The Official Blu-Ray Thread

Zint

It hurts when people say they can't tell the difference, or even worse - don't care.

:(

In all fairness, most people (that aren't really that into it) would need to have at least a 42 inch high def. TV with close to 20/20 vision to immediately see the difference. Although people that are into it, can tell the difference with smaller screens and worse vision.

I could tell the difference right away when I would just rent Blu-Rays. :shrugs: To each their own....I'm happy with Blu-Ray/High Def...and can't wait for it to get even better. :D

It hurts when people say they can't tell the difference, or even worse - don't care.

:max::facepalm:

I think what he's getting at is that many films are meant to be visually stimulating and you can clearly see that when viewing them in high definition. So when people "don't care" they are essentially missing out on a large part of a lot of movies out there - the "artistic aspect" so to speak. :shrugs:

:max::facepalm:

I think what he's getting at is that many films are meant to be visually stimulating and you can clearly see that when viewing them in high definition. So when people "don't care" they are essentially missing out on a large part of a lot of movies out there - the "artistic aspect" so to speak. :shrugs:

No no, he knows what I meant.

I keep meaning to get The Town on blu-ray. Last one I got was Looper. I've only got 5 blu ray at the moment. It's an elite squad at this point. The Departed, American Gangster and Inception. Shit, that's only 4. Even more elite than I thought. Also, got Drive on blu ray. I'm not sure if The Town is really good enough to join the team.

Edited by wasted

What have you guys done to me!?!?.... :lol:

After reading about how good the PQ was on a lot of the Disney Pixar movies, I decided to buy a few for my son....although he already has most of them at his Mom's (in DVD format) , I figured why not get him some Blu-Rays for when he's at my place.

So I got him all 3 Madagascars, both Cars movies, Planes....and just ordered him the entire Ice Age series today..... :D ...

And of course, I decided to get a few for myself.....Independence Day, I, Robot, Jumpers and I Am Legend.

I've been looking at the entire Indiana Jones box set....read really good things about it.....probably order it tonight....

....The Star Wars box set looks really good too......ugh....someone tell me to slow down.... :lol:

After reading about how good the PQ was on a lot of the Disney Pixar movies, I decided to buy a few for my son....although he already has most of them at his Mom's (in DVD format) , I figured why not get him some Blu-Rays for when he's at my place.

So I got him all 3 Madagascars, both Cars movies, Planes....and just ordered him the entire Ice Age series today..... :D ...

And of course, I decided to get a few for myself.....Independence Day, I, Robot, Jumpers and I Am Legend.

I've been looking at the entire Indiana Jones box set....read really good things about it.....probably order it tonight....

....The Star Wars box set looks really good too......ugh....someone tell me to slow down.... :lol:

You have to learn to pace it, pricing is key. Most everything goes on sale, and some times dirt cheap.

Man you're going to blow a nut on Black Friday! :lol:

But yeah, if you wait things out, you'll find things like the Star Wars set for , like, $29 or so.

• Like 1

You have to learn to pace it, pricing is key. Most everything goes on sale, and some times dirt cheap.

But yeah, if you wait things out, you'll find things like the Star Wars set for , like, $29 or so.

:lol:

Yeah, I hear you. I do a lot of searching online before I buy any of them. I usually check the main sites like: Amazon, Ebay, Blu-Ray.com, Best Buy...and Google shopping. I always figure in my shipping costs as well. So far, I think I've done fairly decent....don't think I've overpaid for anything.... :shrugs:

I'm also starting to understand the differences between a great transfer, a good transfer, average, etc....and I'll try to stick to buying Blu-Rays with at least decently rated PQ/transfers

I went ahead and got the Indiana Jones: Complete Adventures box set.....Indiana%20Jones%20Collection.jpg....

.....I was price shopping it all week....the lowest I saw it go for was on Amazon....used but in "Like New" condition for about $33.00, including shipping. I decided to get it new for $4 more...ended up paying $37 for it, including shipping. I thought it was "ok" for a 4 film set plus extras.

When you found Star Wars for $29 was that for all 6 plus extras or just the first 3?...then the 2nd 3 are another $29 type deal? Because if it's the newest one released, the complete saga, with new scenes, etc....

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Complete-Episodes-Blu-ray/dp/B003ZSJ212

...then that's an amazing deal.....

I'm not sure if I can wait until Black Friday to get it though.... :P

Edited by Kasanova King

I don't know until when I'll have to wait to get a deal on Kick Ass 2 and Nebraska. Next week they're finally having Blue Jasmine for $15 at Target, along with Labor Day.

Nebraska is down to $15 on Amazon this week. Tempting, but might wait for a further decrease.

Couldn't wait. I already bought it.

Madagascar was made by DreamWorks and Ice Age by 20th Century Fox, other than that, good choices. :thumbsup:

As for Disney and Pixar, you should get Wall-E, Up and Brave. Incredible PQ.

