Exclusive: Axl Rose Interview

Un42nutzly

I do have some gripes though. He is still putting a lot of the blame on the old lineup.

He blames Duff/Slash for his writer's block.

He says they and Izzy brought him guitar parts and expected him to just write lyrics, and they didn't all work as a unit in studio. But honestly, Axl showed up so late after the band had been dicking around and wasting time in the studio for how long? I recall them saying he'd sometimes show up several hours late at like 3 or 4 in the morning. I'd like for once to hear him say it's his fault also.

Edit: Not to mention he pushed to record in Chicago then didn't show up for weeks.

You may be completely missing the point of Axl's words - possibly on purpose, because that ain't hard fo understand. Have you ever thought that maybe, just maybe he didnt show up because he knew that they'd say 'that sucks, Axl, you suck' and because his confidence was hurt? Claiming how he did not show up doesnt add nothing to the discussion - in fact sounds like yet another desperate cupcake attempt.

Regarding the Seymour thing, I guess you people never had friends or girlfriends. I'll give you an easier example so you may understand now. Lets say Im a footballer and I in fact listen to my girlfriend more often than I list to people that I work with - she is hurting my confidence claiming how I'm not doing well, how I cant score goals at all, and on top of that, my team mates tell me that the team isnt doing well because I'm the one to blame. My confidence is already hurt because my girlfriend made me feel bad, and now my two best friends go on claiming that I suck. If im not in good spirits I might even not show up for training sections and games.

See? Easy to understand.

That might be plausible ... and yet he still did show up. Just hours upon hours late. By that time, if I remember correctly, Slash said he and Duff would split and go hang out at the titty bar or wherever. Point being, if his confidence is so shattered by Duff/Slash, then he probably wouldn't have shown up at all. But he did. On his own time. All the while wasting other peoples' time and money. That doesn't make for a very good working environment.

I think people forget that Axl takes a massive hit on his own earnings when he shows up late. Its very unlikely that he looks at it as "just showing up at any time that suits me", what is more likely is that he deals with serious and severe stress about performing and the negative band environment during the UYI tour made things even worse for him mentally.

To say that if his confidence was hurt he wouldnt show up at all makes no sense. Many of us deal with confidence issues at some stage of our lives and they hamper us but we dont opt out entirely nor would Axl have had a choice to do so. He would have been annihilated by the legal and financial troubles.

Axl might be releasing his autobiography soon, it seems like he is wanting to tell his part of the story

Let's not get carried away.... :tongue2: Wouldn't that be awesome, though? Of all the GNR books, Axl's autobiography would be the best selling, by a landslide. Of course, we all know his opinion is drastically different than the others, but it would be great to see, in his words, how everything went down....regardless of the...truthfulness.

Songwriting slump: Supermodel girlfriend Stephanie Seymour and original Guns guitarist Slash and bassist Duff McKagan "did more damage to my ability as a writer. To those three, it was all crap. It beat me down so much. At the time of the (Use Your Illusion) tours, Slash and Duff said, 'You're an idiot, you're a loser.' I didn't write for years. I felt I was hindered for a very long time. I was also trying to figure out what I wanted to say, when it's right to be venting and when you're digging a bigger hole. Lyrics on Chinese took a long time."

How the original band might have lasted: "Maybe if we could have worked together in the way Appetite was put together. I was really naïve. I thought the success of that record would bring everyone together more. It did the exact opposite. They got success and wanted to run in their own directions. I thought they'd go, 'Whoa, it did work.' But they wanted to do their own huge bigger success off of Guns."

The odds of a Guns truce: "I feel that ball's not in my court. I'm surviving this war, not the one who created this war."

Now this makes more sense....From that Spin article on Axl back in 2000 or whenever-"He seemed emotionally reserved and a little bit suspicious," says the techno whiz Moby, who spent some time with Axl in California in 1997. "He seemed a little bit like a beaten dog."

Everything around him crumbled at the time, but it would've helped if they all banded together like they did on the Hell tour and supported each other.

Calling it a war is a bit much, but I guess if the interviewer's using words like "truce", he couldn't help it.

It's possible Slash and Geffen had some sort of plot going on in stonewalling Axl, he did mention something on Piers Morgan about taking legal action when Axl was putting nuGuns together, but that would've been 1999-2001, long before VR happened.

No one knows how to handle the level of success where a band becomes a household name and everyone wants something from them. It doesn't matter what the music is or what they're wearing, same shit happens to them across the board, the question is whether or not they can keep it together, and if the band isn't damaged, their personal relationships almost always are.

Axl might be releasing his autobiography soon, it seems like he is wanting to tell his part of the story

Let's not get carried away.... :tongue2: Wouldn't that be awesome, though? Of all the GNR books, Axl's autobiography would be the best selling, by a landslide.

Indeed it would be awesome! :shades:

I find it strange that Axl is back to slamming Duff again, after their meeting and Duff playing with the band and all.

