the psychiatrist in don't cry

HisRoyalSweetness

angelica, didn't you tell me something once about how axl actually believed he could recall what happened to him while he was in the womb?

I read this too, it would be remarkable if this is true. Nobody else has ever claimed this that I know of.

Where did he get that idea from, another "healer"?

If it's true (and I have no trouble believing it is), I would guess Yoda.

angelica, didn't you tell me something once about how axl actually believed he could recall what happened to him while he was in the womb?

Yeah, that night at the Short Stop! It's in the 92 Rolling Stone interview -

What's your earliest memory?

My earliest conscious memory was of a feeling that I'd been here before and that I had a toy gun in my hand. I knew it was a toy gun, and I didn't know how I knew. That was my first memory. But I've done regression therapy all the way back, just about to the point of conception. I kind of know what was going on then.

Can you talk about what you've learned?

Just that ... my mom's pregnancy wasn't a welcome thing. My mom got a lot of problems out of it, and I was aware of those problems. That would tend to make you real fucking insecure about how the world felt about your ass. My real father was a pretty fucked-up individual. I didn't care too much for him when I was born. I didn't like the way he treated my mother. I didn't like the way he treated me before I was born. So when I came out, I was just wishing the motherfucker was dead.

Talking about being conscious of things that happened before you were born might throw a few people.

I don't really care, because that's regression therapy, and if they've got a problem with it, they can go fuck themselves. It's major, and it's legit, and it all fits together in my life. Everything is stored in your mind. And part of you is aware from very early on and is storing information and reacting. Every time I realize I have a problem with something, and I can finally admit it to myself, then we go, "Okay, now what were the earliest stages?" and we start going back through it.

For all the shit I give him, this is where my heart really does break for him. He was looking for help that he clearly desperately needed and he just got taken.

• Like 2

right! i liked the point you made about how axl continually claimed the press was biased against him, but that same press showed muted reverence for utter bullshit like being able to remember things that happened to him before his brain was formed. can you imagine the tantrum he would have thrown if the reporter had the balls to tell axl his crazy beliefs were a medical impossibility, regardless of what his high-priced celebrity quack was willing to let him believe?

i agree that it's sad... it's sad that someone in such need was preyed upon. it's sad that those quacks and snake oil salesman were able to make a good living manipulating a mentally handicapped person. and saddest of all, it seemed to leave axl in such a state that he's pretty much incapable of making art... which was the whole reason i liked the guy in the first place. but it's endlessly fascinating. and a tragedy so epic shakespeare would be jealous.

Edited by HisRoyalSweetness
  • Like 1

right! i liked the point you made about how axl continually claimed the press was biased against him, but that same press showed muted reverence for utter bullshit like being able to remember things that happened to him before his brain was formed. can you imagine the tantrum he would have thrown if the reporter had the balls to tell axl his crazy beliefs were a medical impossibility, regardless of what his high-priced celebrity quack was willing to let him believe?

That interview is a car wreck. "I've done regression therapy all the way back, just about to the point of conception"..."Can you talk about what you've learned?" I understand that he's notoriously unstable and it was a big interview for the reporter, but FFS! You can't even express a little polite skepticism and follow it up in the face of a statement THAT crazy?

Edited by Angelica

i'm just amazed that axl never once thought to himself that any therapist who wanted to parade around in a miniskirt in his music videos was probably not a therapist worth listening to. she makes the metallica therapist seem like a paragon of professionalism. i wonder if he looks back on things any differently now... like, "man, i was willing to believe some seriously stupid shit back then!"

• Like 1

i'm just amazed that axl never once thought to himself that any therapist who wanted to parade around in a miniskirt in his music videos was probably not a therapist worth listening to. she makes the metallica therapist seem like a paragon of professionalism. i wonder if he looks back on things any differently now... like, "man, i was willing to believe some seriously stupid shit back then!"

Like he'd admit it! Whoever had her hold a cat on her lap is a straight up Freudian genius and wit of epic proportions, though.

If he ever pops up in the forums again, this should be brought up.

