John 5 a better fit for GNR than Bumble

Frozen Inferno

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't rocket science.

And thank god! Because if rocket scientists decided to replace their scientific, logical, objective approach to rocket design with speculation, guesswork and subjective opinions, as exemplified by your reasoning for why Bumble stopped using the foot guitar, then man would never have walked the moon.

Yes because a broken guitar can never be fixed or god forbid, reproduced, right? And yes, he needed a more classic sound/look. Out of the thousands of guitars available He started playing the Les Paul. So why do you guys think DJ started playing Les Pauls when he is on record stating he never liked them? Oh, and Robin Finck, and even Buckethead? ... all these artists magically turned to Les Pauls as their go to guitars whilst in GNR.

Let's face facts here. The powers that be want the lead guitarists in GNR playing Les Pauls. I'm sure with time served BBF found his balls and ventured away from the LPs. Because as we know with Bumble, he isn't satisfied just emulating whoever came before him. He wants to make his own mark in GNR which is why with the lack of anything but cash grab touring he is so frustrated. End of discussion.

Edited by Peter Shneck

Yes because a broken guitar can never be fixed or god forbid, reproduced, right? And yes, he needed a more classic sound/look. Out of the thousands of guitars available He started playing the Les Paul. So why do you guys think DJ started playing Les Pauls when he is on record stating he never liked them? Oh, and Robin Finck, and even Buckethead? ... all these artists magically turned to Les Pauls as their go to guitars whilst in GNR.

Let's face facts here. The powers that be want the lead guitarists in GNR playing Les Pauls. I'm sure with time served BBF found his balls and ventured away from the LPs. Because as we know with Bumble, he isn't satisfied just emulating whoever came before him. He wants to make his own mark in GNR which is why with the lack of anything but cash grab touring he is so frustrated. End of discussion.

Bucket: always played a Les Paul

Robin: always played more or less a Les Paul

Fortus: Don't know what he played before guns

DJ: poser

Ron: played and Gibson 06 and 07. now he only plays vigier guitars

don't know if you've seen this

ron-thal-660-80.jpg

Yes because a broken guitar can never be fixed or god forbid, reproduced, right?

It is fixed now, but by the time it was fixed he already had the double neck.

And yes, he needed a more classic sound/look.

Sound, yes. Look, no. He even said that he'd be "Ron Thal" for Guns because "Bumblefoot" wouldn't fit Guns, but the band told him to be "who he is" whenever it fits the band's legaly or not.

Out of the thousands of guitars available He started playing the Les Paul.

He had his Les Paul that he used eventually, and guess what... its sound is the most classical he had with him. Other than this one he had the swiss cheese guitar, the Bfoot signature (doesn't sound like classical guitars) and a few of his own old guitars and none sounded like classic rock guitars.

So why do you guys think DJ started playing Les Pauls when he is on record stating he never liked them? Oh, and Robin Finck, and even Buckethead? ... all these artists magically turned to Les Pauls as their go to guitars whilst in GNR.

I don't know about DJ, maybe one of his fans could tell us... but some of his guitars are NOT Les Pauls.

Anyway I found an interview that could help you out...

Let’s talk guitars. What are your go-to Gibson guitars for touring and recording?

Well, [guitar tech] Chris Whitemyer sets up all my Gibsons, and every one of them is just insane. Every one of them sound and play like a dream. What’s cool about all my guitars is that they all sound and feel super similar. If I close my eyes, I cannot tell you which guitar I’m playing. I have probably 17 Les Pauls… When I joined Guns N’ Roses, Chris – who is one of the most brilliant techs out there – sat down with me for months and months, and we went over guitars, and I was literally going into depth about what I love about Les Paul, and he helped me reconfigure the guitar to fit me.

What, to you, constitutes great guitar tone?

I think your ear. I think a great guitar tone is obviously a great sounding guitar, too, meaning a very well-built guitar with good wood, good harbor, good pickups. Seymour Duncans, I use in mine. Everything matters when it comes down to getting a good sound, from the tailpiece to the bridge to the nut on the guitar. There’s nobody out there that makes a better guitar than Gibson.

