Re-Evaluating Rock In Rio 2011

rocknroll41

I just figured I might as well share my opinion. I'm still in favor of a reunion of the Classic band and I still don't give a shit about Current band (especially since they haven't done new music yet), I'm just saying, lighten up on Rock In Rio 2011, it wasn't THAT bad!

It's just a result of forum dynamics. People tend to exaggerate such things because it is somewhat trendy to be negative and because they want to be in with the crowd and because disappointment clouds their judgement, and when everyone says the same it becomes a "forum truth". I am not saying it wasn't a bad show, it was, just not as bad as people have been claiming.

It was certainly the worst show since 01/02 , though, which added to the disappointment, and it's only because 11-13 haven't been that great that it doesn't look so bad now.

I liked Estranged, though.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I just figured I might as well share my opinion. I'm still in favor of a reunion of the Classic band and I still don't give a shit about Current band (especially since they haven't done new music yet), I'm just saying, lighten up on Rock In Rio 2011, it wasn't THAT bad!

It's just a result of forum dynamics. People tend to exaggerate such things because it is somewhat trendy to be negative and because they want to be in with the crowd and because disappointment clouds their judgement, and when everyone says the same it becomes a "forum truth". I am not saying it wasn't a bad show, it was, just not as bad as people have been claiming.

It was certainly the worst show since 01/02

Hahaha :). I love it when people make jokes where they deliberately mix up absolute truths with subjective experiences. Hilarious :D

Hahaha :). I love it when people make jokes where they deliberately mix up absolute truths with subjective experiences. Hilarious :D

Well what shows from 06-10 were worse?

Well what shows from 06-10 were worse?

Who cares, it would just be my opinion.

Honestly, and I know how ridiculous it sounds, I remember, for the first and only time in my life, feeling insulted by a performance from a band I support.

I was like "I spend money buying merchandising, albums, travel the country to support them, preach the word about the new members, wake up very early in the morning to see them play and this is how seriously Axl takes his own gig ?"

It was terrible and if it weren't for Fortus and BBF I wouldn't have continued following them after that.

Honestly, and I know how ridiculous it sounds, I remember, for the first and only time in my life, feeling insulted by a performance from a band I support.

I was like "I spend money buying merchandising, albums, travel the country to support them, preach the word about the new members, wake up very early in the morning to see them play and this is how seriously Axl takes his own gig ?"

It was terrible and if it weren't for Fortus and BBF I wouldn't have continued following them after that.

Pretty much this. In just one show I lost a lot of faith in Axl and the band. Standards have been lowered massively since Rio for me, but even that couldn't prepare me for Bridge School. If the guy was genuinely sick on both occasions, I feel bad. It seems he was actually sick at Bridge School, but with Rio '11 I'm not so sure, could have just been lack of prep (there's nobody around to tell him to rehearse, and it's pretty obvious Tommy was pissed at him with that "yeah, I've been good, where the fuck have you been the past year?" comment).

I got a bit of the faith back when I went to the Atlantic City gig in '12, but it's still upsetting that it's 2013 and the only thing that's changed is that Estranged and Civil War are back in the setlist. I feel really naive for expecting new music by the end of 2012. Here's hoping we get some by the end of the year.

I was there and the way I remember it, it was a huge let down for me because of the setlist. If you switched Estranged with Maddy and added Rosie, it'd be the exact same setlist as Rio 2010.

Add that to the fact that crazy two-page setlist leaked and I saw it when waiting for Guns N' Roses to come in. Yeah, I thought I'd hear There Was A Time, Oh My God and Going Down.

Also, it was raining A LOT. I was freezing. I was tired beyond belief, hungry, thirsty and so freakin' cold! I remember the concert having this weird dark, depressing vibe that started with that awful sorry performance. If there is one image I remember about RiR4 is the moment Axl says "but you know that isn't true" with that wet make-up dripping from his eyes and a strange doped look that was actually scary.

But one thing's for sure: I only knew how bad his voice was the next day I watched the stream I had recorded. And I turned on denial mode, which was ridiculous of me. I wouldn't admit how bad it was here or to friends in college, that commented how fat and decadent Axl was the following days.

it's still upsetting that it's 2013 and the only thing that's changed is that Estranged and Civil War are back in the setlist.