Is really something you need to know or inquire about? I mean, it's fine to be fascinated and at the very least interested in those who create art that your respond to, but I think it crosses the line of decency to inquire into someone's mental health history. If the guy wants to believe in quack science about repressed memories and past lives, that's really none of our business. Axl clearly has had some mental health battles he's had to deal with over his life, I'm not sure it's exactly appropriate to ask questions concerning them. I'd be uncomfortable asking family members these kinds of questions, let alone people I have little to no contact with.

Questions concerning songs, lyrics, musical direction, band chemistry, personal influences, general inquiries and performance concerns are legitimate in my opinion. Asking an artist about their mental health, previous ailments and illnesses, and deeply personal matters that have no direct relation to their musical output is off-limits in my books.

Cheers,

Andrew

Is really something you need to know or inquire about? I mean, it's fine to be fascinated and at the very least interested in those who create art that your respond to, but I think it crosses the line of decency to inquire into someone's mental health history. If the guy wants to believe in quack science about repressed memories and past lives, that's really none of our business. Axl clearly has had some mental health battles he's had to deal with over his life, I'm not sure it's exactly appropriate to ask questions concerning them. I'd be uncomfortable asking family members these kinds of questions, let alone people I have little to no contact with.

Questions concerning songs, lyrics, musical direction, band chemistry, personal influences, general inquiries and performance concerns are legitimate in my opinion. Asking an artist about their mental health, previous ailments and illnesses, and deeply personal matters that have no direct relation to their musical output is off-limits in my books.

Cheers,

Andrew

yeah, but that changes at the point when an artist chooses to make all that stuff exceedingly public -- as in casting his psychologist in music videos. not to mention his public rants. hard to try and pretend he wanted any of that stuff to be private.

Cheers,

Andrew

I think they might have been joking about asking him. :confused:

holy shit... axl was trusting his fragile psyche to a psychologist named "suzzy" who wanted to wear miniskirts in music videos? no wonder he only screwed himself up more. wonder why he was unwilling to work with a real doctor.

How do you know he never worked with a "real doctor"? Are you privy to his entire history of therapy and who he got it from?

holy shit... axl was trusting his fragile psyche to a psychologist named "suzzy" who wanted to wear miniskirts in music videos? no wonder he only screwed himself up more. wonder why he was unwilling to work with a real doctor.

How do you know he never worked with a "real doctor"? Are you privy to his entire history of therapy and who he got it from?

good point! but don't you also think that if any real professional doctors were allowed into the inner circle, they would have objected to magical crystals and fake doctors who want to act in music videos?

good point! but don't you also think that if any real professional doctors were allowed into the inner circle, they would have objected to magical crystals and fake doctors who want to act in music videos?

"Real professional doctors" dont seek entry into people's "inner circle", they just do their job which is to provide therapy. The client himself decides what he/she wants to do in the rest of his/her time and whether he/she wants to listen to all advice given.

"Real professional doctors" dont seek entry into people's "inner circle", they just do their job which is to provide therapy. The client himself decides what he/she wants to do in the rest of his/her time and whether he/she wants to listen to all advice given.

i totally agree. by using "inner circle" i was intending to mock the insulated world axl constructed to protect him from reality.

i totally agree. by using "inner circle" i was intending to mock the insulated world axl constructed to protect him from reality.

Actually, you seem to make broad claims about Axl's life as if you yourself have inside access.

He hangs out with the people he wants to hang out with while travelling the world and he seems to pay a good amount of attention to the perceptions of him in the media/among the fans. Those dont seem like the actions of one who wants to insulate himself.

Suzzy was a therapist because she called herself one and Axl started paying her as one. (A lot). Most of the crazy shit Axl was talking about was generated by Suzzy. It was Suzzy who brought in Yoda. (Things were even crazier with her, but nobody talked about it). And HRS was correct to use 'inner circle', although these people WERE the inner circle.

• Like 1

Suzzy was a therapist because she called herself one and Axl started paying her as one. (A lot). Most of the crazy shit Axl was talking about was generated by Suzzy. It was Suzzy who brought in Yoda. (Things were even crazier with her, but nobody talked about it). And HRS was correct to use 'inner circle', although these people WERE the inner circle.

Let me guess, she made it so far in with him by telling him exactly what he wanted to hear? <_< Hey, speaking of these silly videos, wtf happened to Josh Richman?