The Axl Rose Asshole/egomaniac Myth debunked

truadmirer

I've only been an Axl/GNR fan now for about a year and a half.

Well, I've been one for 26 years.

I'm sorry to be the one that apparently has to break this to you, but Axl Rose is a jerk a lot of the time.

Yes, from time to time we get an anecdotal story where he was nice to a random fan somewhere, but the macro perspective of his public career is the opposite of that.

Amazing talent, no question about it. Not the best guy ever. And that's a lifelong fan telling you that.

That has to be the longest post I've ever seen on this forum.

I've only been a fan for a year & a half too, read the 3 books band members put out & chatted to people online to learn more about Axl. Its obvious I really like him, he's the reason I got into GNR & love this lineup as it's really the only one I've taken notice of. Watching the original lineup gives me goosebumps too - no denying they really had something going that was magic.

You cannot say he is manic depressive or bi polar unless you have a Drs certificate diagnosing this, you're mixing up a lot of interviews (some real some not) to come to this conclusion. We don't know if he has been diagnosed with anything or takes meds for any condition - all speculation. :shrugs:

He is just a complex person & like everyone says he sees things differently to everyone else, that's why he lives the way he does, why he's likely still single, yet can also be friendly and warm to the fans he meets. He'll stop for a couple of photos or an autograph on his way to a show until he is shuffled off into a car and there's video proof of that so he's not all bad.

I've become a huge fan of Axl but he does come across complex, been troubled in the past but much more relaxed in the time I've followed the band. The tantrums have stopped, presumably the beating of his women stopped over 20yrs ago or we'd have heard about it by now & he seems happy. All people seem to want is new music, I hope he puts some out to appease the fans who are very frustrated & refusing to go to concerts to see the same old same old. I'd love more tv interviews, the last one was great but took 20yrs - if he takes that long again he will be in his 70s :o

• Like 2

LOL - only been a fan for 1.5 years but "educating" the rest of us on what really happened within the band 20 years ago!!!!! And talking about how the media and fans reacted to him 20 years ago.

Everybody knows you are an alt account, so why not just drop the act? Surely you can do better.

Pretty much everything you wrote was incorrect. Deep down you know this. It's clear you are an alt account just trolling, trying to make people mad. It ain't working - sweety. You are just making people shake their heads and laugh.

Anti-Axl agenda? Axl is my favorite rock singer of all time and I've said many times that he is the best rock singer of my generation, that CD is the best rock album of the last decade, and that if Axl wanted to (by releasing albums and taking touring seriously) he could easily be the King of the mountain once again. The only time I go on negative rants about Axl is when I run into weird people like you who worship his every move and who aren't capable of thought outside of their Rose covered glasses.

I'm a bigger fan of Axl the singer than you are. You are a bigger fan of Axl the person than I am. People like you rarely talk about the actual MUSIC, instead ranting on how evil Slash is, how the media is out to get Axl, how those evil crazy bitches deserved to get smacked around, etc.

And lol at your comment about Axl being more successful than his former bandmates. That is laughable and a flat-out lie on your part. VR's debut album outsold CD. Received more critical success than CD. VR released more music than Axl has. That's a win in everybody's book except yours. That's the thing that just infuriates people like you. It drives you knockers that Slash has been more successful and relevant than Axl has since they split ways. I don't even like Slash and his music, but it cracks me up at how much his success drives you crazy. Numbers don't lie. Slash has been more successful than Axl, and he didn't even have the GnR name to sponge off of.

But you keep your Axl worshipping going......it makes the boards amusing for the rest of us. And I'll keep hoping my favorite singer puts out a new album soon.

Edited by Groghan

I have never heard about Slash wanting smaller crowds. Izzy yes but Slash liked - still does like - big crowds. It was Slash remember who put together the Illusion tour, with the horn section and Tracy and Roberta. Slash (with Teddy) put all that together. That is not exactly the actions of a man who only wants to play clubs, is it? Also, do not forget that, with Velvet Revolver, Slash was playing arenas again!

I have never heard of Aerosmith only wanting to communicate with Axl. This is bollocks. They communicated freely with all bandmembers. The only proviso was, that Guns had to keep their drug usage in their dressing room, and that, their booze (outside this dressing room) was in unmarked cups. But what you say is just complete bullshit. There are anecdotes from Slash and Adler about meeting Aerosmith. There was even a photoshoot with Slash and Joe Perry. There is proof, if you ever needed, that they mingled.

Nobody is suggesting that Axl is perfect, and hasn't made any mistakes. That's simply impossible.

Perfection has nothing to do with being good, good people make mistakes too. How a person responds to their mistakes is whats important. Are they honest? Are they trying to improve? That's what makes one good. It's more about the person's intent.

Axl has admitted any mistakes he's made, and has made real efforts to grow out of it and better himself when he does. Axl's intents are good. That's why so many have described him as having a good heart.

You are completely right that AXL suffered SEVERE abuse growing up. That's where Axl developed his Depressive mood disorder from, and that's something that too many people are much too quick to forget. Axls moodswings are a direct result of his Depressive Disorder. So by labeling Axl an 'Ass' for his mood swings is to attack him for a disorder he can't help. The people that judge him by his mood swings are the REAL a##holes!! Picking on a abuse-derived disability is completely DISGRACEFUL!

Axl's childhood abuse even caused him to stop maturing emotionally at the age of two,

"My growth was stopped at two years old. And when they talk about Axl Rose being a screaming two-year-old, they're right. There's a screaming two-year-old who's real pissed off and hides and won't show himself that often, even to me. Because I couldn't protect him. And the world didn't protect him. And women didn't protect him and basically thought he should be put out of existence."

