Re-Evaluating Rock In Rio 2011

rocknroll41

NOTE: I'm not sure if this is in the right section so if this needs to be moved than so be it.

Anyway, I never actually saw the full Rock In Rio 2011 gig, only "Estranged" and "November Rain" and yeah, those sucked. But for shits and giggles I went and saw the whole gig and now I have one question to ask...why the fuck were all you bitching when this gig happened?

It wasn't that bad, man. Compared to the recent Malaysia gig this year (which pretty much killed Current GnR for me) this RIR 2011 show actually pretty decent. Axl's voice wasn't at it's best, but it wasn't terrible like it is this year.

I just figured I might as well share my opinion. I'm still in favor of a reunion of the Classic band and I still don't give a shit about Current band (especially since they haven't done new music yet), I'm just saying, lighten up on Rock In Rio 2011, it wasn't THAT bad!

Edited by rocknroll41

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

so you're telling me there's a show which is worse than RIR 4? God, things are bad for GNR...

Well yeah I went and watched RIR 2011 after watching some of Malaysia 2013 so I guess what I'm trying to say is that things have gotten worse since 2011, yes.

so you're telling me there's a show which is worse than RIR 4? God, things are bad for GNR...

In a heartbeat, it's easily Bridge School. The gig was terrible. Sure, the acoustic stuff was all cool, but I've never actually been so embarrassed about Axl in my life. His voice was terrible. Needed a little bit of rasp.

In a heartbeat, it's easily Bridge School. The gig was terrible. Sure, the acoustic stuff was all cool, but I've never actually been so embarrassed about Axl in my life. His voice was terrible. Needed a little bit of rasp.

At least he didn't forget his own lyrics, like RIR4.

As much as I bust Axl's balls, I remember the months leading up to Rio, and I do remember a lot of people drenched in curiosity. His voice was top notch when we last saw him. We knew about this show for months, and knew how it'd be broadcast live all over the world on youtube. I'm sure he knew for even longer but will probably play dumb (*cough OMG was a demo, what 2002 tour!?!?! *cough :jerkoff:) He had nothing on the schedule for all of 2011. I think everybody thought something...big...was gonna go down that night. Whether it'd be news songs, an album announcement, etc. Mind you, this was well before the CONSTANT touring of same ol', same ol' (hard to remember, I know). Even the most critical members such as myself were giving him the benefit of the doubt.

And then he blew it. And that's where I gave up any hope for Axl's future. There was really no excuse for his lack of professionalism that night, and made a complete and total ass of himself in front of the biggest audience he had watching him since the 2002 VMAs. Everytime I take a gander at those performances, it's just heart breaking. I never agreed with his use of the name and all that, but I truly do love Axl as a musician and did want better for him than this. It's tragic how far from grace he's fallen.

Edited by Bobbo

As much as I bust Axl's balls, I remember the months leading up to Rio, and I do remember a lot of people drenched in curiosity. His voice was top notch when we last saw him. We knew about this show for months, and knew how it'd be broadcast live all over the world on youtube. I'm sure he knew for even longer but will probably play dumb (*cough OMG was a demo, what 2002 tour!?!?! *cough :jerkoff:) He had nothing on the schedule for all of 2011. I think everybody thought something...big...was gonna go down that night. Whether it'd be news songs, an album announcement, etc. Mind you, this was well before the CONSTANT touring of same ol', same ol' (hard to remember, I know). Even the most critical members such as myself were giving him the benefit of the doubt.

And then he blew it. And that's where I gave up any hope for Axl's future. There was really no excuse for his lack of professionalism that night, and made a complete and total ass of himself in front of the biggest audience he had watching him since the 2002 VMAs. Everytime I take a gander at those performances, it's just heart breaking. I never agreed with his use of the name and all that, but I truly do love Axl as a musician and did want better for him than this. It's tragic how far from grace he's fallen.

Great post, Bobbo.

I remember being so excited for the stream, waiting all day and staying up at night, and even my girlfriend at the time waited up to see the first song. Then, when it kicked on and Axl started singing, I knew something was up, and almost felt embarrassed. Then Jungle came out and it only when downhill from there.

Estranged was pretty much the only good thing about that show.

I remember being so excited for the stream, waiting all day and staying up at night, and even my girlfriend at the time waited up to see the first song. Then, when it kicked on and Axl started singing, I knew something was up, and almost felt embarrassed. Then Jungle came out and it only when downhill from there.

Estranged was pretty much the only good thing about that show.

Same thoughts here. I actually talked up the live stream to my friends and then out came that yellow raincoat.

I'd be curious to watch the whole gig again to re-evaluate it but my thoughts on it now (and at the time) were that it wasn't quite as bad as people make it out to be. Certainly it was not a good show, at all. But the weather was really bad, circumstances were chaotic, and I do cut some slack for forgetting the lyrics. Folks, it happens to everyone, once in a while. Just because you have something memorized does not mean you will be able to recall it in front of 100,000 people 100% of the time. And the raincoat was just a joke. Some songs were decent, but the performances of November Rain and Patience were truly awful.

you can look it 360, it was bullshit all around!!!

Rain did not help, 2 hrs usual delay neither. On top Axl new onstage with months of not preparation, practice, rehearsals.

That much is true... It's going down in music history as one the worst and biggest rock concerts.

I just figured I might as well share my opinion. I'm still in favor of a reunion of the Classic band and I still don't give a shit about Current band (especially since they haven't done new music yet), I'm just saying, lighten up on Rock In Rio 2011, it wasn't THAT bad!

It's just a result of forum dynamics. People tend to exaggerate such things because it is somewhat trendy to be negative and because they want to be in with the crowd and because disappointment clouds their judgement, and when everyone says the same it becomes a "forum truth". I am not saying it wasn't a bad show, it was, just not as bad as people have been claiming.