Old GNR Songs That New Members Never Able to Replicate?

ChristmasFnatic

Bumblefoot....... no real talent, It seems he learned from tablature...no feel..or emotion in his playing ........ funny id never heard of his solo stuff (or him) before he joined Gnr.

The dickhead rhythm player with the big nose........why is he there? suss to me....

Ashba...........TAke the fucking hat off and be yourself!!!!! YOU ARE NOT GUNS N ROSES!!!! don't copy!!

Ferrer or Ferrerer on drums , Don't care.... A roadie that took the reins when they ran out of options......lol.

Dizzy..... "its a classic tune"..........got lucky.................. a mediocre keyboard player, lucky to have a credit on a song...

Pitman....lol, Payroll for tax write off....

Axl....... You are nothing without the name....... Luckily you own it,,,,,,, stop dragging it down,,,

Edited by megaguns1982

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bumblefoot....... no real talent, It seems he learned from tablature...no feel..or emotion in his playing ........ funny id never heard of his solo stuff (or him) before he joined Gnr.

The dickhead rhythm player with the big nose........why is he there? suss to me....

Ashba...........TAke the fucking hat off and be yourself!!!!! YOU ARE NOT GUNS N ROSES!!!! don't copy!!

Ferrer or Ferrerer on drums , Don't care.... A roadie that took the reins when they ran out of options......lol.

Dizzy..... "its a classic tune"..........got lucky.................. a mediocre keyboard player, lucky to have a credit on a song...

Axl....... You are nothing without the name....... Luckily you own it,,,,,,, stop dragging it down,,,

Nice. Next time, how about staying on topic?

1/ YCBM. (It has simply never sounded right under the new guys and Axl cannot sing it).

the Philly 2012 version is the best live performance I've ever seen of YCBM, especially as Axl's vox go. He could barely even handle it back n the day.

I understand your love for everything Axl does, but seriously he sings out of key there and gets out of breath often. He can't even sing the first verses properly. His screams reminisce a choking hen.

The bridge before the solo is hilariously out of key.

This is a great performance if you except the fact that he misses to sing a whole part. Shows that Axl is a mere shadow of his old self singing-wise.

This below is the one of the best performances of You Could Be Mine

Edited by izzydoezit

The new band (all versions) has always done the best "Nightrain" IMHO. Aside from that- it's a bit like comparing a 50 year-old John Elway at QB to the 25-30 year-old version. Of course the younger, more in its prime line-up takes the cake.

That said- the current line-up still puts on a fantastic show and could possibly produce some magic in studio if ever given a chance IMHO. So all hope's not lost by any means...

No new member can ever replicate the charm & thunder of the classic GNR lineup. Having said that, a lot depends on the vocalist. No matter how great KK Downing plays his guitar. If Rob Halford doesnt deliver the right vocals, the performance is generally average.

Especially if the vocalist is squeaking on stage. I would never blame the current lineup. A true musician can never truly replicate or imitate someone elses guitar work. Case in point, Kirk Hammet (Kill em all).

As far as purely musicianship goes, I sincerely believe that no performance has been consistent. Sometimes it was great (Nightrain Download), sometimes pathetic (Rock in Rio 2012).

1/ YCBM. (It has simply never sounded right under the new guys and Axl cannot sing it).

the Philly 2012 version is the best live performance I've ever seen of YCBM, especially as Axl's vox go. He could barely even handle it back n the day.

I understand your love for everything Axl does, but seriously he sings out of key there and gets out of breath often. He can't even sing the first verses properly. His screams reminisce a choking hen.

The bridge before the solo is hilariously out of key.

This is a great performance if you except the fact that he misses to sing a whole part. Shows that Axl is a mere shadow of his old self singing-wise.

This below is the one of the best performances of You Could Be Mine

Yeah, that's one of the best for sure. Current Axl will never surpass that.

So the mods are going to allow this kind of shit now?

So the mods are going to allow this kind of shit now?

Seems like it

I've seen newer lineups play "Nightrain" well but nothing beats the way the Appetite lineup did it, particularly with Slash's guitar work there.

