Exclusive: Axl Rose Interview

Un42nutzly

I wish he would stop talking about Slash and all the other idots that quit the band.

I wish he would stop playing (ruining) the music that all the other idiots that quit the band wrote.

Oh wise one, enlighten me, how is that music ruined?

If you actually compare and contrast, this band actually plays it better :P Mainly because the band back then was always trashed and couldn't think of the transition of the next chord XD

Agreed. GNR are more professional, precise and more talented than ever in 2012.

And FAR less popular if we're going to compare.

All I'm saying is I get the vibe that Axl's open to the idea of a reunion with some obvious conditions such as Slash apologizing. I think if at all possible Axl would rather have all this fun, promotion, and good times with the classic GNR lineup. It probably feels like a lost dream to him, but I'm certain he'd rather be playing stadiums instead of areans, writing new music without any "piecemeal, one person here, one person there" b.s, and overall once again being in the biggest band in the world. If classic GNR reunited the band would immediately become the Led Zeppelin/Stones caliber story of the year. I can't see any reason why he would rather have fun with this lineup than old guns. The only reason he's "content" with being the "king" of the operation is because he has nobody else to lean on and doesn't really have a choice.

With all due respect Axl wanted to be King in old Guns as well which is part of the reason Duff, Izzy and Slash quit so I think you are wrong thinking Axl does not want to be the man in charge and, if you believe him, Slash would never work with Axl under those conditions...Marc Canter even has said Slash would never work with Axl unless it was as equals.

Edited by classicrawker

And the reason they're less popular is because the people playing the music had nothing to do with creating the music. They play it like notes on a page. You don't get to see the guys who wrote it from their heart on stage playing it out in front of your eyes. That's the magic of GNR, it was all about the fan-band connection. Images, the difference in personalities, the lyrics, the way the music came together, and the way the music was presented with five guys putting their lives out for the whole world to see. That was the magic. Not an out of shape Axl Rose with a band of replacements playing notes on a page.

So Axl planed new music. Good

but "Supermodel girlfriend Stephanie Seymour and original Guns guitarist Slash and bassist Duff McKagan "did more damage to my ability as a writer."

this is the same "i'm insane, others are evil crap, that we hear so many years...

Do you think the lyrics or the melodies on CD are crap?

I love watching people on here fight over this stuff. This forum and the people in it are proof that there will never be world peace. Can't let things go. The old band broke up. It's over. Move on, enjoy the new music from everyone who was ever involved in GN'R or not.

Quoted for truth.

The old band was my favorite rock band of all time. Axl has been my favorite rock singer since 1988. CD is one of my 7 favorite albums of all time. I think that all the members of the old band contributed to the band's break-up. I think Axl is the best rock singer of my generation, and have seen him live several times. I listen to GnR more than all other music combined. But I don't worship Axl's every move, and I don't think that Slash is the Devil. I cannot WAIT for Axl to let the new band shine on a new album.

To some on this forum, this makes me a bitter hater cupcake.

Such is the forum.

Fans who discount GNR as less legitimate than the original: "They can think whatever they want. I'm not interested in their opinions."

yeah, we saw that. But this is your....

business (this is why people discount GNR as less legitimate than the original)

but "Supermodel girlfriend Stephanie Seymour and original Guns guitarist Slash and bassist Duff McKagan "did more damage to my ability as a writer."

this is the same "i'm insane, others are evil crap, that we hear so many years...

most of the lyrics? i do. Pure corny crap. But i love the album overall

Edited by Crash Diet

All I'm saying is I get the vibe that Axl's open to the idea of a reunion with some obvious conditions such as Slash apologizing. I think if at all possible Axl would rather have all this fun, promotion, and good times with the classic GNR lineup. It probably feels like a lost dream to him, but I'm certain he'd rather be playing stadiums instead of areans, writing new music without any "piecemeal, one person here, one person there" b.s, and overall once again being in the biggest band in the world. If classic GNR reunited the band would immediately become the Led Zeppelin/Stones caliber story of the year. I can't see any reason why he would rather have fun with this lineup than old guns. The only reason he's "content" with being the "king" of the operation is because he has nobody else to lean on and doesn't really have a choice.

With all due respect Axl wanted to be King in old Guns well which is part of the reason Duff, Izzy and Slash quit so I think you are wrong thinking Axl does not want to be the man in charge and, if you believe him, Slash would never work with Axl under those conditions...Marc Canter even has said Slash would never work with Axl unless it was as equals.

He may have wanted to be in charge, but is this not likely due to the fact that when Illusions started, the following had happened:

1) Izzy got clean and couldn't deal with the other guys in the band. He kept to himself and didn't take an active interest in the band. Why? Probably because he knew he wasn't an iconic member of the band to the general public; that space belonged solely to Axl, Slash, and to a lesser extent Duff.

