The Axl Rose Asshole/egomaniac Myth debunked

truadmirer

It's all shot through prism of fame and the media. Some random guy who beats chicks and turns up 8 years late for work is basically just an asshole in normal life but this is rock n roll. Go big or go home.

I think it's also about how interesting and full of drama something is. If it's a trainwreck, we'll accept it cause we want to see.

It's like I had this one friend who was such a fucking asshole, but he was so funny and interesting that it took a while until I had enough and said fuck that guy.

And if you're a good musician that happens to be an asshole it kinda goes well together for a lot of people. It's not boring which is oh so important in show biz.

Edited by Rovim

Actually what I mean is, do you think the persona is what makes Axl successful. Maybe he's just an average musician, rock singer? But his persona or style, personality. The mood swings etc play into being a star?

Or he's an awesome singer which made him famous which then blew up these traits.

Or a little of both.

I think the persona has ultimately done himself and his band more harm than good. When they were at their height, no one realized the extent of his issues. It wasn't until later, after the band broke up, after ex members, ex girlfriends and ex managers began to speak, did people come to know what was going on behind the scenes. His personality may have been a motivator to get as big as they did, combined with talent of course, but it also was one of the major factors in destroying it as well. Being an asshole isn't a prerequisite to being a star.

In addressing Truadmirer's assertations, I find she is being overfamiliar and isn't really speaking from any sort of a grounded position, although it is very colourful :blink:

I really think truadmirer should read this:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/angelabraza/20-signs-youare-obsessed-with-your-celebrity-cru-cbbv?s=mobile

And stop making such posts, it almost triggered a seizure for me :blink:

Edited by ohlovelyrita

Axl maybe a good guy deep down, but really who knows. Axl is definately his own worst enemy. He does absolutely no PR to ever promote anything positive about himself. Since he doesn't do any interviews, no autobiographies, no behind the scenes documentaries, its easy for him to become the villain and the scapegoat for all negative GnR news. I definately don't think he's really all to blame for past failures or successes for that matter. Bottom line is, he needs to stop feeding the negativity machine. A recent example is the rock n roll hof fiasco. It made him look like a complete jackass and a confirmed nut case. If he would of showed up and at least been respectful, even Axl bashers may have had their mind changed slightly. Instead it ended up being a couple more logs thrown on to an already hot fire.

Actually what I mean is, do you think the persona is what makes Axl successful. Maybe he's just an average musician, rock singer? But his persona or style, personality. The mood swings etc play into being a star?

Or he's an awesome singer which made him famous which then blew up these traits.

Or a little of both.

I think the persona has ultimately done himself and his band more harm than good. When they were at their height, no one realized the extent of his issues. It wasn't until later, after the band broke up, after ex members, ex girlfriends and ex managers began to speak, did people come to know what was going on behind the scenes. His personality may have been a motivator to get as big as they did, combined with talent of course, but it also was one of the major factors in destroying it as well. Being an asshole isn't a prerequisite to being a star.

Without the negative it's not as good. GNR was built on bad publicity. That was as much to do with the kind of band they wanted to be and how they were sold by management. And not uncommon in anyway. But Axl really took it further than just sex drugs n rock n roll. He lashed out at everything. He wanted control business wise and was also marketed his therapy and problems as the band. So although it all seems real, sometimes I really wonder if its not just the game. Axl has a role to play and he lets it play out. The talent kind of pulls it all together but still he has to go on twitter and play the game.

Ok Rambo.

It's like when Nancy Grace went on Larry King she talk about a murder case for 10 minutes then Larry would get bored and ask why did he do it? She'd laugh and say we have no idea! Point being you can be a good hearted murderer.

No, really you can't.
Nobody knows why people have a violent streak. It's given no weight in court. Whether you were abused or had a bad childhood doesn't mean much in court. But you could still be a pretty good guy. Just one night you lost your mind and blew someone's head off. Yep I'm definitely gay for you!
Just because something does something wrong to you doesn't give you any sort of excuse to do something wrong to someone else. Especially when it involves rape, murder, pedophelia and so on.

