I listened to the demo vers. of Catcher today..

ColdHeartBreaker

If anything, though, the split in the fanbase regarding Catcher is a perfect example of why a CD box set is needed some day.

Getting high quality, mixed versions of the 1999, 2002 and 2006 albums in addition to the released version would be something greatly appreciated by the diehard fanbase.

Many of the big fans would love to have that Brian May Catcher in high quality, many would love to hear the 1999 version of IRS in HQ and mixed, etc.

we're not getting the brian may catcher version in high quality

I love both versions.

Though I respect May.......I found his solo quite boring.

I like Catcher as much as I enjoy the other GnR songs that take you on a journey because of their length,. November Rain, Estranged, Coma. I put Catcher right beside those songs. And ahead of the others - breakdown, locomotive. Twat. Heaven's Door.

More than Locomotive?!?!?!

Is this ese loco??

great song, one of my favourites on the record.

i did take some issue with axl's explanation of it, though. he goes from saying the book could influence unbalanced people, basically, to calling it 'utter garbage' and 'indicting' one of the most revered and legendary writers of all time. salinger was definitely cuckoo for cocoa puffs but i think compared to some of the lyrics axl has written (or the fact that, like, he recorded himself having sex with the drummer's girlfriend on a song, dressed in charles manson shirts, etc.) you could call the book Catcher in the Rye quite conservative.

maybe that's just my inner writer speaking. i even think the book is a bit overrated, but i was very surprised that axl of all people would be condemning the book. he strikes me as the sort of guy who would be a big fan of it, tbh. not having a go at him or anything - just genuinely surprised he took issue with it or wasn't able to appreciate the freedom it represents for writers. as crazy as it sounds, it's reasonable that a lot of songs like the ones even he himself wrote wouldn't have been possible without literature like 'catcher in the rye,' which were taboo and highly controversial for their time - and opened those doors for others...

This. I was quite surprised, he was a hair away from joining the ban the book ilk.

• 1 year later...

It seems pretty stupid to make a song about a book you don't like, but name it after that song. Does anyone here honestly believe they would have gotten his message about the song if he didn't specifically state it? That has always bugged me, what with the guy who used to be revered as this rebel is now (or at least in 2008) arguing for the banning of books.

The Catcher demo is the most GNR sounding thing I've heard from New GNR. It sounds like a band effort which isn't something you hear often on CD.

Sounds like a band effort? Pretty weird considering that the so called Brian May solo is just cut n' pasted together by Axl from different takes that Brian May played.

• Like 1

The Catcher demo is the most GNR sounding thing I've heard from New GNR. It sounds like a band effort which isn't something you hear often on CD.

Sounds like a band effort? Pretty weird considering that the so called Brian May solo is just cut n' pasted together by Axl from different takes that Brian May played.

every solo on ChD was cut and pasted by Axl and Carim. Bumblefoot said he relearned his own solos (Catcher, Shackler's,...) because of that.

Indeed.

It seems pretty stupid to make a song about a book you don't like, but name it after that song. Does anyone here honestly believe they would have gotten his message about the song if he didn't specifically state it? That has always bugged me, what with the guy who used to be revered as this rebel is now (or at least in 2008) arguing for the banning of books.

Is that the message of the song? I never caught that...

I actually prefer the album version, and Bumblefoot's leads to Brian May's :shrugs:

Its not just Brains absence that hurts it. The original still had melody and piano/guitar that would follow the vocals. The new one is hollow and an absolute mess. You can barely hear the lyrics at the end, and thats the strength of the song.