The James Bond Thread: RIP Robbie Coltrane

James Bond

Plus the Christmas in Turkey and Christmas coming more than once are great one-liners.

I thought they sucked.

I'm hoping/assuming that's sarcasm.

I think TWINE is Brosnan's 2nd best Bond. The movie would be a million times better if "Christmas Jones" :

A. Didn't have that name, since it's obvious they named her that for the joke at the end

B. Wasn't played by Denise Richards. I mean, c'mon! :lol:

The storyline itself is pretty good, compared to most of the Moore/Dalton/other Brosnan movies.

Many fans predicted the exact Christmas jokes as soon as the character's name was announced. That's when you know they've chosen a bad name for a Bond girl.

The one line I actually think is decent though is Bond's response to the "Don't many any jokes" line:

"I don't know any doctor jokes."

Monica Belucci would have been better but they wanted big named actresses. I would have taken Maria Grazia Cucinotta over Denise Richards but Richards was famous at the time. It would be like having Kate Upton as the new Bond girl.

I will always say that with a few exceptions (Honor Blackman and Diana Rigg) Bond girls should always be played by someone who is not as well known.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ford is too, blue collared Americana.

PS

I have long since thought that John Saxon would have made a good Bond; he was the right age also, when both Lazenby (1969) and Moore (1973) were cast. Cary Grant, who would have been Bond if he had agreed to sign up for more than just, Dr No, would have interesting also; he would have been a 'Moore-style Bond' right at the beginning of the franchise. You could actually argue that Moore was essentially a Cary Grant imitator: slick, smooth, comedic.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Ford is too, blue collared Americana.

PS

I have long since thought that John Saxon would have made a good Bond; he was the right age also, when both Lazenby (1969) and Moore (1973) were cast. Cary Grant, who would have been Bond if he had agreed to sign up for more than just, Dr No, would have interesting also; he would have been a 'Moore-style Bond' right at the beginning of the franchise. You could actually argue that Moore was essentially a Cary Grant imitator: slick, smooth, comedic.

James Bond was a rough around the edges guy that came from submarines and Special Ops, so he would have been semi-refined as an officer, but not above throwing punches in a bar fight because he stole someone's girlfriend or wife. I think Harrison would have been okay, but maybe coming off of "Star Wars" where he was more charismatic and charming, and he's done romantic comedy movies, but I can't see him being James Bond. The context is that James Bond would have been recast as American, and you're not having an American with a fake accent. I know MGM had discussed doing that in the past. What about Alec Baldwin around "Hunt For Red October" timeframe, being that Sean Connery was in that movie with him? I'm sure rumor mill mid-90s had his name in the hat.

Saxon would have been good for early-mid 70s Bond, he probably wishes he was asked, but in the early 70s, Steve McQueen would have probably been higher on the list. Robert Redford was the right age for it, too.

Edited by dalsh327

Harrison is just too, blue-collared American - as I said. You need someone slick with a good British accent: I have never seen Harrison do either. Harrison's whole thing is, the average American joe - sort of like, a modern Jimmy Stewart with a bit more physicality. This is not, typical Bond material.

• Like 1

Harrison is just too, blue-collared American - as I said. You need someone slick with a good British accent: I have never seen Harrison do either. Harrison's whole thing is, the average American joe - sort of like, a modern Jimmy Stewart with a bit more physicality. This is not, typical Bond material.

America's got Jack Ryan and Jason Bourne they can keep going with. The first adaptation of James Bond was American, on TV in the mid 50s.

First draft of the script was finished awhile ago. Logan and Mendes have been working

The script seems like it would be the easiest part of it. After how "Skyfall" did, budget shouldn't be an issue, but they also have to be realistic about deadlines and how much is too much. "Spare no expense" can lead to a gadget heavy, bad acting and flimsy storyline, which is always the risk with a Bond flick. Comic Con's had a history of showing off the car before the movie's out, so that should be next summer. I'm sure we'll find out where the shooting locations are in coming months.

First draft of the script was finished awhile ago. Logan and Mendes have been working

The script seems like it would be the easiest part of it. After how "Skyfall" did, budget shouldn't be an issue, but they also have to be realistic about deadlines and how much is too much. "Spare no expense" can lead to a gadget heavy, bad acting and flimsy storyline, which is always the risk with a Bond flick. Comic Con's had a history of showing off the car before the movie's out, so that should be next summer. I'm sure we'll find out where the shooting locations are in coming months.

I think the script would be the hard part because this is the 24th film and it still has to be fresh. Next six months we will get location photos then finally casting.

I think the script would be the hard part because this is the 24th film and it still has to be fresh. Next six months we will get location photos then finally casting.

Hopefully the re-introduction of Blofeld happens, and they'll probably promote the 50th of Goldfinger next year.

Hopefully the re-introduction of Blofeld happens, and they'll probably promote the 50th of Goldfinger next year.

Except that this is the 50th year of Goldfinger. ;)

Thunderball, however...

But you're right. I won't be surprised if the anniversary of the height of "Bondmania" is incorporated into the marketing. Plus the film will ride on Skyfall's success.