All the abuse also caused some issues for Axl, of course since he isn't made of stone, and has in fact even been described as naturally very sensitive, but notice how Axl handles it,

Look at these statements from Axl that TOTALLY CONTRADICT what has been wrongly spread against Axl's character'

How do you stop the cycle?

"I don't know. It's finding some way to break the chain. I'm trying to fix myself and turn around and help others. You can't really save anyone. You can support them, but they have to save themselves. You know, you can live your life the way you have and just accept it, or you can try to change it. My life still has its extremes and ups and downs, but it is a lot better because of this work. I'm very interested in getting involved with child-abuse organizations. There's different methods of working with children, and I want to support the ones that I believe in."

Now that's truly GOOD AT HEART.

What the hell is this? Looks like a Myspace page from back in the day.

Just because you can use colors and different types etc, doesn't mean you should, but we get of track.

Is Axl an egomaniac and an Asshole? Probably. Is there nuances? Yes, he is a person, and often a person has a complex set of behavior impulses.

As some said earlier, as you get older, the more you cut through the bullshit and sees the world for what it is.

Edit: Bipolar can at best be an explanation, not an excuse. Stephen Fry is bipolar, and he doesn't bit Swedish security guards in the leg etc.

Edited by Bromle

I have never heard about Slash wanting smaller crowds. Izzy yes but Slash liked - still does like - big crowds. It was Slash remember who put together the Illusion tour, with the horn section and Tracy and Roberta. Slash (with Teddy) put all that together. That is not exactly the actions of a man who only wants to play clubs, is it? Also, do not forget that, with Velvet Revolver, Slash was playing arenas again!

I have never heard of Aerosmith only wanting to communicate with Axl. This is bollocks. They communicated freely with all bandmembers. The only proviso was, that Guns had to keep their drug usage in their dressing room, and that, their booze (outside this dressing room) was in unmarked cups. But what you say is just complete bullshit. There are anecdotes from Slash and Adler about meeting Aerosmith. There was even a photoshoot with Slash and Joe Perry. There is proof, if you ever needed, that they mingled.

Slash thought it would be good for all of them to do a club tour as their next tour after The UYI trek, to sort of ground them and regain some unity. He didn't want to give up stadiums all together. I think he said this in his book though I could be mistaken.

Actually what I mean is, do you think the persona is what makes Axl successful. Maybe he's just an average musician, rock singer? But his persona or style, personality. The mood swings etc play into being a star?

Or he's an awesome singer which made him famous which then blew up these traits.

Or a little of both.

It's weird people talk about Axls behaviour or character but he's a really good singer. Not really sure my point, just it's a big coincidence he's an awesome singer and has these problems?

Don't feel bad man, none of us are ever really sure of your point. :shrugs:
Not sure I ever had a point. But you might have just become one.

Actually what I mean is, do you think the persona is what makes Axl successful. Maybe he's just an average musician, rock singer? But his persona or style, personality. The mood swings etc play into being a star?

Or he's an awesome singer which made him famous which then blew up these traits.

Or a little of both.

A lot of both.

Or a little of both.

A lot of both.
I just find the perfect storm theory disconcerting. I guess it had to happen but at the same time some don't find him that mesmerising. Like he's just an asshole to most.

Or a little of both.

A lot of both.
I just find the perfect storm theory disconcerting. I guess it had to happen but at the same time some don't find him that mesmerising. Like he's just an asshole to most.

That's because he does nothing to please them. He held the whole world in the palm of his hand back when he did.

Or a little of both.

It's weird people talk about Axls behaviour or character but he's a really good singer. Not really sure my point, just it's a big coincidence he's an awesome singer and has these problems?

I ♥ wasted

Missed this replying to the original part of your post, but keep your point in your pants buddy; I don't swing that way.

Or a little of both.

I ♥ wasted

Me too <3

Wasted rules

• Like 1

Or a little of both.

I ♥ wasted

Me too <3

Wasted rules

Too bad ladies, he's gay for me.

• Like 1

Ok Rambo.

It's like when Nancy Grace went on Larry King she talk about a murder case for 10 minutes then Larry would get bored and ask why did he do it? She'd laugh and say we have no idea! Point being you can be a good hearted murderer.

• Like 1

Ok Rambo.

It's like when Nancy Grace went on Larry King she talk about a murder case for 10 minutes then Larry would get bored and ask why did he do it? She'd laugh and say we have no idea! Point being you can be a good hearted murderer.

LOL

Ok Rambo.

No, really you can't.
Nobody knows why people have a violent streak. It's given no weight in court. Whether you were abused or had a bad childhood doesn't mean much in court. But you could still be a pretty good guy. Just one night you lost your mind and blew someone's head off. Yep I'm definitely gay for you!

I couldn't manage to post this successfully under that huge multicoloured wall of text! :blink:

Okay, to start with you cannot diagnose someone you don't know from an online stance with any degree of accuracy no matter how many colors you post it in :blink:

Also Truadmirer, You have assumed a great deal and taken a lot of liberties here that are not warranted. This entire topic is ridiculous and should not have been posted at all.

It makes me queasy and dizzy :blink:

• Like 2

Ok Rambo.

No, really you can't.
Nobody knows why people have a violent streak. It's given no weight in court. Whether you were abused or had a bad childhood doesn't mean much in court. But you could still be a pretty good guy. Just one night you lost your mind and blew someone's head off. Yep I'm definitely gay for you!
Just because something does something wrong to you doesn't give you any sort of excuse to do something wrong to someone else. Especially when it involves rape, murder, pedophelia and so on.

That's sweet that you're gay for me and all, I do have to admit that I would be too if I wasn't myself; but you simply don't produce enough estrogen to satisfy me. Sorry. :shrugs: