Keep on thinking "Chinese Democracy" was a flop

GonzoThesaurus

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Snip.)

So because we're not precisely aware of record exec's expectations, there is no way we can assess Chinese Democracy?

Precisely? Are we even imprecicely aware of it? We vaguely know the total production costs but not whether the label expected all of those costs recuperated at the time of release.

In that case, maybe Skyfall flopped? By your criteria, we cannot safely judge anything without precise executive intel. So who's to say MGM isn't crying over the Bond film only taking in $900+ million worldwide box office?

I haven't said we need precise numbers to have an inkling of how something performed. That is your straw man.

wow, soulmonster's posts are filled with crap. the guy claims he considers CD mediocre, but i think he's just trying to disguise his crazy love for axl rose. that's just fanatism, in its most pure form.

This is basically what I have been saying in this thread:

- We can't know for sure whether CD flopped or not because we have no way of knowing what the expectations were, perhaps the label is happy with the overall, global sale as of today.

- Selling 3 million units is great in this day and age.

- I consider CD to be a mediocre album with some fantastic songs and some awful songs.

Feel free to point out why any of these statements are "crap" or just continue to make a fool of yourself. Bonus point for arguing for why any of these claims (or any other claims I have ever made) suggests I "love axl rose". Now is your time to shine, maynard, or to just remain an irrelevant dilettante.

I think some may consider it a flop is how the entire process went down. When UYI came out, the hype was big, the wait was long, but it sold like crazt day one. Their was the video for YCBM, all sorts of songs were played on the radeo, etc. It didnt hurt that they were probably the biggest band at that time either. Even the SI album saw 2 songs (it aint fun, and hair of the dog) get radio play. Hair of the dog is still played today more than any "hit" from CD. When CD came out, only die hard Axl lovers, and us old timers who just wanted to hear some Axl coudnt wait. It my mind, it would do very well and make the new band popular. It kind of came and went with no major fan fare. I see the numbers of albums sold, etc, but most of them counted because best buy bought them. A few songs got radio play for a few months, but its back to the original songs from the original band. Even Axl still relies on the songs from his old band while touring. Sure, most of us on these boards love CD, but most outside the die hards dont. It was like people waited for ever to hear it, then were like, ok, lets hear PC,, and SCOM, those are gnr songs. there will never be a day 20 years from now, that TWAT is heard playing at a sports game, etc. So, the long winded answer is: for a few die hards that would have bought an album for happy birthday sand 12 differnent ways (me included), CD was great. But in the real world, it was mediocre at best