Kurt Cobain vs. John Lennon

Vincent Vega

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Why is this even a thread? I mean come on Miser there's not even a comparison to be made. John would not only have played him off the stage he'd have given him a wedgie and nicked his fucking lunch money.

Edited by Dazey

Why is this even a thread? I mean come on Miser there's not even a comparison to be made. John would not only have played him off the stage he'd have given him a wedgie and nicked his fucking lunch money.

+1

Another tired "Kurt Cobain Vs" thread are n`t you tired of this bullshit people ?

hmm it really comes down to personal preference but i'd say i would probably chose lennon because his songs makes a lot of sense to me than cobain's... but 6-7 years ago i would have said cobain.

both wrote a lot of songs that revolved around innovative riffs... so its hard to judge them guitar wise.

anyway lenny throw in ur 2 cents... who do u prefer?

Guest Len B'stard

Music isn't a competition....

This i totally agree with, commerce made music into a competition, which is sort of contrary to the idea of artistry and such, weird thing for me to say considering how many of these discussions i engage in but i only do so cuz it's a question i'm presented with and one does ones best with the given criteria, as opposed to expressly agreeing with the idea of music being some kind of Celebrity Squares gameshow type thing.

But it's gotta be Lennon, all day, it's an unfair comparison really, Lennon was some kind of fuckin' monster, it's just not natural to be able to write songs that good with that amount of frequency (although you can't lay all that at his door, Paul and George and Ringo were in the band too although, y'know, everybody knows the story, principle songwriters and all that). Lennon was sick though, i mean even as a solo artists he could pretty much write them to order. Kurt Cobain 99% of the time had some kind of like, personal thing in the music but Lennon was just a songwriting machine, you could literally go 'OK, i need a song about a girl whose left his guy" and blah blah blah, y'know, whatever, specifics and the boy could reel you something off pretty tidy, it's how he wrote "issue" songs like Attica State and John Sinclair and got em out there while the issues were still relevant...and made amazing songs of em at that.

Kurts brilliant, i love Nirvana and all but there simply is no comparison to John Lennon, he was just the full package. I mean for fuckssake, the guy saw a poster and dreamt up Being For The Benefit of Mr Kite up off of it, it's fuckin' phenomenal.

Also, i mean Jesus Christ, historical importance alone. Kurt had shades of some kind of ability in that sort of direction but it certainly wasn't anything comparable to what Lennon did/was capable of.

It's almost a bad question for me to answer because The Beatles, to me, stand supreme, head and shoulders above anything that ever happened in popular music, they literally are the greatest thing ever in popular music for my money, everything else just pales in comparison, no band is like them or will be like them or can be like them, that was just some kind of one shot disposable retard-fluke-mistake that those guys met at that time and came together like they did.

EDIT: Everything pales except The Sex Pistols :D

Edited by sugaraylen

never been a big fan of lennon or the beatles but i do like quite a few beatles songs and i have tons of respect for them, without the beatles rock n roll would have never evolved the way it did.

as for guitarist i will say lennon as well, cobain is a horrible guitar player john gets the job done adequately