Official Rap/Hip Hop/R&B thread

SunnyDRE

Guest Len B'stard

Nothing beats Old School Hip Hop, the sort of pre-solidly defined, Afrikka Bambaataa era of hip hop where the shit was totally free of like...like the format was being established and in that gestative period some beautiful music came out. These are the best times for musical genres, before the formats been established and the people are just kinda feeling around and instead of there being like, a list of whats OK to use and whats not it's just people pulling shit from all aspects of their memory and chucking it in and EVERYBODYS welcome cuz people are just glad to have people involved and joining in from all different sides, i mean Christ, early hip hop you got samples from James Brown and Kraftwerk and Ennio Morricone westerns and fuckin' Apache by The Shadows, which is fuckin' more known in the hip hop community now than it is by your average rock n roll fan when The Shadows were a fairly big fuckin' band, around these parts anyways.

Thats the trick i think, to be constantly in that free from predudice, gestatitive state, where you're just feeling around in the dark and putting together music that essentially has no prescedent, something that Public Image Limited achived admirably for their first four albums until Uncle Lydon felt like mucking around with formats, thats why each of those PiL albums was like, so indescribable but they lead off to being key influences in a handful of genres that came later cuz a lot of people took cues from it and went from there whereas PiL weren't really interested in making an industry of themselves based on a particular style, they just came out with harder weirder, funkier shit.

Hip Hop was like that early on, until the format sunk in and you had like, the golden age of big daddy kane and kool g rap and, y'know, you got the MC up front and the DJ does his little thing and the focus shifts from scratchin' to rhymes and hey presto, you got modern hip hop and thats beautiful too but Christ, what is was in those early days was something else, it was like...it was disco, it was funky, it could rock, it was electronic too, it was just everything rolled up into this futuristic sounding...thing that yet and still was totally grounded in the past.

I always liked Sir Mix a lot.

The first G Unit album was gangster.

You just lost all cred homes.

Was ripping Tougher than Leather by Run DMC and Black Sunday by Cypress Hill today. Never listened to the former before but I think its up there with Raising Hell for sure.

I lost my cred a long, long time ago. In a galaxy far far away.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I feel as if rap is in its 80's Hair Metal stage. It needs a grunge type makeover. Hell, when was the last time a rapper was even shot at?

give it a week and im sure rick ross will claim he got shot

Suge Knight needs to dangle that guy off of a hotel balcony.

Edited by Randy Lahey

• 3 weeks later...

I feel as if rap is in its 80's Hair Metal stage. It needs a grunge type makeover. Hell, when was the last time a rapper was even shot at?

give it a week and im sure rick ross will claim he got shot

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2013/01/who-shot-rick-ross-and-his-rolls-royce/61475/

Edited by Jakey Styley

• 3 weeks later...