The Official Black Sabbath '13'/Tour Thread

bran

End Of The Beginning sounds very generic and paint by numbers.

I'm starting to think Rick Rubin was so desperate to try to re-create the first Sabbath album that he forgot to tell them they needed to write a hook.....

exactly.

every song so far sounds like they are trying to do the title track off their debut. it isnt horrible, but it is just boring. the first time i listened to the end of the beginning i couldnt even get through the song and shut it off halfway through.

sabbath outside of master of reality never made pure doom metal during the ozzy era. now they are trying to be a full on doom band and there are dozens of bands that do it better, it is like rick rubin gave them a shit ton of doom album told them to play like that but if it was 1970 not 2013.

Edited by bran

I'm starting to think Rick Rubin was so desperate to try to re-create the first Sabbath album that he forgot to tell them they needed to write a hook.....

exactly.

every song so far sounds like they are trying to do the title track off their debut. it isnt horrible, but it is just boring. the first time i listened to the end of the beginning i couldnt even get through the song and shut it off halfway through.

sabbath outside of master of reality never made pure doom metal during the ozzy era. now they are trying to be a full on doom band and there are dozens of bands that do it better, it is like rick rubin gave them a shit ton of doom album told them to play like that but if it was 1970 not 2013.

Spot on. I like what I'm hearing so far, but I wish it had more of that funky bluesy sound that the original Sabbath had.

exactly.

Spot on. I like what I'm hearing so far, but I wish it had more of that funky bluesy sound that the original Sabbath had.

yeah exactly. to me it is as if they got into the " we must sound doom" mindset, even though sabbath laid the ground work and made the prototype doom album in master of reality, they were more of a heavy blues band, that would experiment and change from song to song, album to album. now it seems they are playing it safe, i will hold full judgement until i hear the whole album, some songs are said to be somewhat different than the first 2.

the song loner is pretty good, really breaks the mold of the first 2 tracks, more hard rock/bluesy vibe to it. the lyrics are meh, but ozzy doesnt sounds so boring on this track. onto zeitgeist

zeitgeist sounds like planet caravan sort of....

expecting heavy riff to kick in soon

no heavy riff but some cool bluesy solo by iommi

age of reason..... best song on album so far IMO, really cool riffs and a beast of a solo, right up there with lonely is the word....

live forever is in the meh zone, better than god is dead? and end of the beginning. has a real cool mid tempo riff, slows down in the chorus which is catchy as hell.

the ending of the song is quite bluesy, and pretty up tempo, just repeats the chorus just at higher tempo.

onto damaged soul

Edited by bran

Am I iTunes illiterate or what? I can't seem to figure out how to listen to these tracks.

download itunes, it will say visit itunes store, and in the top right corner it will say black sabbath 13 listen free streaming

damaged soul. cool riff in the beginning really dirty bluesy sounding, similar to something saint vitus would play. the rest of the song is just boring to be honest, really cool bass parts by geezer. the lyrics are the weakest part of the album IMO.

onto the final track. robotic ozzy makes his debut. this song contains some of the best drumwork on the album, the song itself, again not bad not great.

i want to listen to the album a few more times, but on first listen 6/10

Edited by bran