unacceptable but hey, that's my opinion and I'm free to say whatever I want.

No question Bumble and Fortus are great players but Dj ain't too bad, he's more grounded and limited sure but that don't mean he's a poor player. He's not playing shitty breakdowns or whiny pop choruses and trying to fit in, if anything he looks as bizarre as Bucket did lol but he wears what he wants and it has no bearing on the music. So how he wants to look doesn't limit him to be a hot topic darling.

He plays the solos tastefully, his section is fun (Mi Amor/Ballad Of Death), his stage presence is great and really interacts with fans and appreciates the history of GNR. That being said, I find Sixx AM awfully generic, he's gotta bring more than safe radio rock to the table and i'm sure Axl didn't grab him to make such boring stuff. I don't care for his clothing line (but look how many terrible people have one...), his monster energy plugs whilst onstage do my head in and he could stop treating himself as an entity with all this ASHBALAND stuff, he's a guitarist not a religion.

You have my attention.

That's the main problem. Fortus & Bumblefoot >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> My Grandmother > Ashba.

Ashba is mediocre at best so he should be a full-time rhythm guitarist. The way he fucks up solos is unacceptable but hey, that's my opinion and I'm free to say whatever I want.

When your grandmother becomes a recording artist then perhaps this line of argument would have some relevance.

You can argue that BBF and Fortus are better than DJ but you cant take away his right to play solos when the other guys also play them. It doesnt matter what you may or may not find acceptable, the band gets to decide who plays what and they divide the parts among themselves.

speaking of solos, i think it's time dj let's robin do the TIL solo live. not just for a one off like recent better oneoff. but for multiple guns n roses live shows

So Robin will magically fly in on a broom for the TIL solo, then fly away again? That seems like a wonderfully workable plan. :)

It's not about the plugs for his stuff, it's just how shameless it comes off in writing. For all we know before he listed all of his products he could have winked and rolled his eyes implying he's only saying all of it because he has to, or was being charming and whatnot.

However from seeing other interviews with him, I bet he was straight faced and earnest.

speaking of solos, i think it's time dj let's robin do the TIL solo live. not just for a one off like recent better oneoff. but for multiple guns n roses live shows

So Robin will magically fly in on a broom for the TIL solo, then fly away again? That seems like a wonderfully workable plan. :)

it all depends on axl if robin doing his TIL solo live for the first time is more than a magical one off. hopefully axl let's robin do TIL live many times. dj has his own spin on robin's solo. but it is robin's solo. robin created it. and put in the work recording it. robin pulls off a perfect solo. an EPIC solo. not since the slash solos on the illusions have there been better solos in rock from a rock guitarist called robin finck on rock ballads like TIL

Edited by finck6

it all depends on axl if robin doing his TIL solo live for the first time is more than a magical one off. hopefully axl let's robin do TIL live many times. dj has his own spin on robin's solo. but it is robin's solo. robin created it. and put in the work recording it. robin pulls off a perfect solo. an EPIC solo. not since the slash solos on the illusions have there been better solos in rock from a rock guitarist called robin finck on rock ballads like TIL

You do know right that Finck left the band and therefore had to be replaced? If he was to travel around the world with them just for one solo, why wouldn't he just re-join the band and play all his other parts too?

You have my attention.

Of course he replaced Robin, I think that we all know that. The problem is that Fortus should have been bumped up to Robin replacement because any way that you look at it, he is far better than DJ.

No question Bumble and Fortus are great players but Dj ain't too bad, he's more grounded and limited sure but that don't mean he's a poor player. He's not playing shitty breakdowns or whiny pop choruses and trying to fit in, if anything he looks as bizarre as Bucket did lol but he wears what he wants and it has no bearing on the music. So how he wants to look doesn't limit him to be a hot topic darling.

He plays the solos tastefully, his section is fun (Mi Amor/Ballad Of Death), his stage presence is great and really interacts with fans and appreciates the history of GNR. That being said, I find Sixx AM awfully generic, he's gotta bring more than safe radio rock to the table and i'm sure Axl didn't grab him to make such boring stuff. I don't care for his clothing line (but look how many terrible people have one...), his monster energy plugs whilst onstage do my head in and he could stop treating himself as an entity with all this ASHBALAND stuff, he's a guitarist not a religion.

I have no idea why Axl chose Ashba. Producing skills maybe? I really can't figure it out. You would think that Axl would have a pretty large talent pool to choose from. From what I can tell, DJ wasn't a very good choice though. Maybe he can surprise me if anyone ever decides to record anything, but I have serious doubts about that ever happening; and even more serious doubts about DJ's capability to surprise me.

DJ has the looks. He has the sort of cool rock appearence that people like. The same sort of thing that Slash had. I'm not talking about guitar skill here, just looks and movement on stage. Ashba and Slash are very similar when it comes to this, in my opinion. And I think that is why DJ plays the solos and opens the show.

I'm sure Bumble, Richard and Ashba can play all the solos. I doubt it's about that (maybe with exception of the tapping shit that Bucket did).

I would rather have Fortus take over Ashba's spot. But then again, I like what Richard is doing in his current position.

Edited by Jeez

If GNR ever puts out another album I'm almost positive DJ would do way more press/PR stuff for it than Axl.

I can already hear him talking about how it buries Appetite, how it is the best work he has ever heard Axl put out, how there are 10 albums of material to be released.

This guy is a promotion whore/over exaggerater on a scale we have never seen.

yes but in a band like GNR is being a promo whore that bad of a thing as of now?? Honestly ive dug DJ since i saw him in 08 with Sixx Am, he bring some 'youth' and energy back into GNR, in a way still kind of puting them into the 'general public' he likes doing interviews, he knows whats popular ect..Can you tell me anyone else in GNR that knows that, on the level he does?That and he is a solid producer as well..