Regional, National and Cultural Identity!

Dazey

hmm but what if they dont get married to the natives? in India there are many parsi (Persians who had fled to escape persecution) families who only marry among themselves but they have been living in India for generations. According to you should they be considered Persians and not Indians? i

If they choose not to be apart of their new country, more than to live there, then yes, they would still be Persian or Iranian, whichever is more correct. They choose not to intermarry and blend in or to mix their cultures, so why shouldn't they be called something else? It's like in Sweden, up north, we have these guys that are kind of like our Indians (American Indians that is) called Sami people and they don't really have anything to do with Sweden other than that they live up there. They identify themselves as "Sami people" and they live up there by themselves. I see no reason for why they should be called Swedish.

Because they vote, represent their country in sporting events and have done their country proud over the years. why do you think it is necessary for them to mix their DNA with the local population in order to be considered a citizen? Do you see many immigrants there in Sweden?

Edited by Ketan

Can't really identify myself as anything... I was born in India but have lived roughly half my life in England. I've moved around a lot due to my parent's work so I've never stuck around any place long enough to identify myself as part of it's "culture". I suppose I do still retain some patriotic feelings towards India but meh... :shrugs:

Guest Len B'stard

Can't really identify myself as anything... I was born in India but have lived roughly half my life in England. I've moved around a lot due to my parent's work so I've never stuck around any place long enough to identify myself as part of it's "culture". I suppose I do still retain some patriotic feelings towards India but meh... :shrugs:

*stands up and salutes and sings*

Sareh Jahan seh ucha, hindustan humaraa :D

Again:

Ethnicity: Indian

Nationality: British

Sareh Jahan seh ucha, hindustan humaraa :D

:thumbsup::violin:

the true global citizen.

Again:

Shut it Dundee, the thread title doesn't say anything about either! ;)

Dutch, with a strong affinity with Groningen, the Dutch region/province I'm from. The dialect, people, etc.

I don't feel anything other than that and anything outside Groningen just isn't home.

I hate the generalization to "European". I don't feel European and never met anyone here who does.

To be piled together with the French AND the Germans.... *shrugs*

Well off course, but it isn't hard to see that you have more in common with the flemish (well, we eat better :P ) or the germans than with some african?

I do agree with you that this idea that Europeans are all the same is dumb. The nice thing about Europe is the diversity of highly cultured countries. Throwing them all together in a super-Europe and acting like there ar eno differences is just... naive.

I still prefer "Boerenkool met worst" over ""Waterzooi". But overall, yes you guys know your way around the kitchen. Also, I love Gent and Brugge. Aside from having weird accents and some strange views on fries and potato's the Flemish are actually ok. ;)

Sareh Jahan seh ucha, Hindustan humaraa :D

Lol, yeah. They really did manage to drill that into my brain. :D

Again:

Actualy....

Nationality: Also Indian :xmassrudolph:

Edited by KiraMPD

ok i can see what you mean... but woudnt people born in America to parents from a different country be called by both nationalities? like italian-american etc? in this terminology you accept both, someone’s nationality as well as his origin and that is a totally different thing then saying that no matter where you were born and brought up if your parents were outsiders so are you.

Doesn't a lot of Americans actually do that? They call themselves African-American, Italian-American, Irish-American, etc., etc..

Only if you're any color other than white. And usually it's just a white person referring to someone of any color who is too politically correct to say black. Then again we don't call people brown, or yellow, we'll call them Indian, or Hispanic, or Asian.

Long story short, Americans have all lost their minds. An American could be in Niger and comment on how many African-Americans there were. :facepalm:

After reading this thread, I am kind of nothing. :shrugs:

But I feel Dutch and are very attached to Amsterdam and surroundings. But my family comes from all over Europe and the old colonies (yes, I know it's not pretty). For generations one side of my family were colonials in Indonesia, and have a France, Belgium, Switzerland, Tsjechie, background. I have nothing with that background. I am born here, raised here, so I am Dutch. My mother's family is mostly Dutch as well. And because my country belongs to Europe, also European. But not feeling that, only when US/ European discussions are taking place on this forum. ;) I really don't get the whole naming of your background thing as well.

Edited by MBRose

You can actually do that? That's impressive man. I've tried to do that sort of thing with capitulation treaties to the British by the Portuguese and Dutch settlers in Sri Lanka as well as Dutch Stemboeks in Sri Lanka and you just can't find that stuff online.

English. Failing that, British. Definitely NOT European. Fuck Europe!

Shut up.

I think nations are an archaic and obsolete structure and it's a shame people are still so hung up on the notion (and will be for quite some time). I am a citizen of the internet!

Hippie :monkey:

I am Canadian with heavy Dutch influence as both parents came over from Holland and their lineage is Dutch for many generations.

I grew up in Florida, so there is a hint of the south in me. But I do think I'm pretty much Canadian.

You can actually do that? That's impressive man. I've tried to do that sort of thing with capitulation treaties to the British by the Portuguese and Dutch settlers in Sri Lanka as well as Dutch Stemboeks in Sri Lanka and you just can't find that stuff online.

I can trace mine back to the 12th century to one of the knights at the court of King Henry II.

Great Uncle Willy! :)

Also this is my family's ancestral home on my old man's side.

5301392630_df8fd39ecb.jpgGB061.jpg

Edited by Dazey

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I don't know anything about my background more than two generations back. I could have all kind of shitty blood in me for all I know. I'm pretty sure I'm pure Scandinavian though.

I don't know anything about my background more than two generations back. I could have all kind of shitty blood in me for all I know. I'm pretty sure I'm pure Scandinavian though.

My last name is of Moorish origin. It means "lord" in arabic. :book:

My last name is of Moorish origin. It means "lord" in arabic. :book:

Is it hyphenated with the first part being arabic for "gay"? :P