The concept of Jesus

Well yeah, because it's only held true until you disprove it. How negative :P

What people don't seem to comprehend is that scientists are a selfish bunch of bastards and they're not all conspiring to pull the wool over people's eyes. If any scientist discovered a fatal flaw in evolution or the big bang theory you'd better believe they'd waste no time in telling every fucker! To all the god botherers out there do you really think ANY scientist would forego a Nobel Prize and recognition as the guy who discovered the genuine origin of man just to piss off religious people? :lol: Scientists whole modus operandi IS to prove things wrong, that's what they do every day and nothing's sacred. In fact, if the current experiments going on at CERN somehow proved the existence of god then far from trying to keep it quiet they would be shouting it from the rooftops cos it would be the most important SCIENTIFIC discovery in the history of mankind!

Edited by Dazey

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What people don't seem to comprehend is that scientists are a selfish bunch of bastards and they're not all conspiring to pull the wool over people's eyes. If any scientist discovered a fatal flaw in evolution or the big bang theory you'd better believe they'd waste no time in telling every fucker! To all the god botherers out there do you really think ANY scientist would forego a Nobel Prize and recognition as the guy who discovered the genuine origin of man just to piss off religious people? :lol: Scientists whole modus operandi IS to prove things wrong, that's what they do every day and nothing's sacred.

The why don't we know about aliens and time machines.

tin-foil-hat.jpg

What people don't seem to comprehend is that scientists are a selfish bunch of bastards and they're not all conspiring to pull the wool over people's eyes. If any scientist discovered a fatal flaw in evolution or the big bang theory you'd better believe they'd waste no time in telling every fucker! To all the god botherers out there do you really think ANY scientist would forego a Nobel Prize and recognition as the guy who discovered the genuine origin of man just to piss off religious people? :lol: Scientists whole modus operandi IS to prove things wrong, that's what they do every day and nothing's sacred. In fact, if the current experiments going on at CERN somehow proved the existence of god then far from trying to keep it quiet they would be shouting it from the rooftops cos it would be the most important SCIENTIFIC discovery in the history of mankind!

Oh aye, I realise that - was just a general comment about theory like. Perhaps the best way to be - only right until proven wrong!

Oh aye, I realise that - was just a general comment about theory like. Perhaps the best way to be - only right until proven wrong!

Haha, please don't think I was referring to you there Sandy. You're certainly not the first person that springs to mind when I think of an uninformed ignoramus.

Haha, please don't think I was referring to you there Sandy. You're certainly not the first person that springs to mind when I think of an uninformed ignoramus.

Thankfully - nice to be able to have an intellectual discussion :lol:

Evolution single handedly destroys Judaism, Christianity, and Islam by proving Genesis wrong... but that's another topic. I want to know specifically the Genesis/Jesus story. How is any of it logical?

Got to believe in something.

I was once told "what if" Christianity is right, Hell seems like a real bad place to end up just because you werent willing to have faith.

Faith is not a bad thing, doesnt cost you anything or hurt anyone.

I like to call it the love train.

jmo

I have been told the same by some religious family members and my response is always the same.

If indeed a God exists that is as 'good' as people say i do not think people like me who seriously question the notion of divine beings would go to a 'bad place'. Any divine being would understand humans will logically question any divine beings and no divine being who is so 'good' would punish someone for not believeing blindly if we were made this way. I am not religious but do no wrong to anyone (apart from very minor stuff) so no divine being would ever punish people like me.

Me: Jesus is real.

As is mine

trying to argue with someone who doesnt believe in God is pointless.

I have found it's mainly due to their fear of the fact there might be.

most are the type, certainly what Ive seen here anyway, that choose to spend their entire lives arguing almost everything someone says to them,

its the 'look at me look at me, somebody please pay attention to me' pitiful lives they lead. No one wants to be around that.

I find it ironic that someone who would argue a "science" of probability dating back billions of years would have such a hard time with documented writings from just over 2000 years ago

So leave it at....

when judgement day arrives, we will have our faith to present, they will have their science and wise cracks about perverted isolated instances of human flaw as their excuse they dont believe.

if they are right, so be it, I dont think the fact that we believed in Jesus will piss nothingness off.

And if we're right, everything I've read says I wouldnt want to be them. Hell sounds real hot.

Guest Len B'stard

Me: Jesus is real.

As is mine

trying to argue with someone who doesnt believe in God is pointless.