It's like Duff made an inroad there, and I'm guessing Team Brazil poisoned Axl's mind against Duff again. They were threatened.

I mean really bringing up three people you haven't had a substantial relationship with in 20 years? And the nonsensical nature of it. Slash and Duff calling him a loser during the Illusion tours? Highly doubtful, or a very skewed prespective anyway.

Axl will never be over this stuff, especially with unhealthy influences around him.

I find it strange that Axl is back to slamming Duff again, after their meeting and Duff playing with the band and all.

It's like Duff made an inroad there, and I'm guessing Team Brazil poisoned Axl's mind against Duff again. They were threatened.

I mean really bringing up three people you haven't had a substantial relationship with in 20 years? And the nonsensical nature of it. Slash and Duff calling him a loser during the Illusion tours? Highly doubtful, or a very skewed prespective anyway.

Axl will never be over this stuff, especially with unhealthy influences around him.

Duff playing with the band means what? History is now different because Duff played with current GN'R a few times? Accusing Team Brazil for any and everything seems to be the convenient mode of operation around here because you never need any evidence to present this view. The questions Axl was asked havent been given in the interview, so how would you know what he was asked? When Slash etc talk about Axl in their interviews, people usually go "well, he was asked so why shouldnt he say something"? Do you criticize such references to Axl by saying "well you havent had a substantial relationship with Axl in 20 years, why say anything"? Wouldnt that same logic apply to Axl too?

Whats so "nonsensical" or "skewed" about what Axl said about Slash and Duff rejecting his song-writing in the pre-break-up era of that line-up? Slash is on record mocking Axl's "Stephanie Seymour ballads" in an interview during this period in which he said he would be bored to death to do such songs. Duff, on being asked about the follow-up to TSI said firmly that there would be "no ballads" - Axl was the one who was known for writing ballads and so its obvious Duff too was rejecting much if not all of Axl's song-writing during this period.

Slash has talked in detail in his book about Axl's disinterest in his songs that became the first Snakepit album. Who is the "unhealthy influence" that forced Slash to talk about this?

Edited by rabia

The Black -

Just because you're interested to know the psychological details of why Axl is late does not mean he isn't take the blame. If I knocked over a glass in your home while you were away and upon your return you asked me who knocked over the glass, if I admit it was me, that is taking the blame. Telling you why I knocked it over is not a required element of accepting blame. Axl has very clearly taken the blame for many things and your continued denial is astounding.

I am not speaking for Axl. Axl himself has admitted publicly that tardiness has been a lifelong problem. Are you suggesting there is another side of the story and Axl is in fact not to blame for his history of tardiness?

Axl isn't a personal friend of mine and neither is Jason Newsted, but you are the one suggesting Newsted is a standup guy. I have not made the same claim about Axl. So no, are arguments are not equally biased. You're clearly making claims you have absolutely no way of knowing the accuracy of. I'm not.

Classic Rawker -

Shifting focus to factors that paint you in a better light is not always the same as lying. Do you expect Slash, Duff and Matt to go out of their way to focus public attention on the failures of their album and tour? Did you expect them to be proud of the fact that their record label was dropping them due to poor sales?

What opinion did I state as fact? Why did you choose to make a vague accusation instead of citing a specific statement?

How are you able to know if Scott wanted out or not? You reference his erratic behavior, showing up late, isolating himself, acting like a diva, etc, and yet it never occurs to you that maybe (like the rest of them) he was unhappy? Have you ever been in a band before? Do you really think it's a happy situation to be in when an album and tour flops? Especially for a band that was formed primarily for financially motivated reasons? Are you denying that Scott's main motivation for joining was the potential for financial success? Are you denying that he was wanted because of the potential for financial success? Are you denying that a lack of financial success would contribute to them no longer wanting to work together?

Also, how would you have any way of knowing whether Slash believes there is anything to apologize for? Why are you under the impression that celebrities always tell the truth publicly?

Further, you suggest Axl wanted to be "king" in the classic lineup, yet it was Slash that tried to dictate which songs would be used. Duff took Axl's side, not Slash's. Axl was not the one trying to bully the others into working on material they felt was substandard.

HisRoyalSweetness -

Almost two years later and you seem really hung up on this "chinese democracy guy" stuff. Since you appear confused by something that was very clearly stated, I will try to clear up the confusion for you.

You try to lead people to believe that I claimed to be "THE chinese democracy guy" as if I was not only involved with the creation of the album, but was most responsible for its creation. Obviously preposterous.

What I actually said was that while some people know of me from my work in professional wrestling and others know me from my music, more people know who I am from the chinese democracy stuff. Your attempt to twist and distort an honest and modest comment is very silly.

:rofl-lol:

There's still going to be some resentment between them, but not enough where they hate each other.

