The James Bond Thread: RIP Robbie Coltrane

James Bond

What the hell made Moore do A View to a Kill?

Why was the script worse? Paul Haggis co-wrote it after all. Marc Forster wanted to make the film shorter and add lots of fast cut action scenes

Gun hidden under dress. In a thigh holster.

I think as a favour to Cubby more than anything. They had a kind of loyalty to each other since their friendship went way back.

Forster was unhappy with the original script. All that remains from it, according to Craig, is everything up until Mr. White's interrogation and escape. In other words, not a whole lot. A final shooting draft of the new script was not submitted before the writer's strike and therefore lacked the polish it needed. Craig and Forster tried to tighten it up but could only go so far. That, and I don't think Forster's direction really works for Bond.

I concur now. Good reference!

Speaking of QoS, I'm watching The Spy Who Loved Me right now...and there are quite a few similarities between the two. In fact, I think TSWLM is what QoS should've been, had they got it right.

Other than the fact that Jaws >>>>>>>Dominic Greene

Edited by Crazyman

I liked it, but I was disappointed that it wasn't a bit more politically incorrect and sexist. A female M and a black Moneypenny is a bit too politically correct for a James Bond movie. The villain was really cool though.

If it makes you feel any better

M is an incompetant retard who dies and Moneypenny got secratary because she is a shit field agent who can't fucking hit a moving target. What a hooray for tolerance!

What the hell made Moore do A View to a Kill?

Why was the script worse? Paul Haggis co-wrote it after all. Marc Forster wanted to make the film shorter and add lots of fast cut action scenes

Gun hidden under dress. In a thigh holster.

I think as a favour to Cubby more than anything. They had a kind of loyalty to each other since their friendship went way back.

Forster was unhappy with the original script. All that remains from it, according to Craig, is everything up until Mr. White's interrogation and escape. In other words, not a whole lot. A final shooting draft of the new script was not submitted before the writer's strike and therefore lacked the polish it needed. Craig and Forster tried to tighten it up but could only go so far. That, and I don't think Forster's direction really works for Bond.

I concur now. Good reference!

I felt QoS had less to do with the actual story and more to do with Bond's character.

Cubby has made some strange decisions for the series. He seemed to have loved the camp Roger Moore added to the role, Ian Flemming would have hated him.

Supremacy by Muse should have been Skyfall's song.

It's the 50th anniversery, of course they were going to choose a female vocalist who can belt one out...

Adele had that classic Shirley Bassey feel.

Can we talk about the cinematography? I've been a long time fan of Roger Deakins and he deserves an Oscar for Skyfall along with just about every film he's done but this one had some incredible shots.

Those shots of Shanghai and the whole fight with Patrice and all that blue lightning was mind-blowing. All of the scenery shots were brilliant as well. I loved the long shot of Bond and M standing in Scotland. Deakins definitely deserves an Oscar.

Also, I love Adele's song, but I have a feeling if David Arnold had been on board as a composer he might have begged for Shirley Bassey. He did some work with her in 2008 and this year being the 50th I'm sure he would've felt it appropriate.

It's the 50th anniversery, of course they were going to choose a female vocalist who can belt one out...

Adele had that classic Shirley Bassey feel.

Can we talk about the cinematography? I've been a long time fan of Roger Deakins and he deserves an Oscar for Skyfall along with just about every film he's done but this one had some incredible shots.

Those shots of Shanghai were simply amazing. I agree, he does deserve an Oscar for this.

Those shots of Shanghai and the whole fight with Patrice and all that blue lightning was mind-blowing. All of the scenery shots were brilliant as well. I loved the long shot of Bond and M standing in Scotland. Deakins definitely deserves an Oscar.

Also, I love Adele's song, but I have a feeling if David Arnold had been on board as a composer he might have begged for Shirley Bassey. He did some work with her in 2008 and this year being the 50th I'm sure he would've felt it appropriate.

Adele sells more records. They wanted a hit for Skyfall and Adele can and has delivered it.

I love the scene where Bond is on the raft going to the Shanghai night club. I wouldn't be surprised of Deakins gets nominated.

Edited by Georgy Zhukov

Adele was perfect.

Saw it for the third time tonight, still incredible and still my favorite Bond movie

One more thing I picked up on:

Maybe this is just a coincidence but in the title sequence, "Judi Dench as M" appears over a tombstone. Seeing how many references there were in the title sequence, I wouldn't be surprised if this was intentional.

I like Adele's song but I love Muse and think Supremacy is a great track. I'm going to see the film tonight so will decide whether Muse's song would be more appropriate. From what I've seen on the trailer there's a LOT of action in it so maybe a good rock song would be better.

Muse do not suck. Their sound has changed and just because they don't have the classic rock sound that some people want from them some people say they are shit and everyone else jumps on the bandwagon. The 2nd Law has some great tracks (not all) on it. Just because it's not for everyone doesn't mean it's shit. Some of their piano composition is really good.

Anyway, back on topic, my favourite Bond theme was Goldfinger and of course The Living Daylights was great. Awesome song with the classic bond sound and the last Bond film that John Barry scored. A-ha and John Barry was a magic combo IMO.