March 20th, 2013 - Brisbane, Australia

highvoltage

This person was at the show:

From http://www.brisbanet...0321-2ggn2.html

If I wasn't there then I would be greatly dissapointed in this review, even though the prose is clever. Firstly Axl, get rid of your sound guy, it sounded terrible, so terrible in fact at the end of Its So Easy, I turned to my girlfriend and said this sounds disgusting, I could leave right now. ZZ Top had their sound perfect, the bass was thumping, the drums, pounding and Messrs Gibbons guitar and vocals were spot on, shame most the audience didn't know most of their songs outside the radio played regulars. Rose Tattoo, I caught the end of and I enjoyed, We won't be beaten. Now back to Axl and associates, much respect to Axl for being on time and very professional. From the opening note though of Chinese Democracy, though I was left wanting better sound, it was dismal, no drums could be heard, no bass and the guitars, 3 of, were just a mess with no real distinction between them until a solo or breakaway and Axl's mike was just too loud. The show though was great fun to watch. Everyone on stage put on a great performance and seemed to enjoy themselves. With all the great songs played that night, it was Dizzy Reeds solo of Led Zeppelins, No Quarter which ended up being the highlight for me and the grand finale of Paradise City was full of sound and light, awesome, but Axl, please do something with your sound guy, I would of rated the show more highly if it wasn't for that and I waited 25 years to see GnR, shame I felt cheated not seeing Slash and the original line-up up there playing their music with you....

Edited by magisme

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excuse me but I did not call them a wanker at all, they are basing their opinion on a video and not on actually being at the performance live. While at the concert I was thinking how perfect they sounded but I'm sure uploaded videos will show they might not have sounded as great. You really need to be there to get the full extent of the sound, you cannot tell from a video taken from the audience without the quality of sound whether it is "the worst I've ever heard". That's all I'm saying.

If you didn't notice, I was quoting the other person. The one who responded with the wanker emote.

That might be true, but the YouTubes of the other performances of Nice Boys sound a lot better than that one, so that has to mean something.

If I wasn't there then I would be greatly dissapointed in this review, even though the prose is clever. Firstly Axl, get rid of your sound guy, it sounded terrible, so terrible in fact at the end of Its So Easy, I turned to my girlfriend and said this sounds disgusting, I could leave right now. ZZ Top had their sound perfect, the bass was thumping, the drums, pounding and Messrs Gibbons guitar and vocals were spot on, shame most the audience didn't know most of their songs outside the radio played regulars. Rose Tattoo, I caught the end of and I enjoyed, We won't be beaten. Now back to Axl and associates, much respect to Axl for being on time and very professional. From the opening note though of Chinese Democracy, though I was left wanting better sound, it was dismal, no drums could be heard, no bass and the guitars, 3 of, were just a mess with no real distinction between them until a solo or breakaway and Axl's mike was just too loud. The show though was great fun to watch. Everyone on stage put on a great performance and seemed to enjoy themselves. With all the great songs played that night, it was Dizzy Reeds solo of Led Zeppelins, No Quarter which ended up being the highlight for me and the grand finale of Paradise City was full of sound and light, awesome, but Axl, please do something with your sound guy, I would of rated the show more highly if it wasn't for that and I waited 25 years to see GnR, shame I felt cheated not seeing Slash and the original line-up up there playing their music with you....

Seems pretty critical of the sound, rather than the show or performance itself.

I think it really has to do with where you were. I've got a video of Paradise City to upload that shows that the mix was perfect where I was standing; DJ was a little low but that was it.

Seems pretty critical of the sound, rather than the show or performance itself.

I think it really has to do with where you were. I've got a video of Paradise City to upload that shows that the mix was perfect where I was standing; DJ was a little low but that was it.

I meant it to be about the sound. Someone was saying how perfect they sounded and how you couldn't criticize if you weren't there because youtube distorts the sound.

I will say, though, I've never been to a GNR show where I thought the mix was good. Not one. It has always frustrated me.

Sorry it's a bit out of focus guys, I just discovered my camera's exposure settings were a bit fucked last night. That didn't mix well with the lighting.

You'll see what I mean by Angry throwing Axl off a bit at the start, but it gets a lot better pretty quickly!

Watch it in HD, sounds a lot better. Will upload Paradise City later... it's a bit big, but it looks a lot better at least. :)

Probably the worst version I've heard of this song. Compare this with Tokyo 2009 (where his voice wasn't good also) and it's almost funny to see how bad he is nowadays.

So this is the worst version, 2009 he couldn't sing it either. Yet he's walking away with millions of dollars and millions of people who want to meet him while you're..........well busking this song in the street & sounding fantastic. Right?

How old are you ? Seriously. I've been to this tour twice. I think I've earned the right to talk my piece. It's nowhere as good as 2009, and he wasn't in top form. Just listen to this:

Once again, a forum member expresses a negative opinion and a worshiper has to swoop in and attack the forum member.

It's an OK performance with some truly awful moments and a couple cool moments. That's all.

Thanks for uploading the vid.

