The Axl Rose Asshole/egomaniac Myth debunked

truadmirer

I think when people talk about who's the smartest from the old lineup they forget about Duff who to me is the most together and level headed of them all. :shrugs:

Duff is definitely the most educated today, but at the time he was still stupid enough to sign away the name so he is automatically disqualified. :shrugs:

Izzy might give Axl a run though. He simply said fuck it and walked away without regretting it. He never let Axl give him a dicking.

Axl always came across to me as a pseudo-intellectual. Talks a good game, uses a stream of big words to make himself sound smarter than he is, thinks he's right about everything, says a lot without really saying much.

Of course. But remember that we're really just talking about who was the smartest among a group of not so smart, albeit supremely talented, rock musicians.

• Like 1

Axl always came across to me as a pseudo-intellectual. Talks a good game, uses a stream of big words to make himself sound smarter than he is, thinks he's right about everything, says a lot without really saying much.

Of course. But remember that we're really just talking about who was the smartest among a group of not so smart, albeit supremely talented, rock musicians.

Yes, but thinking you're smart doesn't make you smart.

Bullshit! Works for me. :shrugs:

• Like 1

Bullshit! Works for me. :shrugs:

Haha! Damn Smooth is one of the wittiest people here :lol:

Goddamnit, Patience. Do you want me to just say it? That's how this whole conversation started. I think Axl is kinda a dumb dumb. What's weird is that he's less like a stupid person and more like a 13 year old with above average intelligence for his age. Ultimately, the question is better posed as who is least dumb rather than who is smartest.

This is all Damn_Smooth's fault. I punned on "special" from a previous post in a one-liner I would have forgot in 5 minutes, and now this. Even Rita's here. :lol:

• Like 2

OK, guess I'm not so smart either. :lol:

I don't see any mentions here for Slash. Besides the whole signing over the name thing, which I see more as being naïve and trusting, mixed with a drug induced haze, I see him as actually being the brainiac of the old band. He's the guy who went to all the business meetings, and he's the guy who came up with the formula for percentages on the split. Axl had smart people on his side helping him to make decisions, that's why he's perceived as the "smart" one.

Goddamnit, Patience. Do you want me to just say it? That's how this whole conversation started. I think Axl is kinda a dumb dumb. What's weird is that he's less like a stupid person and more like a 13 year old with above average intelligence for his age. Ultimately, the question is better posed as who is least dumb rather than who is smartest.

This is all Damn_Smooth's fault. I punned on "special" from a previous post in a one-liner I would have forgot in 5 minutes, and now this. Even Rita's here. :lol:

I tend to have that effect. :shrugs:

This is exactly what I think. Few people with no education whatsoever might feel impressed by it but others can see through the bullshit and realize what it really is.

The fact that Axl fully supports Beta who keeps in contact with Warchild leads me to question how intelligent Axl really is.

The funny part about this forum is that a small group of Axl "fans" constantly complain about another small group being butthurt cupcake hater bitter ex-fans, etc and how we cause so much negativity on the board. But if you really look at it, if you look at who causes the most sh*t and arguments and to be honest, who makes the most "trolling" type topics, and who really makes fans of the band look terrible - it isn't the "haters", it's the group that includes Warchild and all her multiple accounts. I will be respectful and not mention the names of that group, but we all know who they are. They spend 30% of their time worshipping Axl's every move, 30% of their time insulting Slash, 30% of their time insulting other posters and then only 10% of their time having normal GnR discussions with people. Those guys are the ones who make GnR fans look crazy.

I personally am thankful that this forum allows people to have legitimate conversations about GnR. I'm thankful they allow people to talk about the good and the bad. You have to thank posters like Nosaj, P4A, username, Mags, Damn_Smooth, John Bonham and a few others for not letting this forum turn into a graveyard like HTGTH and the official band forum. I don't agree with those guys all the time, but at least they offer up legit opinions for discussion.

I've only been an Axl/GNR fan now for about a year and a half.

I totally came to love and respect everyone in the band, especially Axl. But over time, I have read some comments that has baffled me. I was absolutely flabergasted, Axl's good heart is very easy to see. He is also humble.

I just couldn't see why some negative comments on Axl were being made.

It really doesnt take much to see below the surface to what a really good guy he is.

From the beginning there was a lot of Jealousy against Axl primarily in both the media, and rock industry. Axl has often complained about this. As soon as they saw how successful Axl was with people, and that he had so much power with people, they went on the attack! People would literally riot on a whim over Axl!

He has also said that the more successful he got, the worse it became.