"Welcome to the Jungle" is another song I've seen done well (2006, for example), but the current lineup butchers it. Or should I say Ashba? The intro riff is terrible.

Overall I agree with the majority here. "You Could Be Mine" for sure. "Brownstone" doesn't have the same swing to it. Never has without Popcorn.

"Sweet Child" never sounds quite right.

"November Rain" ... no one can touch that iconic song.

"Paradise City" too.

I've seen newer lineups play "Nightrain" well but nothing beats the way the Appetite lineup did it, particularly with Slash's guitar work there.

"Welcome to the Jungle" is another song I've seen done well (2006, for example), but the current lineup butchers it. Or should I say Ashba? The intro riff is terrible.

Overall I agree with the majority here. "You Could Be Mine" for sure. "Brownstone" doesn't have the same swing to it. Never has without Popcorn.

"Sweet Child" never sounds quite right.

"November Rain" ... no one can touch that iconic song.

"Paradise City" too.

No one can replicate NR especially the first solo. Even Finck's 2002 solo. (Check boston)

By old I mean hits til around UYI era.

I know different guitarists, etc. have their own style, but which songs in your opinion never sounded the same/lost its "soul"? That not even the much beloved Buckethead can never replicate?

Oh and Im not just talking about the guitars, but drums, bass... vocals?

none

what a "person"

What do you people mean by "they cant play"? They can play any of the old songs easily. They chose not to go to that dirty 80's sound which is really nice. They can pull much harder songs like Shackler's easily so they obviously can play the old material. If you dont like, cool, but saying that musicians like Tommy, Ron and Rich cant play Nightrain or Sweet Child is completely stupid and false.

What do you people mean by "they cant play"? They can play any of the old songs easily. They chose not to go to that dirty 80's sound which is really nice. They can pull much harder songs like Shackler's easily so they obviously can play the old material. If you dont like, cool, but saying that musicians like Tommy, Ron and Rich cant play Nightrain or Sweet Child is completely stupid and false.

The topic wasn't "what songs can the new band not play?", it was what can't they replicate.

IMO, Brownstone didn't sound the same with Sorum playing it, much like Sweet Child isn't the same with Robin or DJ playing it, y'know?

Marc Canter: With Slash you are going to get better guitar sound the way he intended them to sound. The thing about Slash is and a handful of other guitar players is, they sound a certain way no matter what guitar they are playing or what amp they are using. Slash once played at Canter's Kibitz Room and walked in with nothing picked up a new cheap Strat that was plugged into a shit little amp and all you heard was Slash the way he always sounds. Nothing wrong with the news guys in GNR but no one is going to sound like Slash.

I agree with Marc...The new band can play note for note copies but they can't play them with Slash's feel or emotions.

Marc Canter: With Slash you are going to get better guitar sound the way he intended them to sound. The thing about Slash is and a handful of other guitar players is, they sound a certain way no matter what guitar they are playing or what amp they are using. Slash once played at Canter's Kibitz Room and walked in with nothing picked up a new cheap Strat that was plugged into a shit little amp and all you heard was Slash the way he always sounds. Nothing wrong with the news guys in GNR but no one is going to sound like Slash.

I agree with Marc...The new band can play note for note copies but they can't play them with Slash's feel or emotions.

Bullshit...just go listen to Estranged

Bullshit...just go listen to Estranged

I have and I still agree with Marc..........Just like I don't think Slash could play the CHiDem songs with the same emotion as Bucket or Robin put into them...

I understand your love for everything Axl does

:rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

NIghtrain

Buckethead reinvented that motherfucker. No other incarnation of the band tops the 2002 interpretation of this number.

That's what I mean. He may reinvented Nightrain, but to me his solo (I know most of you like it, and in any case it's mindblowing) doesn't fit this song. To me Nightrain is a purely hardrock tune. Buckethead in first place, and Finck and Ron, they all took/take away the songs spirit. It's not the same song anymore when someone shreds on it. Of course it's my personal opinion