I listened to the demo vers. of Catcher today..

ColdHeartBreaker

Still blows me away. Every time. I think it's one of if not the best of Axl's work, new or old, the song itself is a beaut. He had a real gem right there..

Axl Rose:

For me the song is inspired by what's referred to sometimes as Holden Caulfield syndrome. I feel there's a possibility that how the writing is structured with the thinking of the main character could somehow reprogram for lack of a better word some who may be a bit more vulnerable, with a skewed way of thinking and tried to allow myself to go what may be there or somewhat close during the verses. I'd think for most those lines are enjoyed as just venting, blowing off steam, humor or some type of entertainment where it may be how others seriously live in their minds.

The bridge b4 the solo is an artistic interpretation of a institutionalized mind. The outro is a tribute to Lennon and an indictment of the author for writing what i feel is utter garbage and I agree whole heartedly that it should be discontinued as required reading in schools. That's my take, I could be completely wrong, I do realize that the song and title could have the next poor soul reading the book and feeling inspired to make an unfortunate statement. So there's the catch I guess.

When I came up with the focus, I got a call from the director of Imagine wanting a bunch of money to make a documentary, had a guy sending me strange packages about Lennon and serial killers etc and the web started calling me Salinger w/no one knowing what I was writing. I figured I was on the right track at least for a song.

Fan:"How a body took a body and gave that boy a gun". Sorry for my english, but if you could explain to me what this means, I would be gratefull...

Axl:It's a line from the book used to infer it may have helped to inspire a senseless killing.

The Holden-like lyrical flurry towards the end, the fun little pitman synth near the start.. :heart:

That demo was just about the greatest thing ever put to tape. It still holds a special place in my heart. I remember when that first leaked, and I just could not believe how great it was. It blew my mind. When I heard it, that song alone made all the wait worth it. Brian's solo was immaculately amazing, Axl's lyrics, and Pittman's synth stuff just owning everything. It was such a classic, timeless piece of music. I still LOVE the final version, it's probably my favorite song (overall) on the album, but it was the most obvious of over-tinkering. But it's still a great song, and so sickeningly underrated...

It may not be my favourite song on the album but it's definitely my favourite lyrical theme. I totally understand why in Axl's brief visit here he wanted to discuss it. It seems a lot deeper than say Scraped or even This I Love. I know the emotions to This I Love are deep I just mean the lyrical concept is deeper in Catcher.

Really like the song and I love Rons solos on it. Too bad that the production made it sound a bit too messy.

Edit: the studio version I mean. Like the demo too but I like the studio version more

Edited by Desperado

Guest Gunns

I like the solo more in the demo

I like how the demo version, pitmans part is more clear

I like the outro piano more in the album version

Overall, demo for me.

I love both versions.

Though I respect May.......I found his solo quite boring.

I like Catcher as much as I enjoy the other GnR songs that take you on a journey because of their length,. November Rain, Estranged, Coma. I put Catcher right beside those songs. And ahead of the others - breakdown, locomotive. Twat. Heaven's Door.

I love both versions.

Though I respect May.......I found his solo quite boring.

I like Catcher as much as I enjoy the other GnR songs that take you on a journey because of their length,. November Rain, Estranged, Coma. I put Catcher right beside those songs. And ahead of the others - breakdown, locomotive. Twat. Heaven's Door.

i agree about the solo, i love brian may but his solo was :sleeper:

i love may's solo on when death calls by black sabbath

great song, one of my favourites on the record.

i did take some issue with axl's explanation of it, though. he goes from saying the book could influence unbalanced people, basically, to calling it 'utter garbage' and 'indicting' one of the most revered and legendary writers of all time. salinger was definitely cuckoo for cocoa puffs but i think compared to some of the lyrics axl has written (or the fact that, like, he recorded himself having sex with the drummer's girlfriend on a song, dressed in charles manson shirts, etc.) you could call the book Catcher in the Rye quite conservative.

maybe that's just my inner writer speaking. i even think the book is a bit overrated, but i was very surprised that axl of all people would be condemning the book. he strikes me as the sort of guy who would be a big fan of it, tbh. not having a go at him or anything - just genuinely surprised he took issue with it or wasn't able to appreciate the freedom it represents for writers. as crazy as it sounds, it's reasonable that a lot of songs like the ones even he himself wrote wouldn't have been possible without literature like 'catcher in the rye,' which were taboo and highly controversial for their time - and opened those doors for others...

i even think the book is a bit overrated

I agree with your entire post except this part. It's one of my favorite books. :P

But yeah, I actually find Holden and Axl really similar, so I was confused by his explanation. I disagree with his sentiment that it's "utter garbage," and even if it was, I don't get why it would have to be banned as required reading.

If anything, though, the split in the fanbase regarding Catcher is a perfect example of why a CD box set is needed some day.

Getting high quality, mixed versions of the 1999, 2002 and 2006 albums in addition to the released version would be something greatly appreciated by the diehard fanbase.

Many of the big fans would love to have that Brian May Catcher in high quality, many would love to hear the 1999 version of IRS in HQ and mixed, etc.

The demo is about 1/3 of a semitone flat. It sounds like someone recorded it with a hand-held tape recorder from the early 80's. But, it does have its charms. With the different guitar and drums, it is a nice change of pace, especially when the speed, pitch and skips are corrected.

If anything, though, the split in the fanbase regarding Catcher is a perfect example of why a CD box set is needed some day.

Getting high quality, mixed versions of the 1999, 2002 and 2006 albums in addition to the released version would be something greatly appreciated by the diehard fanbase.

Many of the big fans would love to have that Brian May Catcher in high quality, many would love to hear the 1999 version of IRS in HQ and mixed, etc.

i would love a boxset just so we can see axls whole vision plus get to hear how much the songs changed over the years