You are truly deaf. The nice boys vid sounded awesome and had a few off parts, but most of the VOCAL performance was awesome, the band sounded excellent. Imo it's one of the best vocal performances of the song :) especially after the first verse. Full of power and, mind you, the almighty raspy vocals.

Ill post the melbourne 16th one later, but I think his voice was phenomenal this tour

I wouldn't say phenomenal, but I thought it was very, very good.

People will probably flame me for this, but I sometimes think the constant rasp from 2010 is a bit over-rated. He's more consistent and has better control when he sings cleanly and uses the rasp more sparingly. I'd even go to say he's more of a dynamic vocalist nowadays... he holds notes longer and uses vibrato more, it sounds nice. Like he's actually singing.

People seem to really like the rasp because it sounds more like "vintage" Axl... but for me it sounded like he was really forcing it out some of the time in 2010. It hits you more when he uses it now on the bigger notes, and he doesn't run out of breath anywhere near as frequently.

Once again, a forum member expresses a negative opinion and a worshiper has to swoop in and attack the forum member.

It's an OK performance with some truly awful moments and a couple cool moments. That's all.

You are truly deaf.

Either that or someone thinks differently than you. But whatever. Take your pick.

You are truly deaf. The nice boys vid sounded awesome and had a few off parts, but most of the VOCAL performance was awesome, the band sounded excellent. Imo it's one of the best vocal performances of the song :) especially after the first verse. Full of power and, mind you, the almighty raspy vocals.

I know what I'm about to suggest kind of defeats the purpose of coming to a discussion board, but if the guy doesn't think a performance is all that great, what is it to you? Why do you need to call him deaf? If someone thinks something is great, good for them. If they don't, it's no sweat off your back.

Arguing over whether something is superior to something else is one thing, but taking personal shots because someone doesn't agree with you is pretty dumb.

Personally, was happy to hear Axl's vocals sound better in the second part of Nice Boys. It's another demonstration that when Axl wants to turn it on, he can. It's just a shame he doesn't sing like that the entire show. At the same time, it's not an easy sound to produce, let alone for 2 hours, so not going to come down on him too hard (especially since I wasn't there).

Edited by downzy

Sorry it's a bit out of focus guys, I just discovered my camera's exposure settings were a bit fucked last night. That didn't mix well with the lighting.

You'll see what I mean by Angry throwing Axl off a bit at the start, but it gets a lot better pretty quickly!

Watch it in HD, sounds a lot better. Will upload Paradise City later... it's a bit big, but it looks a lot better at least. :)

Probably the worst version I've heard of this song. Compare this with Tokyo 2009 (where his voice wasn't good also) and it's almost funny to see how bad he is nowadays.

So this is the worst version, 2009 he couldn't sing it either. Yet he's walking away with millions of dollars and millions of people who want to meet him while you're..........well busking this song in the street & sounding fantastic. Right?

How old are you ? Seriously. I've been to this tour twice. I think I've earned the right to talk my piece. It's nowhere as good as 2009, and he wasn't in top form. Just listen to this:

I'm Axl's age so I've been to many, many concerts. You are allowed your opinion of course but you're always negative even when it's uncalled for.

I do think the audio at our show depended on where you were apparently as we were front row right in front of the speakers & got the best sound, Rose Tattoo were a bit loud or maybe we got used to the loudness of the music as the show went on. I have read that people in the middle didn't find the sound as good so it may depend on where you are placed in the audience.

I will have a listen to the video you uploaded from 2009. However for the people who were there they might have heard it differently to the audio - I think that I just go to a concert to enjoy the music and never have a problem while there. Have you heard Meatloaf sing over here at our Grand Final Football Game - if you want dreadful you only have to listen to him to hear what awful is.

Which GNR shows have you been to & what was the sound like while you were there?

Ill post the melbourne 16th one later, but I think his voice was phenomenal this tour

I wouldn't say phenomenal, but I thought it was very, very good.

People will probably flame me for this, but I sometimes think the constant rasp from 2010 is a bit over-rated. He's more consistent and has better control when he sings cleanly and uses the rasp more sparingly. I'd even go to say he's more of a dynamic vocalist nowadays... he holds notes longer and uses vibrato more, it sounds nice. Like he's actually singing.

People seem to really like the rasp because it sounds more like "vintage" Axl... but for me it sounded like he was really forcing it out some of the time in 2010. It hits you more when he uses it now on the bigger notes, and he doesn't run out of breath anywhere near as frequently.

Yes. The GnR fanbase though is the most retarded and crazy fanbase I've ever seen. When someone's in the band, he sucks. When he leaves he's the new god. Back in 2006 everyone hated Axl's braids, now they are way cooler and looked way better than Axl's hair. Back in 2006 he had raspy, but couldn't hold notes like he holded in 2002. Back in 2010 they said Axl was shit, but nowadays that year is the holy grail of new GnR. Back in 2008, 2009 the 2002 band was the best GnR band ever and Axl's voice was different rather than weak, he was more consistent, he had a goal, etc. Back in 2001, he RIR concert was the worst thing that happened in Guns. Nowadays that concert is the greatest new GnR concert to date.