I looked, and tried to see where all of this negativity started :question:!

Would you believe, as hard as it is to believe, that THIS is the very incident where they first labeled the band dangerous, and especially Axl! They even blamed Axl, when he is clearly doing everything he can to help, the very opposite of what was reported in media! :anger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M125PLevphk

But why are some people in the public so easily brainwashed?

Axl has made some mistakes, like everyone has, but He is truly a good man deep down that doesn't deserve the negative things said of him.

You're overthinking all of this.

A big part of Axl's appeal early on was his hellraiser, rebellious image. That's also what made Appetite appealing, because there was an intriguing dichotomy between the aggression and sleaze and the tenderness and vulnerability (just look to SCOM or Rocket Queen, for example).

But Axl was young and certainly got a bit of an ego (as anyone would when they reach fame in their 20s) and as he grew larger in the public eye, he had people rooting for the tabloid downfall, which is always what happens. It's happening this generation with Bieber, who's doing tons of stupid stuff but also has a lot of outlets egging it on and savoring every misstep.

As Axl got older and more famous the 'hothead' image became less of a rebellious thing and more of a spoiled celeb thing, so people got turned off on it. It's just how it goes, it happens to a lot of celebrities. Axl was never really that insensitive or arrogant but he certainly had his moments, and I think any fan can attest to that. You don't have to make up excuses for him and try to claim that he was a misunderstood sweetheart all along - certainly his arrogance is part of what made his music interesting.

Lead singers have to be egomaniacs, but not to where it's crippling the band. Telling your fans to beat the shit out of someone in the audience isn't being an asshole?

Not when the assholes in the audience can't stop throwing objects at people on the stage, causing safety hazards! That in fact makes Axl honorable!

I totally came to love and respect everyone in the band, especially Axl. But over time, I have read some comments that has baffled me. I was absolutely flabergasted, Axl's good heart is very easy to see. He is also humble.

It really doesnt take much to see below the surface to what a really good guy he is.

From the beginning there was a lot of Jealousy against Axl primarily in both the media, and rock industry. Axl has often complained about this. As soon as they saw how successful Axl was with people, and that he had so much power with people, they went on the attack! People would literally riot on a whim over Axl!

Would you believe, as hard as it is to believe, that THIS is the very incident where they first labeled the band dangerous, and especially Axl! They even blamed Axl, when he is clearly doing everything he can to help, the very opposite of what was reported in media! :anger:

Axl has made some mistakes, like everyone has, but He is truly a good man deep down that doesn't deserve the negative things said of him.

WHat we have here is...an emerging Axl nutter... a true defender of the faith..a person who recognizes that Axl is the messiah and will lead the faithful masses back to the promised land. Woe unto you who proclaim to know what Axl himself has openly discussed and addressed.. for you will be severely mistaken in your opinion. let us Pray:

Oh father who art on Stage hollowed by thy scream.. thy deeds be done so we can have fun .. in both realitys and illusionsthat thou has layed out before me. Give us the stregnth to refrain from seeing you as HUMAN and let us not discuss the truths that you so desperately need us to deny. Let us be quick to rip the faces off of those that would detract from your awesomeness even if we have to beg cheat steal and lie. Let us take up your holy cause and banish all things Slash and the past so we MAY find favor in your anger and fury. Let us not whine let us not be disappointed that you no longer speak to us.. no longer write and record music that fills our dismal souls with soothing and provacative purpose. Please oh lord Axl.. let the masses hear your thunderous melody give unto us.. a sign that your still alive. Amen

*this blasphemy was sponsored by End the Spin productions.

Edited by rockerman

I can not open the link...

Sorry about that. You do know that Erin Everly, who was aggressive all along to Axl, was finally arrested for domestic violence on her spouse and child?

http://georgia.arrests.org/Arrests/Erin_Everly_6434460/

Edited by truadmirer
  • Like 1

WHat we have here is...an emerging Axl nutter... a true defender of the faith..a person who recognizes that Axl is the messiah and will lead the faithful masses back to the promised land. Woe unto you who proclaim to know what Axl himself has openly discussed and addressed.. for you will be severely mistaken in your opinion. let us Pray:

Oh father who art on Stage hollowed by thy scream.. thy deeds be done so we can have fun .. in both realitys and illusionsthat thou has layed out before me. Give us the stregnth to refrain from seeing you as HUMAN and let us not discuss the truths that you so desperately need us to deny. Let us be quick to rip the faces off of those that would detract from your awesomeness even if we have to beg cheat steal and lie. Let us take up your holy cause and banish all things Slash and the past so we MAY find favor in your anger and fury. Let us not whine let us not be disappointed that you no longer speak to us.. no longer write and record music that fills our dismal souls with soothing and provacative purpose. Please oh lord Axl.. let the masses hear your thunderous melody give unto us.. a sign that your still alive. Amen

*this blasphemy was sponsored by End the Spin productions.

