What did you guys think of Baz's Kicking & Screaming album?

Towelie

Just checked it out. Really liked the title track, but unfortunately the rest of the record fails to live up.

There's something a bit cringeful about a rocker in his middle ages singing the lyrics of a 19 year old. Don't get me wrong, Nick Sterling is obviously a gifted guitarist, but I can't help but feel he still has quite a lot to learn about the craft of songwriting. My Own Worst Enemy is a decent track reminiscent of Ozzy vocally and I'm Ready is a respectable effort but the other two ballads are cheesy even by Baz's standards and the lyrics are beyond trite.

How does Angel Down compare? (I've yet to hear it).

Edited by Towelie

I wasn't a fan of the "cleaner" voice Baz used on Kicking & Screaming, and the songs sound mostly cliche and forced. Angel Down is infinitely better - the music is better and heavier, Baz uses his clean voice where he should and unleashes the screams. Still listen to Angel Down from time to time, but only listened to Kicking & Screaming maybe twice and haven't really touched it since it came out.

I wasn't a fan of the "cleaner" voice Baz used on Kicking & Screaming, and the songs sound mostly cliche and forced. Angel Down is infinitely better - the music is better and heavier, Baz uses his clean voice where he should and unleashes the screams. Still listen to Angel Down from time to time, but only listened to Kicking & Screaming maybe twice and haven't really touched it since it came out.

Pretty much this. Bach has some great screams on Angel Down. I know he wrote some songs with Jamey Jasta of Hatebreed for Kicking & Screaming but they didn't fit and got shelved. I hope he gets some heavy screamers on the next record.

Peeling the layers of emotions awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!

one of Axl's best moments on any song he's ever sang. Even if he only sings 2 or 3 lines in the song, he takes it to an entirely different level. I get chills every time I hear that line. Towelie, even if you haven't heard the whole Angel Down album, check out Stuck Inside and Back in the Saddle. Axl sounds immense on those songs. He also does backing vocals on Love is a Bitchslap but it's just really deep backing vocals (think "it was a long time" in TWAT)

Edited by RickRoses

Peeling the layers of emotions awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!

one of Axl's best moments on any song he's ever sang. Even if he only sings 2 or 3 lines in the song, he takes it to an entirely different level. I get chills every time I hear that line. Towelie, even if you haven't heard the whole Angel Down album, check out Stuck Inside and Back in the Saddle. Axl sounds immense on those songs. He also does backing vocals on Love is a Bitchslap but it's just really deep backing vocals (think "it was a long time" in TWAT)

He's all over Love is a Bitchslap. You can hear his raspy voice behind almost every lyric.