Films that defined your childhood

What are some films that like, define your childhood?

For me:

Wayne's World 1 & 2

Look Who's Talking (That movie sort of formed my ideas about what being an adult might be like when I was a kid)

Hocus Pocus

Labyrinth

There's others but that's all I can think of right now.

Edited by Vincent Vega

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Halloween 1 and 2

Nightmare on Elm Street 1 to 3

Ghostbusters

Transformers

Terminator

The 'Burbs

Die Hard

Rambo II

Indiana Jones (mainly The Last Crusade and Raiders of the Lost Ark)

The Explorers

Monster Squad

Stand By Me

Pee Wee's Big Adventure

Batman

Running Man

Superman 2

Robocop

Flight of the Navigator

Star Wars (original trilogy)

European Vacation

The Great Outdoors

Adventures in Babysitting

The Karate Kid

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Back to the Future

Beverly Hills Cop

Eddie Murphy Delirious

See No Evil, Hear No Evil

Revenge of the Nerds

Jaws

Edited by Randy Lahey

Home alone 1 + 2

Hook

Mrs Doubtfire

Cry baby

Little shop of horrors

Jurassic Park

The flintstones

Fern gully

The lion king

Men in black

Ghostbusters

The mask

Matilda

Miracle on 34th street

Muppet christmas carol

Muppet treasure island

Toy story

A lot of these films listed my sister and I used to watch them over and over again on vhs.

Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Ghostbusters, Goonies, Gremlins, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, National Lampoon's Vacation (first movie I remember seeing with TITTIES!....that and Revenge of the Nerds) Transformers: The Movie, RoboCop, Batman (1989).

All of these too ^^^^^^^

Guest Len B'stard

To be honest, all the films my Dad liked, like westerns, anything with Marlon Brando, Clint Eastwood, Robert Mitchum, Burt Lancaster, Charles Bronson, Bruce Lee, John Wayne, James Coburn, Steve McQueen, James Stewart (the westerns predominantly) Lee Marvin, they used to be all taped on VHS and i used to just pick em at random and it'd be like, ahhh, todays movie shall be Death Hunt, Charles Bronson & Lee Marvin, whoo-hoo! :lol: I'd seen most things out of those guys filmographies at a very early age. And then like, the action/generally sick movies my brother liked which were like Arnie, Stallone, Van Damme, Steve Seagal and then anything that was banned that he could get his hands on like Straw Dogs and Clockwork Orange and Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.

Back in the day there used to be this huge list of films that were banned over here that you can get pretty freely now but before you had to buy a dodgy copy with fucked up tracking off of some bloke in Bovingdon Market and i just fuckin' saw the lot of em, I Spit On Your Grave all mental films like that. I remember watching that one so young they're like, raping the bird and i didn't even know how rape worked at that age and i'm thinking "shes making a lot of noise and they're barely touching her" :unsure:

But mostly westerns, i sometimes wonder if that didn't help define my morality somewhere deep down, the westerns that is. To this day there's nothing more comfortable to me than watching a nice technicolour 2 and half hour western curled up on a sofa, it's like going back to the womb :)

Edited by sugaraylen

Me and my friend used to buy up the 'video nasties' also - from a dodgy mail order guy. This was when I hit my teens. We considered the BBFC prime bastards. Some of the ones we got:

I Spit on You Grave (horrific rape film)

Snuff (It isn't snuff. It is actually a really shit mexican phoney snuff film)

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Cannibal Holocaust (not, for animal lovers)

The Exorcist (yes my american friends. In the UK the Exorcist was as illicit as heroin!)

Natural Born Killers (Also banned in Victorian's Britain. My mate actually bought a copy back from florida. Then Channel Five weirdly managed to screen the film. Pity it is a piece of crap)

Lot of Italian horror as well. We also tried to get uncut versions of films that had been censored, stuff like dawn of the dead and the Bruce Lee films with the nunchuka scenes intact. I remember ITV (i think it was) ''accidentally'' screened Enter the Dragon with the nunchuka scene intact and we knew somebody who managed to tape it. Good times really. ''The Chase is Better than the Catch''. Now you can just d/l it and buy it all on dvd, it doesn't have the seem feeling as trying to obtain it.

Guest Len B'stard

Me and my friend used to buy up the 'video nasties' also - from a dodgy mail order guy. This was when I hit my teens. We considered the BBFC prime bastards. Some of the ones we got:

I Spit on You Grave (horrific rape film)

Snuff (It isn't snuff. It is actually a really shit mexican phoney snuff film)

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Cannibal Holocaust (not, for animal lovers)

The Exorcist (yes my american friends. In the UK the Exorcist was as illicit as heroin!)

Natural Born Killers (Also banned in Victorian's Britain. My mate actually bought a copy back from florida. Then Channel Five weirdly managed to screen the film. Pity it is a piece of crap)

Lot of Italian horror as well. We also tried to get uncut versions of films that had been censored, stuff like dawn of the dead and the Bruce Lee films with the nunchuka scenes intact. I remember ITV (i think it was) ''accidentally'' screened Enter the Dragon with the nunchuka scene intact and we knew somebody who managed to tape it. Good times really. ''The Chase is Better than the Catch''. Now you can just d/l it and buy it all on dvd, it doesn't have the seem feeling as trying to obtain it.

The fuckin Nunchuka thing was stupid though, weren't it? I mean Way of the Dragon especially, the bit where Bruce takes me round the back of that restaurant, you cut the Nuncuka scene and there was fuck all left, can you remember that? i had the exorcist on the fuzziest mankiest fuckin' BUSH VHS tape you ever saw in your fuckin' life! NBK i had to find in a market in fuckin' Pakistan, thats how rare it was for me, with urdu subtitles :lol: The Bruce Lee ones were infuriating though cuz a lot of those films were like, just hacked to bits, it weren't even clever the way they done it. Like Game of Death, most of that film ain't even the real Bruce Lee so it's like, the last 20 minutes, minus the nunchuka bits and there's just him fighting Kareem Abdul Jabbar and thats it.

I had to fuckin' work to see my favorite films, Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer was like gold-dust!

Childs Play too, after Jamie Bulger got killed was fuckin' impossible to get hold of, Childs Play 3 i think it was.

My dad just set up a betamax with animal house and blues brothers and said thats all you need. So i watch those two movies for 2 years. Somehow i taped Live at ritz from gnr. And thats it. That wasnt childhood tho. That was pre mayhem. Im a zit get it!