So, I think a Gibson running through a solid amp, and I use Fractal. There’s just something about the combination of a Gibson and Fractal that out of the many, many years I’ve played, it wins. I tried every guitar-amp combination out there, and I’ve had the most extravagant rigs built, and it all came down to in the end, literally, just a two-piece rack mount and a Les Paul, and plugged direct into it.

I think, also, a lot of the tone is in the fingers. It’s the way you hit the guitar. It’s the attitude you play, because one person could pick up my guitar rig and play, and it’s probably not going to sound like when I pick it up and play, and vice versa. A lot of the tone really does come from the player.

Because as we know with Bumble, he isn't satisfied just emulating whoever came before him. He wants to make his own mark in GNR which is why with the lack of anything but cash grab touring he is so frustrated. End of discussion.

But he's playing his own parts already, sir. He didn't mimick anyone when he recorded Chinese. Yes, I know he wants to write another album and be a part of the writing and not only the recording, but most of what he plays in Chi Dem (in a live show) is his own parts - apart from some of the solos, that is.

Yes because a broken guitar can never be fixed or god forbid, reproduced, right?

It is fixed now, but by the time it was fixed he already had the double neck.

And yes, he needed a more classic sound/look.

Sound, yes. Look, no. He even said that he'd be "Ron Thal" for Guns because "Bumblefoot" wouldn't fit Guns, but the band told him to be "who he is" whenever it fits the band's legaly or not.

Out of the thousands of guitars available He started playing the Les Paul.

He had his Les Paul that he used eventually, and guess what... its sound is the most classical he had with him. Other than this one he had the swiss cheese guitar, the Bfoot signature (doesn't sound like classical guitars) and a few of his own old guitars and none sounded like classic rock guitars.

So why do you guys think DJ started playing Les Pauls when he is on record stating he never liked them? Oh, and Robin Finck, and even Buckethead? ... all these artists magically turned to Les Pauls as their go to guitars whilst in GNR.

I don't know about DJ, maybe one of his fans could tell us... but some of his guitars are NOT Les Pauls.

Anyway I found an interview that could help you out...

Let’s talk guitars. What are your go-to Gibson guitars for touring and recording?

Well, [guitar tech] Chris Whitemyer sets up all my Gibsons, and every one of them is just insane. Every one of them sound and play like a dream. What’s cool about all my guitars is that they all sound and feel super similar. If I close my eyes, I cannot tell you which guitar I’m playing. I have probably 17 Les Pauls… When I joined Guns N’ Roses, Chris – who is one of the most brilliant techs out there – sat down with me for months and months, and we went over guitars, and I was literally going into depth about what I love about Les Paul, and he helped me reconfigure the guitar to fit me.

What, to you, constitutes great guitar tone?

I think your ear. I think a great guitar tone is obviously a great sounding guitar, too, meaning a very well-built guitar with good wood, good harbor, good pickups. Seymour Duncans, I use in mine. Everything matters when it comes down to getting a good sound, from the tailpiece to the bridge to the nut on the guitar. There’s nobody out there that makes a better guitar than Gibson.

So, I think a Gibson running through a solid amp, and I use Fractal. There’s just something about the combination of a Gibson and Fractal that out of the many, many years I’ve played, it wins. I tried every guitar-amp combination out there, and I’ve had the most extravagant rigs built, and it all came down to in the end, literally, just a two-piece rack mount and a Les Paul, and plugged direct into it.

I think, also, a lot of the tone is in the fingers. It’s the way you hit the guitar. It’s the attitude you play, because one person could pick up my guitar rig and play, and it’s probably not going to sound like when I pick it up and play, and vice versa. A lot of the tone really does come from the player.

Because as we know with Bumble, he isn't satisfied just emulating whoever came before him. He wants to make his own mark in GNR which is why with the lack of anything but cash grab touring he is so frustrated. End of discussion.

But he's playing his own parts already, sir. He didn't mimick anyone when he recorded Chinese. Yes, I know he wants to write another album and be a part of the writing and not only the recording, but most of what he plays in Chi Dem (in a live show) is his own parts - apart from some of the solos, that is.

