John 5 a better fit for GNR than Bumble

Frozen Inferno

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

wasn't johnny 5 the name of the robot on short circuit?

Are you thinking of Alfa 5 from power rangers?

Oh look, a totally random guitar player that would make the band better, yay.

Bumblefoot has been in GN'R since 2006, no reason to think that is changing.

Also, I prefer Bumble to John 5, easily (not that I have anything against the guy). Actually, outside of Axl, Bumble is my favorite member of the band. He's an incredibly talented guitar player, a great character and good to the fans.

This is true :thumbsup:

There is a reason why John 5 went to Ron's masterclass ( true story ) and not the other way around.

Enough said.

So John 5 can play cool rock AND has some of Bumble's extraordinary skills? That only makes him more suitable for GN'R.

I would take him over DJ. I'm hoping Ron is giving DJ free lessons though, the situation could improve from my perspective.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I have absolutely no idea who John 5 is. Judging from the silly name, I say fuck that. We don't need another freak into the band.

This is the kind of playing that you could have with Govan on board. And it sounds fkn beautiful. The jams would be outwordly, they'd jam from Vai and Lane to Hendrix and Page. From Kiss and Beatles to Dream Theater and Maiden.

That is perhaps the problem? They play so much different and diverse music that it is hard for fans to relate to them as having their own unique style with signature licks that goes through their music as a red, recognisable and beloved thread. It is well and good to be able to play literally anything, but when you are literally playing everything, it is hard to come across as having your own recognisable style. We may scorn of Slash's limited capabilities, but at least he managed to create an awareness around his style, he managed to perfect his music within his limited scope, and he managed to create memorable, everlasting music. If every solo you write is supposed to be technically impressing, or very distinct from the last one you made, or full of flashy gimmicks, it is really hard to sell yourself as a strong, identifiable rock and roll guitar player. It is not about cramming as many notes into the solos as possible, or using the most advanced signatures and picking styles, but playing within a box and making something memorable and enjoyable within that box which fans can relate to and accepts as being "Guns N' Roses". There is a reason why guys like Bumblefoot and Gowan has such a small following and why it mostly consist of music and guitar nerds who are blended by the pure brilliance of their skills: it is because what they do just isn't memorable to most people. People are less interested in techniques than in music. And that is why John 5 captivates so many with a simple cover of Axl's WTTJ lyrics, not because he is able to do it so well, because many guys could do that, and certainly Bumblefoot and Gowan, but because he chooses to do it. He chooses to play something that is cool rather than push the envelope to the point where it is lost on the majority of fans. It says a lot about his musical preferences.