Fun fact: Frank is the second longest serving GN'R drummer

Vincent Vega

Fun fact: Frank is the second longest serving GN'R drummer

I think it's kind of interesting that, next to Matt Sorum, Frank Ferrer is the longest serving drummer in GN'R, and will soon become the longest serving drummer in GN'R's history.

Matt Sorum (July 1990-April 1997): 6 years, 9 months (3 albums)

Frank Ferrer (October 2006-present): 6 years, 4 months. (1 album)

Brian "Brain" Mantia (October 2000-October 2006): 6 years (1 album)

Steven Adler (June 1985-July 1990): 5 years, 1 month. (1 1/2 albums)

Josh Freese (1997-1999): 2 years (1 single)

In terms of musical contribution, Matt Sorum remains unsurpassed in GN'R as the most contributory drummer, having played on 3 full albums.

Edited by Vincent Vega

And funny to think that Matt really only played with them from 1991-1993. Arguably his tenure ended in 1994/early 1995. After that counting him as a member is kind of pointless, as it is to count anyone a member from 1995-2001. Really both drummers have been active in the band longer than the original drummers, if you don't count album numbers.

Fun fact nonetheless. Kind of like how Tommy has held bass duties longer than Duff's run (Tommy is at what, 15/16 years now? Duff was in for 12 years), although Duff obviously has a lot more albums which is ironic.

Tommy joined, as best as I can tell, in the spring of 1998, so yeah 15 years.

Duff quit around the second week of August '97, two weeks before his daughter was born. 12 years, 2 months.

And funny to think that Matt really only played with them from 1991-1993. Arguably his tenure ended in 1994/early 1995. After that counting him as a member is kind of pointless, as it is to count anyone a member from 1995-2001. Really both drummers have been active in the band longer than the original drummers, if you don't count album numbers.

No, his tenure ended in April 1997 after a fight with Axl. He was still contributing to the band up until that time. Matt is the guy who discovered Robin in early '97 and showed him to Axl and suggested he join the band as rhythm guitarist, at which point Slash could then rejoin. Axl nixed the idea and wanted Robin on lead guitar.

Edited by Vincent Vega

Drums and bass also have the distinction of not having had the "musical chairs" of members that has come with guitarists post-Slash and Izzy, which is another fun fact. Not counting Ole, the band as an established recording act has only had two bass players which isn't that unheard of. It's the guitarists that's made things a little crazy.

If no changes are made to the current line-up over the next couple years, you'll have the longest consistent GNR line-up ever. Axl/Slash/Duff/Izzy/Steven lasted about six years. The current line-up is on it's fifth.

The Axl/Slash/Izzy/Duff/Steven lineup lasted exactly 5 years and 1 month.

The current lineup has only been in place since December 2009, when DJ made his debut with the band.

Edited by Vincent Vega

If no changes are made to the current line-up over the next couple years, you'll have the longest consistent GNR line-up ever. Axl/Slash/Duff/Izzy/Steven lasted about six years. The current line-up is on it's fifth.

The Axl/Slash/Izzy/Duff/Steven lineup lasted exactly 5 years and 1 month.

The current lineup has only been in place since December 2009, when DJ made his debut with the band.

In the words of the great Axl Rose, "Okay nevermind."

Interesting facts but they show that most people measure the success of a band by their output rather than their longevity. If Axl had maintained some stability after Slash left and continued to release music timely Slash would probably be a smaller part of GNR history than he is currently considered to be.

I have just worked it out. GN'R have had 22 bandmembers. These include six drummers (including Gardner) and ten guitarists (including Tracii Guns). Ten guitarists, fuck me! Stradlin, Guns, Slash, Gilby, Tobias, Finck, Buckethead, Fortus, Thal, Ashba. They could form a football team!

Another fact. Only one band member has died (Ole Beich). Twenty two members, many with various 'addictions', living the rock n' roll lifestyle, and you would think there would be more dead. I mean by the laws of probability.

I have just worked it out. GN'R have had 22 bandmembers. These include six drummers (including Gardner) and ten guitarists (including Tracii Guns). Ten guitarists, fuck me! Stradlin, Guns, Slash, Gilby, Tobias, Finck, Buckethead, Fortus, Thal, Ashba. They could form a football team!

Another fact. Only one band member has died (Ole Beich). Twenty two members, many with various 'addictions', living the rock n' roll lifestyle, and you would think there would be more dead. I mean by the laws of probability.

It is quite amazing that Steven isn't dead.

First of all congrats to Frank Ferrer - I'm sure the man feels an acomplished artist on Axl's band.

Post UYI, Gn'R has become quite a joke of a "band"....really sad.

It is quite amazing that Steven isn't dead.

Beich died on October 16, 1991, drowning in Sankt Jørgens Lake in the center of Copenhagen.[1] Not long before, on August 19, Guns N' Roses had performed in the city. His family believe that he became depressed after leaving Guns N' Roses in 1985 and was heavily abusing drugs before returning to Denmark in 1988. Heroin, and a blood alcohol content of .148, are thought to have contributed to his drowning, but his family still believes it was a suicide.

Ole Beich lies buried in Esbjerg next to his father Aksel, who died in 1995. - that's what wikipedia says, his father named Aksel, interesting :)

Tenure doesn't mean much when little happens during that period. Output is more interesting. And one way to look at output, besides the more obvious amount of released music, is the number of concerts played during their time in the band. Here's that list:

01: Axl Rose (720).
02: Dizzy Reed (500).
03: Duff McKagan (413).
04: Slash (411).
05. Tommy Stinson, Chris Pitman (304).
07: Richard Fortus (301)
08. Bumblefoot (278).
09: Izzy Stradlin (273).
10: Frank Ferrer (261).

(Source: http://www.a-4-d.com/t15-tour-and-concert-statistics#15)

Steven has played 208 concerts.

Edited by SoulMonster

Tenure doesn't mean much when little happens during that period. Output is more interesting. And one way to look at output, besides the more obvious amount of released music, is the number of concerts played during their time in the band. Here's that list:

05. Tommy Stinson (305)

06 Chris Pitman (304).

08. Bumblefoot (278).

Nice info!

Wonder if they count with Duff's and Izzy's guest appearances...

05. Tommy Stinson (305)

06 Chris Pitman (304).

08. Bumblefoot (278).

Nice info!

Wonder if they count with Duff's and Izzy's guest appearances...

Thanks, it's from my own site, and no, I don't, I only count full shows.

What show did Tommy play that Chris didn't?

The last one, e.g. the one at Soho House in LA on February 13, 2013.
Are you positive Chris wasn't there?

And actually, there would have to be another show that Tommy played that Chris didn't as well. Because there was a show in 2006 that Chris played and Tommy didn't.