2) Axl kept totally to himself and distanced himself from the other guys issues.

3) Slash was a full blown alcoholic and heroin addict on the verge of death.

4) Duff was a full blown alcoholic who from the looks of it couldn't hold a conversation.

5) Steven had already been removed from the band for drug addiction and Axl personally witnessed his descent into drug abuse and addiction. This couldn't have been easy.

6) It fell on Axl's shoulders to maintain the image of the band that was so successful. Badass, don't give two fuc*s about anything, appetite for destruction. He probably felt like he couldn't tell anybody in the media what his actual feelings were, and this definitely came back to hurt him.

The proof is in the pudding. We all know now how sensitive Axl really is...how one comment can send him into complete withdrawal for days. In 1991, did anybody see that side of him? It was all anger, which is probably the only way he knew how to channel that energy at the time. If Izzy hadn't slacked off and been so flakey and Axl was actually willing to talk, there's no way things would have shaken out the way they did. Axl probably felt really threatened that he could lose the only thing he had left: the band. Nobody knows the truth except the guys in the band, but everybody has a different version of the truth. With Slash trying to reunite in '04, with Steven wanting to reunite for almost a decade, and with Izzy and Duff both joining Axl on stage how can we really believe anything those guys say about the breakup of the band? They were as much to blame as Axl was. I don't think it's the fact that Axl wanted to be king in old guns, its just that everybody else was either so out of it on drugs/booze or just had a total disinterest that it ended up working out that way.

With all due respect Axl wanted to be King in old Guns well which is part of the reason Duff, Izzy and Slash quit so I think you are wrong thinking Axl does not want to be the man in charge and, if you believe him, Slash would never work with Axl under those conditions...Marc Canter even has said Slash would never work with Axl unless it was as equals.

He may have wanted to be in charge, but is this not likely due to the fact that when Illusions started, the following had happened:

1) Izzy got clean and couldn't deal with the other guys in the band. He kept to himself and didn't take an active interest in the band. Why? Probably because he knew he wasn't an iconic member of the band to the general public; that space belonged solely to Axl, Slash, and to a lesser extent Duff.

2) Axl kept totally to himself and distanced himself from the other guys issues.

4) Duff was a full blown alcoholic who from the looks of it couldn't hold a conversation.

5) Steven had already been removed from the band for drug addiction and Axl personally witnessed his descent into drug abuse and addiction. This couldn't have been easy.

6) It fell on Axl's shoulders to maintain the image of the band that was so successful. Badass, don't give two fuc*s about anything, appetite for destruction. He probably felt like he couldn't tell anybody in the media what his actual feelings were, and this definitely came back to hurt him.

The proof is in the pudding. We all know now how sensitive Axl really is...how one comment can send him into complete withdrawal for days. In 1991, did anybody see that side of him? It was all anger, which is probably the only way he knew how to channel that energy at the time. If Izzy hadn't slacked off and been so flakey and Axl was actually willing to talk, there's no way things would have shaken out the way they did. Axl probably felt really threatened that he could lose the only thing he had left: the band. Nobody knows the truth except the guys in the band, but everybody has a different version of the truth. With Slash trying to reunite in '04, with Steven wanting to reunite for almost a decade, and with Izzy and Duff both joining Axl on stage how can we really believe anything those guys say about the breakup of the band? They were as much to blame as Axl was. I don't think it's the fact that Axl wanted to be king in old guns, its just that everybody else was either so out of it on drugs/booze or just had a total disinterest that it ended up working out that way.

No actually if you read the old interviews Duff, Izzy, Slash and in some cases Gilby and Matt all have pretty much the same version of the "truth" Axl is the only one with a different version..........

No actually if you read the old interviews Duff, Izzy, Slash and in some cases Gilby and Matt all have pretty much the same version of the "truth" Axl is the only one with a different version..........

All I know is if I went downtown and got mugged by 5 junkies or alcoholics chances are people would believe me instead of them. You're trying to look at the big picture through a microscope. I'm sure there's a lot more that happened to break up guns then the only thing you're interested in which is supposedly the "signing the name over" incident. Nice to blame everything on that but the argument loses weight when it takes Slash 4 years to quit the band, and Duff even longer after that situation. There's a lot more to the truth of the breakup of GNR than one incident that didn't seem to matter to anyone until Slash, Duff and Matt were trying to break free of the reigns of Axl/GNR to sell more copies of Contraband. They said at the time Scott was an unbelievable singer and the perfect guy for the band, 4 years later he was never supposed to be there and the only reason he was brought in was because of record company pressure. You can figure it out.

I love watching people on here fight over this stuff. This forum and the people in it are proof that there will never be world peace. Can't let things go. The old band broke up. It's over. Move on, enjoy the new music from everyone who was ever involved in GN'R or not.

Quoted for truth.