You're being ridiculous! Nobody said anything about a messiah. Though Axl is a remarkable and gifted human being. Just pointing out things that have been incorrect about him over the years. The media has a reputation for this,slander, and Axl has been a major recipient of media slander.

Traud - do you think people who worship Celebrities are just "true" fans or do you think they have deep rooted mental issues?

There's a difference between truth and worship, Groghan.

Edited by truadmirer

I agree, Axl is a thoroughly nice chap. He always treats his women with respect and care. He is such a nice work collegue, that no band member has ever left Guns N' Roses. GN'R is literally, the cosiest team ever. Additionally, he is nice to his fans, always keeping them informed, always diving into them to see if they are alright. Axl was so distraught over Hetfield's injury, that he refused to play - that is what a decent sort he is.

I agree, Axl is a thoroughly nice chap. He always treats his women with respect and care. He is such a nice work collegue, that no band member has ever left Guns N' Roses. GN'R is literally, the cosiest team ever. Additionally, he is nice to his fans, always keeping them informed, always diving into them to see if they are alright. Axl was so distraught over Hetfield's injury, that he refused to play - that is what a decent sort he is.

Well, Axl IS respectful and caring towards women, who are not violent and aggressive themselves (and plain devious-Stephanie). And his record shows it.

Are you blaming Axl for the bandmembers that left, of their own free will? Blame Axl for everything, even the actions of others!

The ex-members had better 'priorities' than GNR; like addictions, pursuing their own solo careers. Slash and Izzy said on several occasions that they resented how big GNR had become, the sheer numbers in the audience of the stadiums, and wanted to go back to the bars and clubs. And that's exactly what they did. How's that for fan appreciation?

Duff left for his family.

Axl complained about everybody wanting to go their separate ways with GNR's success, instead of sticking closer together, like he wanted. Axl was the only one that remained loyal to GNR, appreciated the fans, was sober and had the vision and determination to take GNR further. To give the fans more. Its not his fault the others bailed out!

Edited by truadmirer

Well, Axl IS respectful and caring towards women, who are not violent and aggressive themselves. And his record shows it.

Are you blaming Axl for the bandmembers that left, of their own free will? Blame Axl for everything, even the actions of others!

The ex-members had better 'priorities' than GNR; like addictions, pursuing their own solo careers. Slash and Izzy said on several occasions that they resented how big GNR had become, the sheer numbers in the audience of the stadiums, and wanted to go back to the bars and clubs. And that's exactly what they did. How's that for fan appreciation?

Duff left for his family.

Axl complained about everybody wanting to go their separate ways with GNR's success, instead of sticking closer together, like he wanted. Axl was the one that remained loyal to GNR, appreciated the fans, and had the vision and determination to take GNR further. To give the fans more. Its not his fault the others bailed out!

Whew. At first I thought you truly were one of those creepy people that worship celebrities.

Then I read this post and realized you are just being sarcastic and trying to show your dry sense of humor.

You got me - good job.

And good job on your posts in here. Especially this last one. You've managed to twist several negative aspects of Axl's career and life and either justify or blame it all on other people!

Your sense of humor isn't for everybody, but I enjoy it! Thanks for posts and laughs!!!

Axl complained about everybody wanting to go their separate ways with GNR's success, instead of sticking closer together, like he wanted. Axl was the one that remained loyal to GNR, appreciated the fans, and had the vision and determination to take GNR further. To give the fans more. Its not his fault the others bailed out!y.

You are reducing a very complex history to an insultingly simplistic level. I'm not saying Axl was solely to blame, but neither were the other guys. Sure, in Axl's mind, they abandoned GN'R and he remained dedicated to the band's future. That was his reasoning, and to an extent that's an accurate enough statement. But on the flipside, they've all outlined their various reasons for feeling disillusioned by GN'R and the direction it was headed, regardless of whether they were partying too much. It was a situation where everyone just got burnt out, there were a lot of clashing egos and a lot of money involved, a lot of excess and debauchery, and the band was growing apart from each other and becoming diluted as more original members dropped out of the picture. It is what it is. But to say Axl was in the right about everything is really simplifying something that isn't quite so straightforward as you'd perhaps like to believe.

• Like 2