Do you believe Guns n Roses has transcended the U.S. and is truly a global band?

saber_

Do you believe Guns n Roses has transcended the U.S. and is truly a global band? I would like to hear your opinions...

I don't know - why don't you post 10 years of stats as evidence before you form a baseless opinion.

I'm not sure what the hell you're babbling about, but this thread's scope extends far beyond "stats." I'm talking about Guns n Roses' global popularity and recognition. They became a global band in 1988, and I would maintain still very much are a global band. They have plenty of appeal in many countries around the world. I don't need stats to prove that- I can simply post youtube videos of their concerts during their recent trip through South America.

Edited by brainsaber

Do you believe Guns n Roses has transcended the U.S. and is truly a global band? I would like to hear your opinions...

Seeing as they play to much larger crowds outside the US and people in all four corners of the globe have known there music for decades, the answer is yes.

Ticket sales are all that matters.

Is thaaaat so? Careful now.

And your question is dumb - Guns N' Roses became a global band in 1991.

I guess you're probably one of those new fans who was probably born long after 1993, but I was there, and if anything is "dumb," it's you trying to assert GnR didn't become a global event with AFD.

You should be asking "are they still a global band, and if not, how far have they fallen?".

You really are in denial about some of the concert numbers outside of the States aren't you?

Yes. Alternative/grunge was never as big internationally as it was in North America. Guns is therefore still regarded in many parts of the world as one of the last great rock n' roll bands to come along and still among the top acts. It seems Guns' "home turf" these days is much more in Latin America and Europe/UK than the US...

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY

Seeing as they play to much larger crowds outside the US and people in all four corners of the globe have known there music for decades, the answer is yes.

This

and the Nuband is still a global band.

Yes they are a global brand and one of the biggest global groups ever, it's especially crazy when you think about the fact that the original band was together only 6 relevant years and established this huge status in that short time. Like they may be South America's most popular band ever, they headlined Rock in Rio three consecutive times and two of those times was while the band was essentially a recluse and not really a band at all with 1 remaining member, so how could a reclusive band headline that kind of huge event?

To prove my point off the top of my head I think it is the country of Argentina that GNR holds so many positions in their best selling albums in country history

actually here is a wiki link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums_in_Argentina

go through the list from top to bottom and notice how many positions GNR hold, not to mention 2 of the top 4 in country history lol.

Yeah they are global bro

Edited by amacfantasy

The real question is....has Mr. Big transcended the US and is now a truly global band? After all, they're WAY bigger in Japan than they are in North America.

Not just them....what about all the other nostalgia acts that play well overseas?

:rolleyes:

Yes. Because of the classic band and because of Axl's legendary status.

The current band wouldn't do nearly as well if they only played their own music.

But with Axl singing the classic band's hits......yes. I would say they are more popular overseas where fans aren't caught up in who is in the band, they just want to hear Axl singing the classic songs.

GNR hasn't been "hip" in the US since 1992. Once the Seattle thing hit, kids traded in their bike shorts and mullets for baggy jeans and stratocasters. GNR remains huge outside of the US, but here, they are dead and irrelevant.

Doesn't stop me from buying the records though lol

GNR hasn't been "hip" in the US since 1992. Once the Seattle thing hit, kids traded in their bike shorts and mullets for baggy jeans and stratocasters. GNR remains huge outside of the US, but here, they are dead and irrelevant.

Kids didn't abandon GNR like that, not with a 2 year world tour that did as well as they did. It was when they got off the road they were faced with a dilemma.

I think they are a band you can find fans anywhere in the world of, the songs still mean something to a lot of people, even if they weren't born at the time they were a hit song. The generation that grew up listening to them are different than the ones who've discovered them over the past decade, if anything, this generation's more open to the new music than the older fans. I think that's good for Axl, actually, but then the demand for a reunion is also going to come from them at some point, because they want to hear all the people who created that music, because they're all alive and can still play it well, it would prob. take a couple of months of rehearsal time, just because they'd be doing more UYI songs that none of them have done in 20 years.

To most people, WTTJ and Smells Like Teen Spirit are just kick ass songs, a generation brought up on Apple product just wants the music, some look into the history at some point, but to most people, it's a workout mix, it's music to listen to at the beach, something to crank up in the car, and gets people pumped up at sporting events.

Yes. Because of the classic band and because of Axl's legendary status.

The current band wouldn't do nearly as well if they only played their own music.

But with Axl singing the classic band's hits......yes. I would say they are more popular overseas where fans aren't caught up in who is in the band, they just want to hear Axl singing the classic songs.

This.

Kids didn't abandon GNR like that, not with a 2 year world tour that did as well as they did. It was when they got off the road they were faced with a dilemma.

I think they are a band you can find fans anywhere in the world of, the songs still mean something to a lot of people, even if they weren't born at the time they were a hit song. The generation that grew up listening to them are different than the ones who've discovered them over the past decade, if anything, this generation's more open to the new music than the older fans. I think that's good for Axl, actually, but then the demand for a reunion is also going to come from them at some point, because they want to hear all the people who created that music, because they're all alive and can still play it well, it would prob. take a couple of months of rehearsal time, just because they'd be doing more UYI songs that none of them have done in 20 years.

To most people, WTTJ and Smells Like Teen Spirit are just kick ass songs, a generation brought up on Apple product just wants the music, some look into the history at some point, but to most people, it's a workout mix, it's music to listen to at the beach, something to crank up in the car, and gets people pumped up at sporting events.

Well said. Guns was definitely knocked off the "Biggest Band in the World!" throne by grunge (particularly in the US) BUT they weren't out for the count... They were still among the bigger acts in the US and as I recall it rumors of Guns finally going back to the studio in the mid 90's was still very big news. I think what really changed was that Guns went from having a virtual monopoly/strangle-hold on "credibility" from 88-91/92 to having to share that status with the Nirvana's, Metallica's, Pearl Jam's, STP's, etc. and that maybe did come across as a "demotion" of sorts at the time.

At any rate, by the time grunge had regressed to the Creed's of the world in '99- SPIN was calling for the "Return of Axl Rose" and Rolling Stone and MTV were all beating down his door. GN'R/Axl certainly wasn't forgotten very long (if at all)...

As far as today goes- completely agreed as well. IMHO kids of today (for the most part) could give a fuck about the Axl v. Kurt, Guns v. Metallica, grunge v. hard rock debates and crap. If a song ROCKS- it makes it on to their play lists. Fortunately, Guns have plenty of songs that rock. :thumbsup: