VMA performance was 10 years ago today

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

I still don't see what was so special about this Madagascar. One of the best televised performances of any song in GNR history? Someone explain this to me.

wE GET IT, RELAX FELLAH!

Madagascar is a song about some stuff. Axl felt that stuff needed to be delivered to the world...

But seriously, listen to the lyrics. Axl had a message to send to the world.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this was the moment at which i lost all faith in axl's ability to carry on nugnr. i remember being hugely excited when this was happening. friends and i were calling each other. but by the end of it, there was no fooling ourselves. i remember it was around this time that i first registered for the old mygnr message board. i registered the screenname "AxlIsFat"

this was the moment at which i lost all faith in axl's ability to carry on nugnr. i remember being hugely excited when this was happening. friends and i were calling each other. but by the end of it, there was no fooling ourselves. i remember it was around this time that i first registered for the old mygnr message board. i registered the screenname "AxlIsFat"

So you've been carrying this pathetic grudge for 10 years now?

just talking to other fans about my favorite band. i kill some time in the morning and the night and have a few laughs. by this point, it has way more to do with having a laugh at people like you who still seem to take nugnr seriously. i find that endlessly amusing. but it honestly has very little to do with axl any more. it's just with each new low he achieves, i enjoy seeing the once ardent supporters slowly turn. and i enjoy seeing the twisted logic used by the few remaining fans with any faith in axl. oh, and i enjoy the funny things some other people post. there's lots of entertainment here. it really has little to do with axl.

Edited by HisRoyalSweetness

just talking to other fans about my favorite band. i kill some time in the morning and the night and have a few laughs. by this point, it has way more to do with having a laugh at people like you who still seem to take nugnr seriously. i find that endlessly amusing. but it honestly has very little to do with axl any more. it's just with each new low he achieves, i enjoy seeing the once ardent supporters slowly turn. and i enjoy seeing the twisted logic used by the few remaining fans with any faith in axl. oh, and i enjoy the funny things some other people post. there's lots of entertainment here. it really has little to do with axl.

I find it slightly creepy that you have nothing better to do with your life than hang out at a forum for a band you don't like just to try to rile fans up. I understand that it can be funny but it is still rather sad. Like if I hung out at Bieber fora just to piss with the beliebers. How pathetic I would be.

What does it mean to "take nugnr seriously"? I like the music, I like the shows, I find the whole saga of GN'R entertaining, and therefore I like to hang out and discuss the band. I do it because I am a fan of the band, you do it because you are bitter because your expectations turned out to be flawed. It seems like you are the one taking things too seriously since you just can't let it go.

I think Axl's 2001-2002 voice was a combination of:

-Not singing for 5 years. Like producers working with him around 1998 said, it was a struggle to get him to sing anything because he was depressed. His voice needed to be re-trained.

-Gaining weight. He bulked up in 2002, and during that year especially he was running around onstage a lot.

Both factors together made for a really bad voice.

By 2006 he had slimmed down and had worked with a vocal coach.

Also, someone brought this up in another thread recently - was 2001-2002 the first time Axl had used an in-ear monitor as opposed to stage monitors? Adjusting to those might have made Axl think he sounded normal when he didn't.

For your last point, I do believe that it would have been the first time he used the in-ear monitors.

However, it'd likely have the opposite effect of what you suggest. In his ear, he's getting a clear feed of his vocals and whatever member(s) of the band he wants to hear most. Stage monitors are essentially speakers on the stage and because of the extra noise from the band, the crowd, and other factors in an arena, Axl might have thought he sounded fine out of those. With the ear monitors, ideally he'd have a clear feed of his vocals so if anything, his mistakes would be even more apparent in say an in-ear feed than a live feed. You're probably right that he needed to adjust to hearing his voice like that, but it shouldn't have lead to "Mickey Mouse" or anything. A good example of the difference would be to take the soundboard feed of a concert and compare it to an audience bootleg. His voice would sound stronger in a crowd recorded bootleg than a soundboard feed because of other factors in the recording. The clarity of the soundboard would bring out more mistakes.

The same is true for any band. I recorded some videos on my camera both times I saw KISS, and Paul actually sounds better on my videos than the soundboard recording because any pitch problems are much more apparent.

Edit: I should add that the in-ear monitors might have made it seem like he was singing more powerful than he actually was since his vocals would be so much clearer/louder. Perhaps that's what you were getting at. Ignore me then. :lol:

Edited by James Bond

Man...10 years already ?

Look at how much they accomplished since that performance !!!

:confused:

They went backwards, if anything. Sure, the new band is good, but that 2002 lineup was magical, a freak show, but it really seemed like something magical and unforgettable. That lineup could've accomplished a lot, but instead they did a few concerts, caused two riots due to no shows, and then bucket left, brain left, and eventually robin left. Only good thing about the current band is Bumble.

Man...10 years already ?

Look at how much they accomplished since that performance !!!

:confused:

They went backwards, if anything. Sure, the new band is good, but that 2002 lineup was magical, a freak show, but it really seemed like something magical and unforgettable. That lineup could've accomplished a lot, but instead they did a few concerts, caused two riots due to no shows, and then bucket left, brain left, and eventually robin left. Only good thing about the current band is Bumble.

agreed. 2002 guns n roses is magical