The old band was my favorite rock band of all time. Axl has been my favorite rock singer since 1988. CD is one of my 7 favorite albums of all time. I think that all the members of the old band contributed to the band's break-up. I think Axl is the best rock singer of my generation, and have seen him live several times. I listen to GnR more than all other music combined. But I don't worship Axl's every move, and I don't think that Slash is the Devil. I cannot WAIT for Axl to let the new band shine on a new album.

To some on this forum, this makes me a bitter hater cupcake.

Such is the forum.

I was speaking in generalities. I think a lot of people come here out of a love of Guns N' Roses. And we're here because of the Classic Lineup not the new line up. I still like "Nuguns" enjoyed the shows I have seen live. But it honestly bugs me when members of this forum attack each other over some made up allegiance they have to what ever era they feel defines them. We have all 5 of these guys around making music. Bringing us that joy that music should, and we soil it because we can't move on from how things turned out.

Edited by cooker

Classic....but don't you know that because Canter said Slash lies, that means that Slash lies about EVERYTHING 24/7? And that Slash and Duff were so drunk/high all the time, that they couldn't even speak complete sentences? Gilby doesn't matter because he was a replacement. And Matt doesn't matter because he is arrogant and has bad hair.

Axl holds 1% of the blame. 99% of it falls to the other members. And all the ex-band members, media members, other musicians that were around the band, producers, etc that disagree with my statement are just JEALOUS of Axl's talent and success. He wrote "out to get me" for a reason. And today, Slash is still jealous of Axl's success and life.

Isn't it amazing how simple this story really is, but how so many people (on both sides) have to constantly fight about it?

Axl was a controlling egomaniac who treated people like crap. His antics (the way he treated people, showing up late or not showing up at all, etc) led to the band breaking up.

Slash and Duff had major substance issues, which led to the band breaking up.

Creative and musical differences led to the band breaking up. One group wanted guitar driven rock, one wanted queen like epic material.

All members played a role in the band's demise.

And then probably 10-20% insider stuff none of us know about.

NONE OF US ON THIS FORUM, even those who think they know everything, know any more than the paragraph I just posted. NONE of us were with the band, hung out with the band, spent days and days with members of the band. Everything else is just pure speculation - biased by whichever side you favor or like more.

HOW CAN THEY EVEN REMEMBER, THEY WERE DRUNK AND/OR ON SERIOUS DRUGS. AXL WAS NOT. Sorum is the only one and he even said that he has been hard on Axl and he is a good guy.

I would also hate to see a lot of your personal lives if you can't get over this. There must be a ton of ex's who have to deal with your apparent inability to let go.

Well these forum members are/or were fans of AXL ROSE....what did you expect?

MSL, a guy who loves facts and truth, writes on a public forum things that are neither facts or truth. Talk about irony.

strawman bullshit. such weak cowardly tactics. i'm right here motherfucker. no need for vague empty rhetoric. my posts are there for you to respond to. why do you favor ignoring my points and continuing to resort to empty and meaningless mockery?

Dude, aren't you the plump weirdo who was on here for years trying to garner attention with ridiculous actiions and threatening to leak things,etc?

Yeah, pretty sure that was you. You have no credibility. Now go outside and go for a jog.

he also said he had proof that axl had been stiffing the band out of money they earned on tour, and he encouraged band members to contact him to discuss how he could help them. also hilarious was that he referred to himself as 'the chinese democracy guy.'

I would also hate to see a lot of your personal lives if you can't get over this. There must be a ton of ex's who have to deal with your apparent inability to let go.

Well these forum members are/or were fans of AXL ROSE....what did you expect?

Haha. Touche.

Actually, yeah. Some of the lyrics are good and some of the music is good...rarely at the same time though. It's shoddy songwriting as a whole imo...so atleast Axl is sorta self aware in that respect. Of course that's Slash, Duff and Stephanie's fault though, wasn't specified in what life they caused this problem, but it was definitely their fault.

The odds of a Guns truce: "I feel that ball's not in my court. I'm surviving this war, not the one who created this war."

Best damn news I have heard in quite some time.

IMO Axl is just trying to look good in the picture and therefore implying that the blame lies elsewhere (Slash, Duff...).

It's funny that Axl now seems to put Slash & Duff in the same sentence, since the RnR HOF event anyway...

Edited by trqster

Exactly what I've been saying. People are misconstruing what Axl said to be Pro-Reunion. More like Pro-Truce. Nothing about a reunion. That is not in this lifetime.

I'd be thrilled with a truce. It's for the best.

Exactly what I've been saying. People are misconstruing what Axl said to be Pro-Reunion. More like Pro-Truce. Nothing about a reunion. That is not in this lifetime.

I'd be thrilled with a truce. It's for the best.

Yeah I agree, a truce is awesome. Clears all beef and they could live without that burden of revenge and avoidance.