That's sweet that you're gay for me and all, I do have to admit that I would be too if I wasn't myself; but you simply don't produce enough estrogen to satisfy me. Sorry. :shrugs:

Point taken.

That's what I'm saying i think. That law doesn't care why. If you hit chicks people just judge you on that. But reality is you could be alright guy. In the court of the media Axl is just an asshole. Serial killers get more girlfriends than me. Aww he's really a nice guy once you get to know him.

Being bad is not the same as being destructive. Lots of bands have built their reputation on being bad boys, that's what rock n roll was all about. In Axl's case however, he took it too far, to the point where the band could no longer exist. I don't think it was a game, I think it was all too real in his mind.

It's actually still real, for him anyway. "Fighting the good fight" and all that nonsense. Somewhere the music got lost in it all.

Edited by Patience 4 Axl

To me CD seems very knowing. But I feel we are talking about a cartoon character. It's a media image mixed with Axls songs about a supermodel love affair. That's Axls main problem, is he's always trying to break the illusion. He doesn't just play the game, he tries them either does something detrimental or has a song like Don't damn me trying to explain himself.

It seems like a well choreographed train wreck to me.

To me CD seems very knowing. But I feel we are talking about a cartoon character. It's a media image mixed with Axls songs about a supermodel love affair. That's Axls main problem, is he's always trying to break the illusion. He doesn't just play the game, he tries them either does something detrimental or has a song like Don't damn me trying to explain himself.

He does play the game to an extent, but he wants it on his terms.

Everyone's going to place their own feelings and emotions on certain songs. I think at his age he knows those aren't his songs anymore. Why do something that had relevance to him decades ago and have no bearing on his life now? Even talking about ChiDem, those songs were coming from a guy in his late 30s-early 40s.

Everyone's going to place their own feelings and emotions on certain songs. I think at his age he knows those aren't his songs anymore. Why do something that had relevance to him decades ago and have no bearing on his life now? Even talking about ChiDem, those songs were coming from a guy in his late 30s-early 40s.

I think he let CD go when it he was over it. Axl is a song and giraffe man now.

• Like 1

doctor_dolittle_1.jpg

doctor_dolittle_1.jpg

Very good Dalsh :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have never heard about Slash wanting smaller crowds. Izzy yes but Slash liked - still does like - big crowds. It was Slash remember who put together the Illusion tour, with the horn section and Tracy and Roberta. Slash (with Teddy) put all that together. That is not exactly the actions of a man who only wants to play clubs, is it? Also, do not forget that, with Velvet Revolver, Slash was playing arenas again!

I have never heard of Aerosmith only wanting to communicate with Axl. This is bollocks. They communicated freely with all bandmembers. The only proviso was, that Guns had to keep their drug usage in their dressing room, and that, their booze (outside this dressing room) was in unmarked cups. But what you say is just complete bullshit. There are anecdotes from Slash and Adler about meeting Aerosmith. There was even a photoshoot with Slash and Joe Perry. There is proof, if you ever needed, that they mingled.

You claim to be GNR fan, but never heard of Slash's complaints on how big GNR was getting? And how much Slash resented large crowds? Don't you people ever do any research before you blindly make statements regarding Slash?

Yeah Slash helped put some things together for UYI tour, begrudgingly, only because he was delegated to do so.

Slash AND Izzy wanted smaller crowds. This comes from Slash's own words!

And yes, Aerosmith WERE separated from all GNR members except Axl, because of the other band member's wasted recklessness! This is a fact. Go do some reading before you make blind comments.

Someone put axl's face over that girraffica riding man's face

PAINT SKILLS :awesomeface:

doctor_dolittle_1.jpg

Ha!!! :lol:

Maybe not that photo of Axl, though, a 2006 would work because he never wore a hat. Most of the recent ones are :axl:

I'm also surprised no one's photoshopped hats on Axl and made a thread out of it. I'm pretty sure Pharrell's hat would have been the latest.

Edited by dalsh327