So his foot guitar is fixed. Now that he has the green light to be himself, shouldn't he be using it?

I'm sure DJ Ashba loves Gibsons now that he is endorsed by them. It is on the record he never liked them, until he came into GNR, then had an urge to start using them...

So his foot guitar is fixed. Now that he has the green light to be himself, shouldn't he be using it?

I'm sure DJ Ashba loves Gibsons now that he is endorsed by them. It is on the record he never liked them, until he came into GNR, then had an urge to start using them...

What? He's not himself by playing Vigier fretless double necks and other guitars by the manufacturer that endorses him?

you don't get it do you.... he has ha new dubble neck guitar that he uses!

and do you really think that the bumblefoot guitar is serious? it's a fucking joke guitar that they made for fun.

Edited by Desperado

With a long resume of gigs from Guns N’ Rose to his own solo albums, we’d be here till next year going through Bumblefoot’s archive of guitars so instead he gave UG.com the 411 on his favorite guitar; the Vigier Double Neck.

"I think my absolute favorite is the one I take on tour, it’s a double neck and it’s got a fretted neck on the bottom, and a fretless neck on top. The company is Vigier, they’re a company out in France that’s been around for a little over thirty years and I’ve been playing their stuff for about thirteen years now and what’s cool about them is there’s no truss rod in the neck, instead they have a sheet of graphite and I’ve beaten the hell out of these things for a dozen years and there’s never been a problem. All the other guys playing there Les Paul’s on stage under the hot lights and suddenly the tuning changes or you get a dark spot. I’ve never needed to retune, it stays, and it’s just perfect, no matter how hard I abuse them. I beat the hell out of these and no matter what the conditions its just great. My tech is happy as hell! Another thing that’s cool about their guitars is they have a zero fret and it just feels better and tunes better. I pretty much play their stuff exclusively; they produced my series of guitars and the crazy flying foot guitar with the moving wings. I like them the best, they feel the best."

Effects/ Pedal Board

"I try to keep it as simple as possible because to me, everything just gets in the way. I fought to use a long guitar cable because I felt like the wireless changed the sound too much. I definitely like to keep it pure, so I don’t use a lot of effects or crazy shit besides the Dunlop WAH. Any other ambient stuff or any special needs I’ll use TC Electronics stuff. I have a Nova System and I just run that through the effects loop and that’s pretty much it."

You were right, sir. He wanted to use cable but the techs kept telling him that the stage was too big for him to use a cable, and there were too much people running around. So he used wireless. So he was "forced" to use wireless instead of cable. :lol:

Edited by Bruno Poeys

John 5 is on par with Bumble skill wise

No he isn't.

Based on what? He is just as good technically.

based on their skills. No he isn't.

Ron's picking is better, tapping, vibrato, versatility. If you think John is a better song writer fine I don't care he maybe is but he isn't on Rons level of playing.

Based on their skills? They can both do all of those things. How do you know if one guitarist is better at "picking" than another? Or more versatile? It sounds really subjective. Hence why I said they are both on the same level but I could not choose one over the other because I don't understand how one can sit there and say "oh this guy is way better at picking, or this guy is better at tapping so he must be on a higher level".

John 5 is on par with Bumble skill wise

No he isn't.

Based on what? He is just as good technically.

based on their skills. No he isn't.

Ron's picking is better, tapping, vibrato, versatility. If you think John is a better song writer fine I don't care he maybe is but he isn't on Rons level of playing.

Based on their skills? They can both do all of those things. How do you know if one guitarist is better at "picking" than another? Or more versatile? It sounds really subjective. Hence why I said they are both on the same level but I could not choose one over the other because I don't understand how one can sit there and say "oh this guy is way better at picking, or this guy is better at tapping so he must be on a higher level".

As far as Lowery vs Thal, you'd have to do the You Tube comparisons, taking short clips of solos.

What about this guy?! SamMoranGuitar is his name, busting out a new Live at the Forum Chinese Democracy Live Alternative Guitar Solo Cover Demo Test in Eb is his game! :thumbsup:

Edited by SMG