Ya know, you can't win :lol:

LOOOOOLNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Overall this is a weak performance, with a bit of stronger moments, but nowhere near as good as the 2010 performances...

You are the deaf man, if you like Axl's current voice...

Edited by Crash Diet

Excuse me but I did not call them a wanker at all, they are basing their opinion on a video and not on actually being at the performance live. While at the concert I was thinking how perfect they sounded but I'm sure uploaded videos will show they might not have sounded as great. You really need to be there to get the full extent of the sound, you cannot tell from a video taken from the audience without the quality of sound whether it is "the worst I've ever heard". That's all I'm saying.

If you didn't notice, I was quoting the other person. The one who responded with the wanker emote.

That might be true, but the YouTubes of the other performances of Nice Boys sound a lot better than that one, so that has to mean something.

Sorry I didn't notice that wanker emote. I don't name call as everyone is entitled to opinions as long as they're not trolling. The other youtubes might sound better and others not so good but it still depends on how the sound is picked up by the person recording it. You can tell the difference between the youtube audience recordings compared to the professional ones and the same concert can sound very different. My camera would certainly make the sound terrible compared to Redhead who uses a phone where it might record a much better sound. I would love to know what exactly Axl is hearing in his ear monitor - I notice so much he reaches back to make adjustments & wonder if it's the music he's hearing so he knows when to sing.

I know what I'm about to suggest kind of defeats the purpose of coming to a discussion board, but if the guy doesn't think a performance is all that great, what is it to you? Why do you need to call him deaf? If someone thinks something is great, good for them. If they don't, it's no sweat off your back.

Arguing over whether something is superior to something else is one thing, but taking personal shots because someone doesn't agree with you is pretty dumb.

Personally, was happy to hear Axl's vocals sound better in the second part of Nice Boys. It's another demonstration that when Axl wants to turn it on, he can. It's just a shame he doesn't sing like that the entire show. At the same time, it's not an easy sound to produce, let alone for 2 hours, so not going to come down on him too hard (especially since I wasn't there).

You are not getting the point. The guy says that a performance sucks because it lacks "rasp", but when Axl does what he wants for the biggest part of the song - I'd say around 80, 85% - he still says it sucks. There's no consistency. he's here to complain and bitch. That's why I call him on his bullshit.

And Bruno proves he can't read.

Even though english isn't my first language, I can read you complaining for no reason all the time. I've been complaining myself a lot lately, but there's some thinking behind it rather than "oh, no, it sucks and I don't even know why".

Wtf are you smoking man?

His voice gone faar away. Not only on this tour, but the last 2 years...

I saw them 3 times in 2010, 2 times in 2012 and 3 times in 2013... and I beg to differ.

Wtf are you smoking man?

I saw them 3 times in 2010, 3 times in 2012 and 2 times in 2013... and I beg to differ.

Good for you...

If you saw them in 2010 i cannot believe you like Axl's current weak voice..

Yes, i read your comment about the 2010 rasp is overrated, but i disagree

Edited by Crash Diet

Even though english isn't my first language, I can read you complaining for no reason all the time. I've been complaining myself a lot lately, but there's some thinking behind it rather than "oh, no, it sucks and I don't even know why".

I said the performance was "OK." Explain to me how "OK" means "sucks."

Edited by magisme

"A few cool moments and some awful moments" isn't OK. Nowadays most of the time Axl's off, but he's definitely on here. Not the whole performance, I know.

Edited by Bruno Poeys

Wtf are you smoking man?

I saw them 3 times in 2010, 3 times in 2012 and 2 times in 2013... and I beg to differ.

Good for you...

If you saw them in 2010 i cannot believe you like Axl's current weak voice..

Yes, i read your comment about the 2010 rasp is overrated, but i disagree

Clean doesn't mean weak. Far from it. I suggest going to a show and seeing for yourself.... or watching the Vegas DVD when it's released. :)

Can you and iftheworld please stop with the petulant, childish insults/arguments? Thanks.

It sucks that just like every thread used to turn into an Axl vs. Sash debate, it now turns into an "Axls voice" and rasp vs. clean debate.

Sure I'll admit that Axl seemed to peak from 2006 - 2010 in terms of how he sounded, but from what I've seen so far in 2013, he's not sounding bad at all. I would like to hear a good version of LALD with him sounding like that.

Anyways, I hope all you Aussies enjoyed the shows more than all the youtube watching, professional voice critics did from home ;)

A8R

Edited by Allen8R

Look, his voice is weak everytime a tour kicks in. He just couldn't handle the 3-hour show in 2011 and 2012. It was too much for him. I'm glad he found out soon enough though after two years of Bad/OK/Good performances, none excellent. He'll definitely be better in 2013 and you will see.

"A few cool moments and some awful moments" isn't OK. Nowadays most of the time Axl's off, but he's definitely on here. Not the whole performance, I know.

I literally said I thought it was OK. LITERALLY. Learn to read! Sorry, asshole, you don't get to define what OK means to me.