Do Del and Beta have a negative influence over Axl? I doubt it. He's done enough damages to himself in one lifetime. They contributed to the Slash/Axl feud so they could have Axl all to themselves and manipulate him, build a whole new band up because the whole thing came crumbling down? They'd be making more money with the old lineup, so if someone's not raking in the money like he used to, wouldn't make any sense.

I think by 'sooner', Axl means that the album making wont take 14 years. Which is fair. The only issue his that no album is in the works.

It also seems like everything Axl did/is accused of today was because of somebody else's fault. Wow.

At least he's consistent.

I think we'll see new music within 2 years, but it's going to be up to Axl when they're going to go in the studio and actually work on the songs together.

I think by 'sooner', Axl means that the album making wont take 14 years. Which is fair. The only issue his that no album is in the works.

It also seems like everything Axl did/is accused of today was because of somebody else's fault. Wow.

Nowhere was the word fault ever used. People like to repeat this "its always somebody else's fault" line to draw attention away from the particular facts involved in each situation. And the facts state that there is clear evidence that both Slash and Duff DID reject Axl's song-writing during a particular period just like Axl said.

That is the big question. Do they have the reported backlog of material already recorded? Did CD really cost 14 million dollars....or is the most expensive album ever made really a false statement, as 2-3 albums of material were recorded. And if that is the case, how relevant is that music going to sound? Ten year old songs? OR, is the new band getting together and writing and creating music together?

And ya, unfortunately that is how Axl has operated since the early days. He's always blamed other people for his failures or for holding him down. That has been his MO since the 80s! Except for a group of 4-5 posters on this forum, everybody else knows this to be true.

Again, the convenient "Axl always blames others" line is being used here to draw attention away from the specifics of what he said. The undeniable truth is that Slash and Duff's OWN statements BACK what Axl has said about them rejecting his song-writing during a particular period.

Because these facts cannot be denied or answered, so the best some can do is resort to "everybody knows" claims when nobody elected them the official representative of "everybody". :)

Both Axl and Duff say that they wished things could have been the way they were prior to the fame. Which was them being a tight unit, sitting around writing music together based on experiences they're going through together.

It's not that Axl didn't have his annoying traits, but how does one band member walk into the rest of the band and pretty much say "here's our new album, add your stuff to it" ? Sure, everyone writes and comes up with their own ideas, and then try to fit it all together, but by all accounts Slash wrote an album of guitar songs himself and was openly unhappy that the others didn't just go along with it.That seems to fit the "people trying to take over the band" thing Axl's alluded to over the years.

And why exactly is Velvet Revolver MIA right now? Scott left years ago, they've been looking for a singer for years. Maybe Axl wasn't the only problem? Maybe being in a full time band with Slash isn't the lovely experience it's made out to be?

"but by all accounts Slash wrote an album of guitar songs himself"

Because Axl wasn't singlehandedly responsible for NR, Estranged, My World, Dead Horse, etc and then there's all the Izzy songs on UYI. Duff was So Fine and GITR, etc.I love UYI and find the best moments vastly superior to anything on CD. The process changed. There was no storage space to mutually live and jam in. AFD II was never gonna happen, but GnR had become something else and everybody was responsible for it. The results, despite what Axl now claims were and are pretty remarkable by almost any standard. Post UYI , no one has even come close to an Estranged, NR, Locomotive, Coma, etc.

THey didn't get along, didn't agree on lots of things; That IS often the creative process behind lots of great art, but both seemed to tire of it eventually. Luckily we have what was recorded as a testament to what that chemistry yielded, even when it wasn't functioning as it once had. Anyone who saw GNR back in the day can tell you that despite what we know now was going on behind the scenes, the onstage chemistry was often AWESOME!

Axl and the hired Guns get along great? Slash and the Conspirators? Duff and Loaded? Cool, great, they are all happy? Fantastic. Does that all that happiness get us selfish fans the same quality of creative output. Not at all, IMO.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

it was a good interview but still captures him in quite a bitter mindset. i know he had all kinds of legal battles and shit to deal with over the years, but part of me also thinks the reason GN'R never truly moved forward as much as some of us would have hoped was because of axl's baggage and stuff he just couldn't let go. in this interview he still makes thinly veiled references to slash in a negative way...in fact, he rarely really discusses the open canvas of the future. no matter what the question is - in this case it was asking about NEW music, a perfect opportunity for him to avoid bringing up the past and staying on subject of the new band and the new members - he still always finds a way to trace it back to the origins of the band and then frame it in a way that paints him as being persecuted. meanwhile all the current gunners have expressed greatest interest in recording new music and it's a year later and nothing's happened.

i dunno, a year later maybe i'm just more bitter towards it because nothing's happened. as a fan it just gets a bit frustrating, especially when you see so many other bands from GN'R's era - like metallica, red hot chili peppers, etc. - continuing to do their thang despite bandmember switch-ups and plenty of internal strife (you don't see kiedis blaming frusciante for lack of new material, etc.).