Do you count calories?

arnold layne

Fuck off. Some of us are extremely vain and obsessive.By the way MyFitnessPal helps me out.

I think it's great that you are paying attention to what you eat. If you get into good diet habits now, it will be easier to adjust when your metabolism slows way down after age 30.

I hope you're right! If that's the case then I mysteriously slipped through the cracks on that one because I'm less than a year off 40 but I weigh less now than I did at 30 and I haven't counted a calorie or monitored what I eat since I was 22. :awesomeface:

Actually, I think the correct age is 40. From what I've heard it's around about 40 when people encounter the 'middle age spread'.

Trust me, there is no guaranteed 'middle age spread' with everyone. I'm older than you and I can wear the same size jeans I wore in high school, a size 6 and I'm 5'9" tall. I'm the same size I was then. I can tell by your photos on facebook that you don't have the build nor frame to get the the dreaded 'middle age spread' either.

• Like 1

It must be terrible to count calories or carbohydrates. I have been doing the 5:2 fast diet for almost one year now, and that's the only diet that works for me. Five days in the week, I can eat and drink what I want, and two days only 500 calories. So that's coffee, water, a salad or soup, an omelet or a stir fry of vegetables and chicken.

That must be horrendous if you eat out?

You get used to it when you have no choice. It's been 12 or 13 years, so I can make a fairly good estimate and base insulin doses around that.

That's one of the hardest parts of Type 1 Diabeetus... you count the carbs slightly wrong, or you do a little bit more activity that day, it's hot outside or you didn't wash your hands before doing a finger-prick... there are a billion tiny variables to think about and one unit of insulin is the difference between a good blood sugar level and a shitty one.

I don't count calories.

I do have to count and take note of every single gram of carbohydrate that I consume at each meal though. It gets pretty tedious.

You don't need to do all that for me, sexy admin <3

I'm working on the 8-pack. It's close. Check your snaps. :kiss:

Guest Len B'stard

I'm on the beast mode diet.

It's the one where you train like a beast for about an hour/90 minutes five days a week so you can eat whatever you feel like.

See now that sounds like my idea of how you go about doing that shit :)

It's the one where you train like a beast for about an hour/90 minutes five days a week so you can eat whatever you feel like.

See now that sounds like my idea of how you go about doing that shit :)

What for? This is a world where you can buy a damn good couch for dirt cheap and just make love to it with your ass all day long while you watch tv, and smoke beer. Huntin' time is over. I just want to eat, sleep, and pleasure myself with food, sex, music, and tv.

Edited by Rovim

That's better, I know, problem is I'm too lazy to do that. I do try to work out regularly, though, but nowhere near an hour a day, let alone 90 minutes and like a beast.

I don't count calories.

I do have to count and take note of every single gram of carbohydrate that I consume at each meal though. It gets pretty tedious.

That sucks, and it's kinda cruel because you're of Italian origin, right? No one with Italian blood should ever have to have a problem with carbs. They invented the best of it.

I've never thought about carbs and my consumption of them until now. For breakfast I had 2 crumpets with butter and honey. Lunch was a BLT on ciabatta and a glass of Tempranillo. Dinner was left over pizza from last night and a glass of Cab Sauv. I think I basically eat carbs with every meal (lots of pasta for dinner and sourdough bread at breakfast). I also used to eat heaps of sugar from lollies, chocolate, biscuits (cookies for the yanks) and ice cream but I've gone right off that in the last 2 years. I have the odd piece of chocolate here and there and one or two Scotch Fingers (the best Aussie biscuit/cookie there is, for those outside Oz) with my morning coffee but other than that I barely eat any sugary foods anymore. I just don't feel like it and find it highly processed. Its like a switch just flicked in an instant and turned off my sweet tooth. The most sugary thing I consume now would be wine. I love my wine and I love coffee in the morning with 2 sugars. They are my vices.

Edit: just read your carb issue is for diabetes. That's even crueler to inflict that on a person of Italian origin. Soooo fucking cruel. There is no god, if he would do that to an Italian. :(

Edited by Redhead74

I'm on the good genes diet. It's the one where you do fuck all exercise (except walk the dog when the opportunity arises) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and you can eat whatever you feel like.

