This is the worst thing I've ever heard

bacardimayne

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The guys 51 years old, he is never going to sound like he did in his 20s.

I don't think anyone expects him to sound like he did in his 20's, however 2010 was not that long ago and Axl sounded a whole lot better then

Although this performance isn't bad, and is nowhere near Axl's worst performance by any means. I am just a little underwhelmed by the vocals

Edited by WhazUp

I don't think anyone expects him to sound like he did in his 20's, however 2010 was not that long ago and Axl sounded a whole lot better then

Although this performance isn't bad, and is nowhere near Axl's worst performance. I am just a little underwhelmed by the vocals

That's a matter of opinion, though. Not everyone would agree. I can understand why some would like the raspier tone on the rockers, but I personally am not a fan of the tone at all on the ballads.

Ali

team brazil probably haven't allowed him to listen to this, he's a perfeccionist, he'd NEVER release it as it is.

Is he that much of a perfeccionist as he tries to paint himself as? I mean, have you seen the Chinese Democracy booklet?

And also, it's known that Axl records every concert. I don't know if he watches all of them, but I remember Sebastian Bach saying on an interview once that Axl called him to go and watch some of their shows. If he said anything regarding this release, I suspect it was something on the line of "Do it, I stopped giving a fuck a couple of years ago."

Although this performance isn't bad, and is nowhere near Axl's worst performance. I am just a little underwhelmed by the vocals

That's a matter of opinion, though. Not everyone would agree. I can understand why some would like the raspier tone on the rockers, but I personally am not a fan of the tone at all on the ballads.

Ali

Not everyone, but it would seem like most would agree with WhazUp's assessment.

Ali

Don't be so certain. This board is not necessarily representative of the general public.

Ali

I thought his voice was ok frankly. I guess I just don't hear it anymore...

Besides, I mainly focus on the band and, bar the occasional Ashba fuck-up, they sound amazing.

This is pretty much what I've been saying. The instrumental is so fkn good that I barely pay attention to Axl.

But Ashba's solo was shockingly badly phrased. Yes he played the correct notes, but damn that had no feeling.

The best part of the Sorry solo is the silence between the notes.

That's the single dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life. The Sorry solo is awesome.

I watched this again last night on my tv with decent sound instead of my laptop. So impressed with how the band sound, the only thing stopping this from being a killer release is Axls vocals. I agree the non rasp voice actually works quite well on the ballads, street of dreams for example. But You Could Be Mine and a number of other rockers just don't sit well with me and the mickey voice. Its a shame because I really like the bands sound and they seem so tight on a number of tracks.

Sorry is a decent studio song and a HORRIBLE live song. It completely breaks the mood. That's when you realize you're physically tired, when you notice the guy next to you stinks, etc... Dropping Sorry out of the setlist has been the best thing Axl has done since including Civil War as a staple. Sorry is just not a live song. TIL should be dropped too but Sorry...

100% agree with this, it's just one big 'Meh' of a song really, it's not that good on CD and it's a total bore live. I'd be up for some Rhiad in its place!

Ali

Don't be so certain. This board is not necessarily representative of the general public.

Ali

Lol, yeah, I suppose so. But if Axl can't win over a majority of his most ardent fans, not sure what chance he has with people who are less interested.

Though there are some, it's not as though most people on here, like WhazUp and others, are stating a general contempt for Axl's vocal performance. Few people around here were complaining in 2010 about Axl's voice. Your argument would hold more weight if that were the case.

Sorry is a decent studio song and a HORRIBLE live song. It completely breaks the mood. That's when you realize you're physically tired, when you notice the guy next to you stinks, etc... Dropping Sorry out of the setlist has been the best thing Axl has done since including Civil War as a staple. Sorry is just not a live song. TIL should be dropped too but Sorry...

100% agree with this, it's just one big 'Meh' of a song really, it's not that good on CD and it's a total bore live. I'd be up for some Rhiad in its place!

Saw them perform Rhiad live in Detroit in 2002. Probably the worst response for any GNR song I've ever seen. While Sorry may be a snoozer live, Rhiad is certainly not the answer. Very few people in generally like that song (never does well in CD polls); it's one of those songs that fans have to know ahead of time. Catcher seemed to get a better response and would probably be a better choice than either Rhiad or Sorry.

Edited by downzy

Ali

Ali

Lol, yeah, I suppose so. But if Axl can't win over a majority of his most ardent fans, not sure what chance he has with people who are less interested.

Though there are some, it's not as though most people on here, like WhazUp and others, are stating a general contempt for Axl's vocal performance. Few people around here were complaining in 2010 about Axl's voice. Your argument would hold more weight if that were the case.

Saw them perform Rhiad live in Detroit in 2002. Probably the worst response for any GNR song I've ever seen. While Sorry may be a snoozer live, Rhiad is certainly not the answer. Very few people in generally like that song (never does well in CD polls); it's one of those songs that fans have to know ahead of time. Catcher seemed to get a better response and would probably be a better choice than either Rhiad or Sorry.

That last point of yours made no sense whatsoever. So, because you think that if Axl can't win over his most ardent fans, then the opinions of those on this board must be representative of the general public?

If so, that argument would hold water if it were true that the most ardent fans were more lenient than the more casual fans. I don't necessarily believe that's the case. The most ardent fans can be the most critical or nitpicking as well.

All you have to do is look at the plethora of reviews of shows from Ticketmaster's website to know that your assessment that "most" would agree with WhazUp's/Your opinion is not as clear cut as you may think.

Ali

Referencing a website that sells tickets as if they would ever allow negative reviews to hinder ticket sales. el oh ol

Maybe you should actually do some research before making these kinds of statements? If you had, you'd know that there are actually negative reviews on that website. Many to do with the late starts. So, yes, Ticketmaster allows negative reviews.

Ali

Check majority of the youtube comments on nearly every nugnr video, Ali. You should do MORE research instead of trying to narrow it down to just ticketmaster. It's absurd to think that Ticketmaster isn't moderated.

I don't understand. I can point out several one star reviews on Ticketmaster, which allows people who were at the shows to review the shows in question. Yet, you say they don't allow negative reviews. How can that be the case, how can it be moderated in any discernible, clear way, if there are in fact negative reviews that can be easily found?

I've watched/listened to many YouTube videos from recent GN'R shows, and your assertion (as it seems to me to be) that there is are abundance or preponderance of negative reactions to "nearly every" video is a stretch. Are there some? Sure, Nearly every? I'm sure you'd like to believe that :rofl-lol:

Ali

You'll defend them to the grave. What's the point of even arguing it with you? :shrugs:

One thing is certain. Ali will NEVER stop spinning everything in a GNR discussion.

When people leave a show early, it's not a good sign of public perception. When general people crack jokes, it's not good. When the album ends up in a dollar store, it's generally not good. When hundreds to possibly thousands of people on youtube crack jokes and/or leave negative reviews, it's not good.

But hey.....there's always ticketmaster. :rofl-lol:

Edited by Rustycage