I don't know until when I'll have to wait to get a deal on Kick Ass 2 and Nebraska. Next week they're finally having Blue Jasmine for $15 at Target, along with Labor Day.

Nebraska is down to $15 on Amazon this week. Tempting, but might wait for a further decrease.

Couldn't wait. I already bought it.

Madagascar was made by DreamWorks and Ice Age by 20th Century Fox, other than that, good choices. :thumbsup:

As for Disney and Pixar, you should get Wall-E, Up and Brave. Incredible PQ.

I wasn't sure if they were all Pixar movies......I knew the Cars series were....but from what I read, they have pretty good PQ as well....

I will definitely take a look at Wall-E, etc... as well....if my son gives me the thumbs up, I'll probably get them too... :thumbsup:

Yeah, I hear you. I do a lot of searching online before I buy any of them. I usually check the main sites like: Amazon, Ebay, Blu-Ray.com, Best Buy...and Google shopping. I always figure in my shipping costs as well. So far, I think I've done fairly decent....don't think I've overpaid for anything.... :shrugs:

I'm also starting to understand the differences between a great transfer, a good transfer, average, etc....and I'll try to stick to buying Blu-Rays with at least decently rated PQ/transfers

I went ahead and got the Indiana Jones: Complete Adventures box set.....Indiana%20Jones%20Collection.jpg....

.....I was price shopping it all week....the lowest I saw it go for was on Amazon....used but in "Like New" condition for about $33.00, including shipping. I decided to get it new for $4 more...ended up paying $37 for it, including shipping. I thought it was "ok" for a 4 film set plus extras.

When you found Star Wars for $29 was that for all 6 plus extras or just the first 3?...then the 2nd 3 are another $29 type deal? Because if it's the newest one released, the complete saga, with new scenes, etc....

Pretty good price for Indiana Jones. I've never seen the Star Wars Complete Saga for $29 - if you check the price history on blu-ray.com (The little graph icon by the price), the cheapest it's track the Complete Saga at is $59, and it's almost always hovered around that current $89 price. I think I paid about $70 around Christmas 2011.

• Like 1

Pretty good price for Indiana Jones. I've never seen the Star Wars Complete Saga for $29 - if you check the price history on blu-ray.com (The little graph icon by the price), the cheapest it's track the Complete Saga at is $59, and it's almost always hovered around that current $89 price. I think I paid about $70 around Christmas 2011.

I figured it was something like that. I just found a copy on Amazon in "very good" condition for $58.99 plus $4 shipping....I'm looking at a few other (new) copies on Ebay....if I can't get those for around $70, then I'll probably end up getting the pre-owned one from Amazon.

My nephews each bought the Complete Saga on blu-ray for @29.00 on boxing day. It was at Giant Tiger or something.

My sister bought a set as well.

The best prices aren't always online.

And that best price history on blu-ray.com is a tracking history for amazon.

Amazon doesn't always have the lowest price, online or otherwise.

• Like 1

Indiana Jones The Complete Adventures $19.99 at Fry's.

http://www.frys.com/product/7204303

I'm glad my order for Nebraska was still open. I'll get it at Fry's for $9.99.

I was going to cancel my order from Amazon....or send it back but when I tried to order it from Fry's, it said it was "unavailable" to ship and I had to call it in....probably sold out and need a rain check or something. I guess I'll just take the $15 loss and keep my order....don't feel like going through the hassle of waiting any longer for it.

Thanks for the info though.....good find....I'll have to bookmark Fry's....seems like they have a lot of good deals!

Edited by Kasanova King

Fuck me, I thought 27.99 was a good deal at Best Buy when I picked it up. And dude, Indy looks absolutely amazing on Blu. Temple of Doom looks pretty fake sometimes with green screen, but, it's Temple of Doom. Let's face it, you're buying for Raiders, Crusade, and bonus features.

Fuck me, I thought 27.99 was a good deal at Best Buy when I picked it up. And dude, Indy looks absolutely amazing on Blu. Temple of Doom looks pretty fake sometimes with green screen, but, it's Temple of Doom. Let's face it, you're buying for Raiders, Crusade, and bonus features.

Temple Of Doom is my favorite of the films :max:

But you're right - Indy has some of the best transfers I've seen I think. That set is really worth any price, getting it for dirt cheap is just the gravy.

But you're right - Indy has some of the best transfers I've seen I think. That set is really worth any price, getting it for dirt cheap is just the gravy.

Just got my shipment today and I'm watching Raiders of the Lost Ark as we speak....wow....just wow....these movies have never looked better.....so much clarity....the colors....everything looks amazing.....super pumped for these!

Just got my shipment today and I'm watching Raiders of the Lost Ark as we speak....wow....just wow....these movies have never looked better.....so much clarity....the colors....everything looks amazing.....super pumped for these!

Crusdae looks even better. Astonishing. Actually...Imma pop that in now.

• Like 1

Frankly, I think Raiders is the least impressing transfer of the set. AxlIsOld is right, Crusade looks absolutely stunning.