Old GNR Songs That New Members Never Able to Replicate?

ChristmasFnatic

By old I mean hits til around UYI era.

I know different guitarists, etc. have their own style, but which songs in your opinion never sounded the same/lost its "soul"? That not even the much beloved Buckethead can never replicate?

Oh and Im not just talking about the guitars, but drums, bass... vocals?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NIghtrain

All incarnations of the post-Slash band have owned the fuck out of Nightrain.

Probably the obvious one, but Sweet Child comes to mind instantly. Other than that, the only song I can think of is Brownstone. Watch any versions from the Appetite era... Even the Illusions line-up didn't quite have the swagger that the Appetite line-up gave that song.

Rocket Queen in it's current state is the best I've heard out of all the line-ups. Ashba really gives it a kick that just improves the song more so than the other band line-ups that performed it live. The 2001/2 version was dire though, it was played too quickly and Axl wasn't able to match it's speed. In all, the current band play all the material fantastically, it's only Axl that fucks up occasionally that doesn't make songs as good as what they can be.

Rocket Queen in it's current state is the best I've heard out of all the line-ups. Ashba really gives it a kick that just improves the song more so than the other band line-ups that performed it live. The 2001/2 version was dire though, it was played too quickly and Axl wasn't able to match it's speed. In all, the current band play all the material fantastically, it's only Axl that fucks up occasionally that doesn't make songs as good as what they can be.

I agree. It's a moot point. No matter how good this current band do, but if the vocals aren't there, or are sub-par... well you can't blame the rest of the band. es, nothing is complete without Axl who can't replicate anything from days gone by. Improvisation, or putting your own/different spin on the actual music is expected in a live show, even planned. I'm not expecting replication, maybe it could be done or not but not without axl

Tommy's Bass on RQ definate gives this new band a way heavier vibe on the song. Unfortunately it's all up to Axl.

Honestly they'll never be able to replicate them. It just is too much going on. Too many guitars, synth, Axl's voice etc. But they sure can put on a hell of a show :)

the only thing I can think of is the vocals on almost any of the old songs.... and that DJ would probably fuck most things up.... but Fortus, Ron and Tommy would be able to play anything by the old band. (don't know about Frank but he would probably be able to keep up with it)

1/ YCBM. (It has simply never sounded right under the new guys and Axl cannot sing it).

2/ Patience (they always make a dog's dinner of it - always: buffed notes, missing verses, miscued vocals)

3/ Brownstone (Needs the Adler swagger).

4/ Nightrain (Ture, Bucket did some good stuff but nothing can beat the Appetite band on this song)

Edited by DieselDaisy

I think I'd agree with Brownstone for sure. Always seems lacking when I hear/see the new band do it.

Same goes for the performance energy of Nightrain.

I love te 2002/2006 versions of KOHD more though. WAY more, actually. Different beast though, since it wasn't theirs to begin with.

Edited by DaneisKing1389

the only thing I can think of is the vocals on almost any of the old songs.... and that DJ would probably fuck most things up.... but Fortus, Ron and Tommy would be able to play anything by the old band. (don't know about Frank but he would probably be able to keep up with it)

Yeah definitely this.