I have found it's mainly due to their fear of the fact there might be.

most are the type, certainly what Ive seen here anyway, that choose to spend their entire lives arguing almost everything someone says to them,

its the 'look at me look at me, somebody please pay attention to me' pitiful lives they lead. No one wants to be around that.

I find it ironic that someone who would argue a "science" of probability dating back billions of years would have such a hard time with documented writings from just over 2000 years ago

So leave it at....

when judgement day arrives, we will have our faith to present, they will have their science and wise cracks about perverted isolated instances of human flaw as their excuse they dont believe.

if they are right, so be it, I dont think the fact that we believed in Jesus will piss nothingness off.

And if we're right, everything I've read says I wouldnt want to be them. Hell sounds real hot.

If you really had faith, "if they are right" would not be an issue. The very fact that you say that sort of negates the notion of you being a person of faith, what you've expressed in various posts sounds more like hedging your bets, don't sound like something God'd look kindly upon.

If you really had faith, "if they are right" would not be an issue. The very fact that you say that sort of negates the notion of you being a person of faith, what you've expressed in various posts sounds more like hedging your bets, don't sound like something God'd look kindly upon.

hardly kid,

more like end of argument

my faith is rooted deeper than it has ever been

you spend your entire life believing as hard as I do..

cupcakes come along that have learned how to google dont mean shit to me

Edited by shades

Guest Len B'stard

hardly kid,

more like end of argument

I wasn't trying to be rude, it was a serious question, how can that be faith, thats not how it works, you either have faith or you don't. If there is an omniscient God do you not think he can hear you going "well if they're right i won't know any better and if they're wrong then i'm going to heaven", there would not be an "if they're right", thats not really how faith works, what it appears that you are doing is trying to outsmart God. I really hope you don't think this is some sort of insult cuz it's not, i'm asking a serious question here.

Also, can i ask, why Jesus, why Christianity? Don't get me wrong, why the fuck not but i mean, why that particular faith...is it the result of soul searching or did you just feel it was right or were you born into it or...? I'm not tryna have a fuckin' barney with you, it's a serious question.

Edited by sugaraylen

I wasn't trying to be rude, it was a serious question, how can that be faith, thats not how it works, you either have faith or you don't. If there is an omniscient God do you not think he can hear you going "well if they're right i won't know any better and if they're wrong then i'm going to heaven", there would not be an "if they're right", thats not really how faith works, what it appears that you are doing is trying to outsmart God.

no rudeness detected, I know you better.

you ever read the bible?

theres no tricks and games

he knows what I'm doing, your perception of me or me sounding like I'm saying what I'm not means nothing to him.

Faith is what it is. all in or all out.

the bible even goes as far as to say, believe if for no other reason than what if.

God says "fear me", "you better fear me"

he's not playing

I see your edit, I'll gladly adress that

Why Christianity? great question

Ive been around long enough to have asked myself all kinds of questions about my faith.

I was born into my faith, all around me were hard core Catholics.

I reached a time when I stepped back and wondered what if I was born in say India, or Jeruselum, or wherever.

Are all those people wrong. I win?

hardly makes sense to me. I guess maybe were all right. maybe all wrong. I cant argue to the end that I'm right,

would make me look like an idiot.

But I find a lot of comfort in believing in the Bible. I fuck up all the time but my faith is always there.

I find an inner peace in troubled times, when someone passes, in sickness, just lifes trials I guess.

And I fully understand non believers, the story of Jesus sounds crazy.

But its my story and I'm going to hold onto it.

whatever works for you man

Edited by shades

Guest Len B'stard

I wasn't trying to be rude, it was a serious question, how can that be faith, thats not how it works, you either have faith or you don't. If there is an omniscient God do you not think he can hear you going "well if they're right i won't know any better and if they're wrong then i'm going to heaven", there would not be an "if they're right", thats not really how faith works, what it appears that you are doing is trying to outsmart God.

no rudeness detected, I know you better.

you ever read the bible?

theres no tricks and games

he knows what I'm doing, your perception of me or me sounding like I'm saying what I'm not means nothing to him.

Faith is what it is. all in or all out.

the bible even goes as far as to say, believe if for no other reason than what if.God says "fear me", "you better fear me"

he's not playing

Serious?!?! Thats confusing...i suppose it shows a sort of humble prudence huh? From a divine perspective at least, whats better, hellbound on the basis of doubt or heaven bound on the basis of what if? I suppose its more consistent with the notion of a loving God too cuz hey, he'd rather you saved, right? And yeah, i've read The Bible, i'd be lying if i said i thought i understood it 100% though. Or even 75%.

