Do you think any of the bandmates have confronted Axl about lack of new material/recording/studio time?

Towelie

Do you think any of the current bandmates would feel comfortable enough with Axl to possibly confront him either individually or collectively about the lack of writing/recording new music?

Okay, we all know Axl calls the shots and chances are the Lebeis family have a greater say over the future plans of GNR than any of the actual bandmates bar (or possibly including) Axl. But are the likes of Ron, DJ and Tommy really just content to endlessly tour the old material for a quick and easy paycheck?

Maybe I'm gulliable or naive, but I have a hard time believing these guys are happy with the current groundhog day status of the band. Sure, it's probably the best gig these guys are ever going to get and they're probably paid handsomely, but is that really enough for them? Do they care about Guns N Roses as a band or are they just not that invested?

At least with the likes of Buckethead and Finck you got the impression they saw their roles in GNR as more than merely being a part of a touring nostalgia act. Bucket left the band due to his frustrations at Axl's lack of productivity, which at the very least, shows that he cared.

Does Ron or DJ care that much? Or are they so afraid of Axl and his mafia-esque inner circle that they don't want to rock the boat?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone in the band has the balls to confront Axl..they'd get fired otherwise, and for every single member of this lineup of GNR, being in the band "Guns N Roses" is the peak of their music careers, whether people agree with this band deserving of the name GNR or not..

Let's not kid ourselves, these guys are here for the payday. They really don't care, nor do they have the balls to question their boss' decisions.

Tommy Stinson, Bumblefoot, Robin Finck, and Buckethead have all given Axl shit. Notice how some of those guys aren't in the band anymore.

Let's not kid ourselves, these guys are here for the payday. They really don't care, nor do they have the balls to question their boss' decisions.

Tommy Stinson, Bumblefoot, Robin Finck, and Buckethead have all given Axl shit. Notice how some of those guys aren't in the band anymore.

Axl tried to get Bucket back in the band until 2006, and Robin left and came back, and then left again cause he wanted to. He also played Better with Axl this year live.

So I don't see why I should notice that. It's not relevant to this thread imo.

Not like Axl got rid of them cause they said something.

Edited by Rovim

What's your point exactly? Robin left because he has opportunities in another big name band and Bucket is talented enough to have his own small cult following. Tommy and BBF are both lazy musicians with no real prospects, unless The Replacements were to reunite. Even if BBF occasionally throws his twiiter tantrums, he must not be all that bothered or he would leave. He knows the alternative to being a yes-man pawn in NuGNR is playing in bars with $5 covers. That isn't opinion, it's a statement of fact. His guitar playing is sub-par, corny, and forgettable. Tommy is old and a drunk. They can be subserviant yes-man in the most famous GNR tribute band or play in their local area bars. What do they do during NuGNR's down-time? Play local bars.

I have more respect for Tommy than I do BBF because at least Tommy normally keeps his mouth shut. At least a couple times per year, BBF makes it known that he isn't happy with the NuGNR situation, but he's desperate enough for the payday to not do anything about it.

Edited by bringbackadler

Axl tried to get Bucket back in the band until 2006, and Robin left and came back, and then left again cause he wanted to, probably so he could tour. He also played Better with Axl live.

You mean aside from how it's proof that Axl doesn't run the band like a dictatorship?

Axl tried to get Bucket back in the band until 2006, and Robin left and came back, and then left again cause he wanted to, probably so he could tour. He also played Better with Axl live.

You mean aside from how it's proof that Axl doesn't run the band like a dictatorship?

You think Axl is the only case where a single band member calls the shots? Guns didn't operate this way in the old days, but it is now, and you had many, many years to accept that.

There are so many other bands that don't make decisions based on democracy, and you were implying something that is just not true.

Bucket and Robin which are 'some of those guys that aren't in the band anymore' left, Axl didn't fire them because they've complained about something, which was kinda the topic of this thread. You tried to make something stick and I disagreed.

Edited by Rovim

I'm sure they've asked him what he's been up to, but that's not confronting. I'm sure however they find out about rehearsals and tours, that's how they'll find out about going in the studio.

They understand it was hard enough after 14 years to get Chinese Democracy out.

Do you think any of the current bandmates would feel comfortable enough with Axl to possibly confront him either individually or collectively about the lack of writing/recording new music?

Okay, we all know Axl calls the shots and chances are the Lebeis family have a greater say over the future plans of GNR than any of the actual bandmates bar (or possibly including) Axl. But are the likes of Ron, DJ and Tommy really just content to endlessly tour the old material for a quick and easy paycheck?

Maybe I'm gulliable or naive, but I have a hard time believing these guys are happy with the current groundhog day status of the band. Sure, it's probably the best gig these guys are ever going to get and they're probably paid handsomely, but is that really enough for them? Do they care about Guns N Roses as a band or are they just not that invested?

At least with the likes of Buckethead and Finck you got the impression they saw their roles in GNR as more than merely being a part of a touring nostalgia act. Bucket left the band due to his frustrations at Axl's lack of productivity, which at the very least, shows that he cared.

Does Ron or DJ care that much? Or are they so afraid of Axl and his mafia-esque inner circle that they don't want to rock the boat?

I'd Say Tommy and Bumblefoot would have directly confronted Axl ,THey are not the type of personality to bottle things up but they may as well be "beating a dead horse" . Djashba is trying to massage Axls ego by telling him how great his unreleased songs are, in the hope that his attitude will change. W'ont work. Axl is an ego eccentric ultra paranoid personality who thinks the whole world is against him. His grip on reality isn't very strong .He probably thinks the traffic lights are out ta get him ! and that Slash could give a fuck what he does or does not do!

THe guy has has been touring the songs off "Chinese Democracy" for 11 years now.. He doesn't have the balls or the guts or the heart anymore to try something new / change/ or be a daring and creative force again !!

Edited by billie

Regardless of whether they are willing to confront Axl or not, I don't think there's any denying that they, at minimum, look like a tough band.

Listen , They are getting the biggest pay checks of their lives. I'm sure they would like to be playing new songs, but when you are dealing with a flakey paranoid ego maniac like Axl... THe fact that Axl isn't in that photo speaks volumes...!!!!

Regardless of whether they are willing to confront Axl or not, I don't think there's any denying that they, at minimum, look like a tough band.

Listen , They are getting the biggest pay checks of their lives. I'm sure they would like to be playing new songs, but when you are dealing with a flakey paranoid ego maniac like Axl... THe fact that Axl isn't in that photo speaks volumes...!!!!

To be perfectly honest, I'm not the least bit surprised that Axl isn't recording with these guys. Look through my posts over the past couple of years. I said over and over that there was no way that he was recording with them. They're necessary for Axl to be able to cash-grab the classics. Beyond that, Axl's probably like BBF/Ashba/Frank who? I wouldn't even be surprised if they didn't have his direct number.

Edited by bringbackadler

382101_497289796959823_2127371907_n.jpg

Listen , They are getting the biggest pay checks of their lives. I'm sure they would like to be playing new songs, but when you are dealing with a flakey paranoid ego maniac like Axl., you just got to deal with it until you feel the need to jump the sinking ship.. THe fact that Axl isn't in "the band" photo speaks volumes...!!!!

Edited by billie