Did Chinese Democracy increase the spectrum of Guns n Roses' fan demographic?

saber_

With the inception of Chinese Democracy, Guns n Roses' sound was radically changed (with the exception of Axl's voice). Did the modernization of Guns' sound help to bring new fans into the fold? To what extent did Chinese Democracy pull in new fans?

I would argue that Chinese Democracy has achieved a sort-of cult status. It's the little black-sheep engine that could. Did Chinese Democracy increase the spectrum of Guns n Roses' fan demographic?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never met a soul that got pulled into the GnR world by listening to Chinese Democracy. They all discovered Gnr by listening to the old songs first.

Fair enough. But do you think that those people do indeed exist? Perhaps some Buckethead afficianados own Chinese Democracy and were never extensively exposed to pre-2001 Guns?

I've never met a soul that got pulled into the GnR world by listening to Chinese Democracy. They all discovered Gnr by listening to the old songs first.

Fair enough. But do you think that those people do indeed exist? Perhaps some Buckethead afficianados own Chinese Democracy and were never extensively exposed to pre-2001 Guns?

I wish but i feel like even fans of Buckethead, Buttfuck, NIN, Tool, Replacements, LSL, Thin Lizzy, 6AM, Prodigy, Praxis, Primus and so on heard of old Gnr music first before finding this stuff. Old Gnr was just way too popular.

I've meet some people that did, some friends of mine who didn't listen to any of the GN'R stuff until they heard CD, some other friends of mine also meet them trough some of the other guys (Bumblefoot, Ashba and Buckethead to be clear) and of course it will, there's always someone that doesn't know the band, even if GN'R where the biggest band in the world many people would still hear them trough other artist and/or members of the band.

For example I was a fan of Alter Bridge (Myles Kennedy's band) way before I was a GN'R or Slash fan, and the only reason that I heard Slash's solo albums was becouse they had Myles in the project.

With the inception of Chinese Democracy, Guns n Roses' sound was radically changed (with the exception of Axl's voice). Did the modernization of Guns' sound help to bring new fans into the fold? To what extent did Chinese Democracy pull in new fans?

I would argue that Chinese Democracy has achieved a sort-of cult status. It's the little black-sheep engine that could. Did Chinese Democracy increase the spectrum of Guns n Roses' fan demographic?

If anything, it drove many people away.

Guns N' Roses sound was never changed besides for addition of Matt, Dizzy & Gilby. You're talking about a complete change of band, thus not of Guns N' Roses. Axl didn't change the sound of Guns N' Roses, he just changed bands & naturally achieved a change of sound musically. The remainder of Guns N' Roses left and the band ceased to exist before he could change their sound.

Edited by Screamin' Demon

I was a fan of new generation Rock bands ie Muse, 30sec, etc turned to GNR because of ChiDem. ChiDem topped the chart all over the world and iTunes so at least some new fans like myself hooked by the album. Facebook likes started from hundreds to 20M.

Did The Phantom Menace increase the spectrum of Star Wars' fan demographic?

I know you have the full retard avatar and you're reeeeally into it and everything, but try to stay on topic. To answer your question, yes, Phantom Menace did increase the Star Wars' fanbase demographic. Millions of children and young people never saw the originals and instead grew up on the prequels. Similarly, but to a lesser extent, I believe Chinese Democracy brought in some new fans: young ones, guitar virtuoso aficionados, ones who heard the leaks, and people who were generally curious. To be clear, demographic is not the same as raw numbers. I'm not saying Chinese Democracy brought in millions upon millions of new fans. Rather, I believe it widened the demographic of fans.

I know you have the full retard avatar and you're reeeeally into it and everything, but try to stay on topic. To answer your question, yes, Phantom Menace did increase the Star Wars' fanbase demographic. Millions of children and young people never saw the originals and instead grew up on the prequels. Similarly, but to a lesser extent, I believe Chinese Democracy brought in some new fans: young ones, guitar virtuoso aficionados, ones who heard the leaks, and people who were generally curious. To be clear, demographic is not the same as raw numbers. I'm not saying Chinese Democracy brought in millions upon millions of new fans. Rather, I believe it widened the demographic of fans.

+1. My kids likes starwars cos they saw the phantom menace, then the original trilogy.

I saw GNR in 93, but became a fan in the 2000's cos the leaks and the new band.

+1. My kids likes starwars cos they saw the phantom menace, then the original trilogy.

You guys thought I was making a different point than I was making. Your posts confirm my point.

Not true. I bought CD first followed by GH then AFD then Lies then UYIs. I was teenager during the height of Gnr but for some reason never got into them. About three years ago I heard TIL which prompted me to look up CD and I have been really into them ever since.

I find the whole guns mythology fascinating and I can't work out why the hell it bypassed my radar first time round.

I think the internet, iTunes, smart phones have really opened up the world of music for people like me. I was never the type to hang around record stores but since getting a smartphone I have listened to all kinds of bands I probably wouldn't have otherwise.

Really glad Gnr are starting to make better use of the internet as a promotional tool as I think it will increase the fanbase demographic.

Edited by alfierose

You guys thought I was making a different point than I was making. Your posts confirm my point.

What is your point again? Indulge me.

You have to go back to when Bucket and Robin were in the band, not the release of Chinese Democracy. The songs were familiar by the time the CD came out.

I don't think it increased or decreased the fanbase.

I was a fan of new generation Rock bands ie Muse, 30sec, etc turned to GNR because of ChiDem. ChiDem topped the chart all over the world and iTunes so at least some new fans like myself hooked by the album. Facebook likes started from hundreds to 20M.

yeah, and if you'll remember correctly, gnr had literally ZERO facebook likes during the old band's period. literally every single facebook like has come during the nugnr era.