Hahaha, you are great fun today :).

Well, what else has changed? Snark isn't exactly a great riposte.

I love GNR, which is why it's upsetting to me to see what a state it's in. I want the best for them, but I can't deny when things are bad.

it's still upsetting that it's 2013 and the only thing that's changed is that Estranged and Civil War are back in the setlist.

Well, what else has changed?

Well, you said that the only thing that has changed is that Estranged and Civil War is back in the set, so I assume you are talking about what has changed since before these songs were introduced, which would be 2010. From the top of my head: new solos from more or less every band member, Catcher played regularly lately, TWAT played a lot at the LV residency, new covers like The Seeker, Riff Raff and Don't Let It Bring You Down, and a setlist that's increased from about 19 songs in 2010 (on average) to about 24 songs on average in 2012 (that is actually 5 more songs added!).

So it is still 2013, as you said, but a lot of things have changed since 2010. But I guess you only count new, original music, and then I am sorry to say that you probably have to wait for a while still.

Well, what else has changed?

Well, you said that the only thing that has changed is that Estranged and Civil War is back in the set, so I assume you are talking about what has changed since before these songs were introduced, which would be 2010. From the top of my head: new solos from more or less every band member, Catcher played regularly lately, TWAT played a lot at the LV residency, new covers like The Seeker, Riff Raff and Don't Let It Bring You Down, and a setlist that's increased from about 19 songs in 2010 (on average) to about 24 songs on average in 2012 (that is actually 5 more songs added!).

So it is still 2013, as you said, but a lot of things have changed since 2010. But I guess you only count new, original music, and then I am sorry to say that you probably have to wait for a while still.

I'm happy that TWAT was played regularly at the residency (and a bit miffed I've seen the band 12 times since 2010 and still haven't heard it :max: ), and I've mentioned in other threads that I'm glad SOD has been replaced with Catcher. But I can't think of many other high-profile bands where the current lead guitarist (or at least one of them) has been in the band for 4 years and we still haven't heard them contribute to a song to the band they're in. I can't see how it's unreasonable to expect the lead guitarist of the band to be on some recorded material after 4 years.

I don't think it was nearly as bad as people make out, for example had Axl pulled in that performance in the 2013 legs, it'd not be nearly as sltated as it is.

Its just that it came right after the best Axl vocals for the best part of 20 years, so to go from rip-roaring powerful rasp to something far less impressive was a monumental jump and probably made it seem worse than it is.

He was very hit and miss that night...Jungle and the 2nd half of November rain were a disgrace...

I'd argue Rock In Rio as no worse than any of the pro streams that we've had, at least vocally, for the most part (though as I said, Jungle vocally was a train-wreck!)

When Axl FUCKED UP the VMA's, he still had good years ahead.

When Axl FUCKED UP RIR 2011 / Bridgeschool.... we could easily say those years are fucking gone.

Sorry Axl, when you suck that bad live, it's time to suck it up and practice. That's why they call you a has been instead of James Hetfield.

Edited by jimb0

I think Axl had been drinking a lil too much the night before. And eating too many cheetos for the previous year. Maybe taking a few pills. And not remembering lyrics. And then the rain came down, and it was cold, and he got exposed.

NOTE: I'm not sure if this is in the right section so if this needs to be moved than so be it.

Anyway, I never actually saw the full Rock In Rio 2011 gig, only "Estranged" and "November Rain" and yeah, those sucked. But for shits and giggles I went and saw the whole gig and now I have one question to ask...why the fuck were all you bitching when this gig happened?

It wasn't that bad, man. Compared to the recent Malaysia gig this year (which pretty much killed Current GnR for me) this RIR 2011 show actually pretty decent. Axl's voice wasn't at it's best, but it wasn't terrible like it is this year.

Both shows sucks

/thread

When Axl FUCKED UP the VMA's, he still had good years ahead.

When Axl FUCKED UP RIR 2011 / Bridgeschool.... we could easily say those years are fucking gone.

Sorry Axl, when you suck that bad live, it's time to suck it up and practice. That's why they call you a has been instead of James Hetfield.

James has not sounded like James for at least 10 years. It's actually worst than Axl.