I see your edit, I'll gladly adress that

Why Christianity? great question

Ive been around long enough to have asked myself all kinds of questions about my faith.

I was born into my faith, all around me was hard core Catholics.

I reached a time when I stepped back and wondered what if I was born in say India, or Jeruselum, or wherever.

Are all those people wrong. I win?

hardly makes sense to me. I guess maybe were all right. maybe all wrong. I cant argue to the end that I'm right,

would make me look like an idiot.

But I find a lot of comfort in believing in the Bible. I fuck up all the time but my faith is always there.

I find an inner peace in troubled times, when someone passes, in sickness, just lifes trials I guess.

And I fully understand non believers, the story of Jesus sounds crazy.

But its my story and I'm going to hold onto it.

Cool man, may the road rise. For me personally, that wouldn't be enough but i think i see what you're trying to say and i can respect that. In fact i might even go so far as to say i envy it but in the end of the day, like you say, it's about whatever works for you and that could never work for me. I can't turn off the governing function of my mind and that function is logic. Thats not true actually cuz i'm hopelessly romantic about lots of things...hmmm, i dunno man, it's a curious thing. It's nice to see someone settled about all this stuff though, wonderful even ;)

Edited by sugaraylen

So leave it at....

This is more or less Pascals Wager. (belief is infinite gain vs finite loss, whereas disbelief is infinite loss vs finite gain) It's probability, not faith.

The problem with it is that when you factor in the vast number of inconsistent religions the probability of believing in the wrong god eliminates the mathematical advantage of the wager. It's also absurd to think God would consider such a strategy authentic belief.

Edited by Nobodys_Fault

I don't think there's much comfort to be found in the bible... the jist is that you are brought into this world already behind the eightball, you have to pay for the sins of someone else. The only way to atone for those sins is to give your life to something you don't possibly know could exist. If you don't, you will be sent to a place of burning and torture until the end of time. Now there is forgiveness and whatnot, but the terms of which you can receive this forgiveness isn't ever clearly defined (actually, it's defined so many times and different ways there's no way to tell which was is up, moral vertigo if you will).

You are being watched every second of every day, with God looking for a misstep. You're not safe in your own mind, even *thinking* about certain things is a crime against "his will" (thou shall not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.).

I don't see the comfort.

So leave it at....

This is more or less Pascals Wager. (belief is infinite gain vs finite loss, whereas disbelief is infinite loss vs finite gain) It's probability, not faith.

The problem with it is that when you factor in the vast number of inconsistent religions the probability of believing in the wrong god eliminates the mathematical advantage of the wager. It's also absurd to think God would consider such a strategy authentic belief.

Yeah that's exactly what it is! 'ere Shades, give us all another astronomy lesson while you're at it cos that was the funniest fucking thing I've read all year! :lol:

Problem with Pascal's wager is that any god with a bit about him would know you're full of it and you'd be for the high jump anyway. :shrugs:

By google you mean read books? :rolleyes:

Edited by Dazey

And is that really so unusual? The science advocacy that most often accompanies this kind of militant atheism is delivered with a distinctly religious zeal, to call a spade a spade. We don't know everything. Not me, not you, not the science community, not the Pope. To condemn the beliefs of either side is unnecessary.

The problem is that one side has evidence for what it believes and one doesn't but the side without the evidence is the one that seems to want to evangelise. :rolleyes:

No, you are wrong. Look at this forum. Do you see any threads recommending Jesus as your personal savior? Atheists are some of the most vehement evangelists out there.

Seconded! Also, just look at the backlash from people such as Dazed when any Christians on here dare to even suggest they might need that saviour, or anything of the sort.

Two guys killing themselves slowly with drugs and alcohol. Two guys who are so cynical, they literally either drink their own piss out of a cup, or sit in a room which reeks of sweat and cum and used towels because their daily lives and a mixture of intense nihilism and just a general a belief that they, the world, and the universe are all meaningless and pointless, have made them this way. Two guys who lack any morals and are proud of that. Perfect examples of the power of Militant Atheism.

Edited by Indigo Miser

Two guys killing themselves slowly with drugs and alcohol. Two guys who are so cynical, they literally either drink their own piss out of a cup, or sit in a room which reeks of sweat and cum and used towels because their daily lives and a mixture of intense nihilism and just a general a belief that they, the world, and the universe are all meaningless and pointless, have made them this way. Two guys who lack any morals and are proud of that. Perfect examples of the power of Militant Atheism.

That's sounds fun sign me up.