Red you're skinny. You should eat like a fat cunt because you can. Seriously if I were you I'd snack on a bucket of KFC for the fuck of it.

I actually don't like KFC, except for their chicken fillet burgers. I'm much more of a chips person. I fucking love chips. Hot chips, with mayonnaise, or even better, proper Dutch fritsaus. :awesomeface: I also love pizza. Good pizza is one of the greatest products of humanity. All bow down now to the Italians. :D Besides those two things, I don't care all that much for food. Except when I've had too many chips and pizza in summer and then I need salad. Greens are good. They balance everything out and are rather tasty.

I'm on the good genes diet. It's the one where you do fuck all exercise (except walk the dog when the opportunity arises) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and you can eat whatever you feel like.

You probably have a lower caloric intake than McCoy. :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

I don't count calories.

Edit: just read your carb issue is for diabetes. That's even crueler to inflict that on a person of Italian origin. Soooo fucking cruel. There is no god, if he would do that to an Italian. :(

I bet thats cheered him up no end :lol:

You probably have a lower caloric intake than McCoy. :lol:

Really? I'm curious now. I'm gonna try and do a calorie count on what I ate today.

McCoy is borderline anorexic so I'm not sure about your claim. <_<

Most people who give credit to their genes/metabolism usually do so because they tend to eat, for example, a large meal like a pizza fairly often, and find it miraculous that they don't gain any weight. A large pizza isn't really that much if it's all you've eaten in an entire day.

Most people who give credit to their genes/metabolism usually do so because they tend to eat, for example, a large meal like a pizza fairly often, and find it miraculous that they don't gain any weight. A large pizza isn't really that much if it's all you've eaten in an entire day.

I downloaded an app and this is what it came up with. I accidentally put lunch in with breakfast which is why lunch has '0'. Of course this is average because I guessed the quantities of things like butter ad mayonnaise in teaspoons and whether the bacon on my sandwich was trimmed of fat or not (I guessed not).

1908ds.jpg

It's not all bad. Just a pain in the ass. :lol:

Agree. I just put all my days food intake into a calorie counting app and it was indeed tedious. Although I suspect that if my health was at risk I would deem it tolerable, though still a pain in the ass. Do you get used to it and find you're pretty much able to gauge when you reach your limit, or is it that crucial that you need to weigh and count every gram?

Also, do you find yourself avoiding carbs because you have to count them? I suspect that if I had to put every single thing I ate into that calorie app I would probably eat about half of what I do.

It's not all bad. Just a pain in the ass. :lol:

Agree. I just put all my days food intake into a calorie counting app and it was indeed tedious. Although I suspect that if my health was at risk I would deem it tolerable, though still a pain in the ass. Do you get used to it and find you're pretty much able to gauge when you reach your limit, or is it that crucial that you need to weigh and count every gram?

Also, do you find yourself avoiding carbs because you have to count them? I suspect that if I had to put every single thing I ate into that calorie app I would probably eat about half of what I do.

I do it all on sight (I had a little book when I was a kid, don't need it anymore). I look at a bowl of whatever I'm eating and count it into carbohydrate portions. 15g of carbs = 1 portion. For every portion, I take 2.5 units of insulin + sometimes some extra to compensate if my sugar levels are high before a meal.

For people that don't know what T1 diabetes is, it's where your immune system attacks your pancreas so your body stops producing insulin altogether (different from T2 which is about lifestyle).

Your body needs insulin to process carbohydrates. Too little (or no) insulin leads to high blood sugar levels which will eventually kill you. Too much insulin (common problem when you're injecting it) leads to low blood sugar levels which can also be very dangerous, depending on where you are at the time. Note: driving is a bad time for this to happen.

To give you an idea, there 100 units in only 1ml of insulin - I'm only injecting a tiny amount each time... when you're talking those quantities, it's virtually impossible to get exactly right all the time. Highs / lows are just a fact of life - the aim is to try and keep things as stable as possible. You do that by testing your blood frequently, execising and avoiding foods that "spike" sugar levels.

• Like 1