Do you count calories?

arnold layne

Not at all. The comma is essential. It refers to a pause, which is entirely necessary as it is how you would express that sentence verbally. :P

I know it refers to a pause. I'm saying the pause and the need to break his sentence up is superfluous.

No, its not at all. That's correct punctuation. Didn't they teach you that at school?

Geez, the education standards are really dropping with every generation.

Use a comma to set off parenthetical elements, as in "The Founders Bridge, which spans the Connecticut River, is falling down." By "parenthetical element," we mean a part of a sentence that can be removed without changing the essential meaning of that sentence. The parenthetical element is sometimes called "added information." This is the most difficult rule in punctuation because it is sometimes unclear what is "added" or "parenthetical" and what is essential to the meaning of a sentence.

In BS' post, the use of the word 'bitch' to describe the subject was separate to the essential meaning of his sentence where he said he could count the number of days to suspend said subject's ass. Interesting to note that the above rule in punctuation is the most difficult rule because it is sometimes unclear what is parenthetical or added.

Not at all. The comma is essential. It refers to a pause, which is entirely necessary as it is how you would express that sentence verbally. :P

I know it refers to a pause. I'm saying the pause and the need to break his sentence up is superfluous.

No, its not at all. That's correct punctuation. Didn't they teach you that at school?

Geez, the education standards are really dropping with every generation.

Use a comma to set off parenthetical elements, as in "The Founders Bridge, which spans the Connecticut River, is falling down." By "parenthetical element," we mean a part of a sentence that can be removed without changing the essential meaning of that sentence. The parenthetical element is sometimes called "added information." This is the most difficult rule in punctuation because it is sometimes unclear what is "added" or "parenthetical" and what is essential to the meaning of a sentence.

In BS' post, the use of the word 'bitch' to describe the subject was separate to the essential meaning of his sentence where he said he could count the number of days to suspend said subject's ass. Interesting to note that the above rule in punctuation is the most difficult rule because it is sometimes unclear what is parenthetical or added.

I know my laws of grammar, dear. I am not that stupid.

I am merely of the personal opinion that the comma, in Mr BS' sentence, was completely and wholly unnecessary.

Fun fact: commas save lives!

Let's eat Mum vs Let's eat, Mum.

Guest Len B'stard

To me right, there's a few simple pleasures in life without which, honestly, i'd rather fuckin' pack it in. Eating is one of those. I mean i don't do it excessively as such, like yesterday i ate a large cod and chips and two chicken burgers, all around midday, with nothing in the morning or at night. So i guess thats kinda excessive as one meal goes but...y'know, when i feel like fuckin' stuffin' myself i've stuff myself, i don't think i could live and be that uptight, just fuckin' eat what you like and if it makes you fat and you don't like it, exercise and burn it off, it's fuckin' simple, what do i wannabe fuckin' counting calories for, what do i give a shit about that for?

Last month I ate in a Japanese restaurant deep fried vanilla ice cream (with cream on top and a garnish of chocolate sauce). If anyone has had deep fried ice cream it is truly the pudding of the gods. You get this contrast in both heat and texture between, the hot tempura batter, and, the ice cream nestling inside. Anyhow, back to the point, I could not even begin to estimate the calories in the thing; I am simply unwilling to try.

When directly referring to someone a comma is necessary. ie

Mike, we're going to the store.

We're going to the store, Mike.

This. Since he's calling him a bitch just replace Mike in the above example with bitch. It should be separated by a comma.

Think of it as the difference between, "We're going to eat grandpa" and "We're going to eat, grandpa." You don't want to mix those two up. :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

Do one of them competitions and film it and bung it on here! Y'know those 'eat an entire cow in an hour and you get a free t shirt so you look like a cunt' ones :lol: