Old GNR Songs That New Members Never Able to Replicate?

ChristmasFnatic

please show me two guitarists on this world that play with the same feel/emotions. :rolleyes:

I am talking about songs played by someone who did not write them....

NIghtrain

Buckethead reinvented that motherfucker. No other incarnation of the band tops the 2002 interpretation of this number.

That's what I mean. He may reinvented Nightrain, but to me his solo (I know most of you like it, and in any case it's mindblowing) doesn't fit this song. To me Nightrain is a purely hardrock tune. Buckethead in first place, and Finck and Ron, they all took/take away the songs spirit. It's not the same song anymore when someone shreds on it. Of course it's my personal opinion

My point exactly

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of them. Truly none of them.

And quite honestly they shouldn't strive to. It can't be done, no matter who you put in the band. The essence of many of those songs are the emotions and styles of the 5 guys that created them in that frame of mind at that time. You simply can not replicate a thing like that. Ever.

What they can do is invent a cover version or "interpretation" that does the original justice. In some cases they've succeeded, in other cases they continue to fail miserably. But that's also a matter of opinion I suppose...

But this is all the more reason that they should focus their attention to create their own songs with their own group and in their own style. They're bound to fit and work better. If they do this they can drop some of the poorly done old songs and be their own band more.

Edited by username

None of them. Truly none of them.

And quite honestly they shouldn't strive to. It can't be done, no matter who you put in the band. The essence of many of those songs are the emotions and styles of the 5 guys that created them in that frame of mind at that time. You simply can not replicate a thing like that. Ever.

What they can do is invent a cover version or "interpretation" that does the original justice. In some cases they've succeeded, in other cases they continue to fail miserably. But that's also a matter of opinion I suppose...

Very well said

I'm saying that nobody could play a song like the person that wrote it. i'm not only talking about this band, but i'm agree with you.

lol at marc canter worshipping slash, of course nobody is going to sound like slash. nobody's going to sound like somebody else.

Edited by Mindray11

I'm saying that nobody could play a song like the person that wrote it. i'm not only talking about this band, but i'm agree with you.

lol at marc canter worshipping slash, of course nobody is going to sound like slash. nobody's going to sound like somebody else.

True but there are some on this forum who think the current band play the old songs better then the old band who wrote them.....

Marc is not worshipping Slash mate he was responding to a poster who felt Slash's band is more in the spirit of old Guns and Marc was commenting on the strengths of both Axl and Slash. He also said Axl was a better frontman. Here is the thread and he mentioned that Axl's vocals and stage moves are better.

http://www.mygnrforu...f-the-new-band/

Read the whole short thread and you will see he is not playing favorites.......

Edited by classicrawker

I think Nightrain is probably the song they do best. All of the line-ups post 2001 have really killed it. As for the weakest, probably You Could Be Mine. It just sounds lifeless or something. Frank does it better than Brain did though as far as the drumming goes. It's also one of Axl's weakest vocally so that doesn't help it.

Marc Canter: With Slash you are going to get better guitar sound the way he intended them to sound. The thing about Slash is and a handful of other guitar players is, they sound a certain way no matter what guitar they are playing or what amp they are using. Slash once played at Canter's Kibitz Room and walked in with nothing picked up a new cheap Strat that was plugged into a shit little amp and all you heard was Slash the way he always sounds. Nothing wrong with the news guys in GNR but no one is going to sound like Slash.

I agree with Marc...The new band can play note for note copies but they can't play them with Slash's feel or emotions.

Bullshit...just go listen to Estranged

Your bullshit is bullshit. Slash's take is miles better than Ashba's. However, Bumblefoot did an awesome job with the fadein/fadeout solo, after that the nonsensical, boring, 1000-notes-per-second shredding kills it for me.

They dont sound like Slash because they do not want.

Rick, I get it, but they chose not to because they are not Slash. Any decent guitar player should be able to play Slash note for note perfectly. That's not the point though.

Marc doesnt know what he is talking about. There's no "you will get the best sound with that player" because it is all subjective. He probably doesnt know great guitarists then because they can emulate Slash's playing perfectly and easily and consistently.

Marc Canter: With Slash you are going to get better guitar sound the way he intended them to sound. The thing about Slash is and a handful of other guitar players is, they sound a certain way no matter what guitar they are playing or what amp they are using. Slash once played at Canter's Kibitz Room and walked in with nothing picked up a new cheap Strat that was plugged into a shit little amp and all you heard was Slash the way he always sounds. Nothing wrong with the news guys in GNR but no one is going to sound like Slash.

I agree with Marc...The new band can play note for note copies but they can't play them with Slash's feel or emotions.

Bullshit...just go listen to Estranged

Your bullshit is bullshit. Slash's take is miles better than Ashba's. However, Bumblefoot did an awesome job with the fadein/fadeout solo, after that the nonsensical, boring, 1000-notes-per-second shredding kills it for me.

Its all how whomever is listening to it and their personal taste (or agenda, predjudices)

I think Ron's playing kicks ass, but I enjoy petrucchi and malmsteen as well.. Ron adds another dimension to GNR.