Films that defined your childhood

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, all the films my Dad liked, like westerns, anything with Marlon Brando, Clint Eastwood, Robert Mitchum, Burt Lancaster, Charles Bronson, Bruce Lee, John Wayne, James Coburn, Steve McQueen, James Stewart (the westerns predominantly) Lee Marvin, they used to be all taped on VHS and i used to just pick em at random and it'd be like, ahhh, todays movie shall be Death Hunt, Charles Bronson & Lee Marvin, whoo-hoo! :lol: I'd seen most things out of those guys filmographies at a very early age. And then like, the action/generally sick movies my brother liked which were like Arnie, Stallone, Van Damme, Steve Seagal and then anything that was banned that he could get his hands on like Straw Dogs and Clockwork Orange and Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.

Back in the day there used to be this huge list of films that were banned over here that you can get pretty freely now but before you had to buy a dodgy copy with fucked up tracking off of some bloke in Bovingdon Market and i just fuckin' saw the lot of em, I Spit On Your Grave all mental films like that. I remember watching that one so young they're like, raping the bird and i didn't even know how rape worked at that age and i'm thinking "shes making a lot of noise and they're barely touching her" :unsure:

But mostly westerns, i sometimes wonder if that didn't help define my morality somewhere deep down, the westerns that is. To this day there's nothing more comfortable to me than watching a nice technicolour 2 and half hour western curled up on a sofa, it's like going back to the womb :)

Clockwork Orange must've been a popular bootleg until Kubrick died.

Guest Len B'stard

To be honest, all the films my Dad liked, like westerns, anything with Marlon Brando, Clint Eastwood, Robert Mitchum, Burt Lancaster, Charles Bronson, Bruce Lee, John Wayne, James Coburn, Steve McQueen, James Stewart (the westerns predominantly) Lee Marvin, they used to be all taped on VHS and i used to just pick em at random and it'd be like, ahhh, todays movie shall be Death Hunt, Charles Bronson & Lee Marvin, whoo-hoo! :lol: I'd seen most things out of those guys filmographies at a very early age. And then like, the action/generally sick movies my brother liked which were like Arnie, Stallone, Van Damme, Steve Seagal and then anything that was banned that he could get his hands on like Straw Dogs and Clockwork Orange and Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.

Back in the day there used to be this huge list of films that were banned over here that you can get pretty freely now but before you had to buy a dodgy copy with fucked up tracking off of some bloke in Bovingdon Market and i just fuckin' saw the lot of em, I Spit On Your Grave all mental films like that. I remember watching that one so young they're like, raping the bird and i didn't even know how rape worked at that age and i'm thinking "shes making a lot of noise and they're barely touching her" :unsure:

But mostly westerns, i sometimes wonder if that didn't help define my morality somewhere deep down, the westerns that is. To this day there's nothing more comfortable to me than watching a nice technicolour 2 and half hour western curled up on a sofa, it's like going back to the womb :)

Hugely, the guy who ran the local market store lent me his copy when i was 13 and i took it to my mums friend who lived a few doors down and had a double deck recorder on the pretence that is was a boxing match so she'd leave it taping while

She watched whatever and i prayed she didnt check the shit she was recording for me... She didnt luckily :D

Was an odd feeling as a kid, having these things you werent supposed to, this illicit matierial that kids spoke of like legendary :)

ET, Annie :lol:, Frank and Frey, indiana Jones, Gremlins, police academy.

Showing your age a bit there... :kiss:

Yes, I know! You don't have to tell me, I am old! The first two mentioned movies, I saw in the theatre cause we didn't have anything else, there showing more!

And the first television I watched, when I was very very little, was in black and white! My parents didn't had the money for color.

So there....

Yes, I know! You don't have to tell me, I am old! The first two mentioned movies, I saw in the theatre cause we didn't have anything else, there showing more!

And the first television I watched, when I was very very little, was in black and white! My parents didn't had the money for color.

So there....

Woah.. Chill out grandma. :P

:kiss:

I wouldn't say any films defined my childhood because ny childhood wasn't fictional, nor reflected in any motion picture.

However the films I remember enjoying were Hook, Aladdin and Grease. I've not seen Hook since being a kid, but Aladdin and Grease are both in my DVD collection. Growing up and realising that falling in love is not done young, with someone as cute as John Travolta was, nor your sweetheart dancing a lot, was disappointing.

So there....

Woah.. Chill out grandma. :P

:kiss:

I am just kidding Aaron, I don't mind.

Hugely, the guy who ran the local market store lent me his copy when i was 13 and i took it to my mums friend who lived a few doors down and had a double deck recorder on the pretence that is was a boxing match so she'd leave it taping while

She watched whatever and i prayed she didnt check the shit she was recording for me... She didnt luckily :D

Was an odd feeling as a kid, having these things you werent supposed to, this illicit matierial that kids spoke of like legendary :)

Good job she didn't flick it on during that scene when Alex is shagging those two girls like a rabbit.

Guest Len B'stard

Good job she didn't flick it on during that scene when Alex is shagging those two girls like a rabbit.

I'd've been more worried about the fuckin' rape scene :lol: Viddy well brother!

Edited by sugaraylen

To be honest I don't think any films 'defined' my childhood. I went to the pictures a lot as a kid and saw pretty much every Hollywood film throughout the 80s, but I wouldn't say any film made an impression on me until I was about 12 or 13. My Dad was a big Hitchcock fan and we would rent the films on video and they had a huge impact on me, particularly Rear Window and North by Northwest. My Mum liked Audrey Hepburn and I remember watching Breakfast at Tiffany's with her.

In terms of what I do now for a living I would say that those three films had the biggest impact in cultivating an understanding for visual communication than anything else I was exposed to.