The Axl hacks: truth, or attempts to save face?

Guest NGOG

Then there was the instance where 'Dexter', the account from which Axl conducted various chats in 2008, posted to claim there would be a new GNR record in 2012. While one of the then mods suggested he didn't see anything suspicious about the post, the post was later blamed again, on a hacker.

I can't speak for the Twitter incident, but the Dexter account hack was 100% true. The same person that hacked Beta's email (by guessing her secret question is what I assume) was the perpetrator.

I know this, because the IP address that posted that message belonged to another (infrequent) user here... someone Brazilian and quite young, from what I recall.

Dexter should return here

Not to be obtuse, but why would that be beneficial ?

*Some* people here make it difficult, if not impossible, in addition to a hostile atmosphere for anyone closely associated with GNR to speak here, remember the "rousing welcome" afforded Ron/BBF by a small handful of members here?

Perhaps, he could ignore such posters no?

Also, keep in mind that many people have passwords of big stars twitter, forums, facebook accounts as they use them to post stuff for them. I am not saying that is what happened in these cases, just saying it is not out of reason.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Then there was the instance where 'Dexter', the account from which Axl conducted various chats in 2008, posted to claim there would be a new GNR record in 2012. While one of the then mods suggested he didn't see anything suspicious about the post, the post was later blamed again, on a hacker.

I can't speak for the Twitter incident, but the Dexter account hack was 100% true. The same person that hacked Beta's email (by guessing her secret question is what I assume) was the perpetrator.

I know this, because the IP address that posted that message belonged to another (infrequent) user here... someone Brazilian and quite young, from what I recall.

*Some* people here make it difficult, if not impossible, in addition to a hostile atmosphere for anyone closely associated with GNR to speak here, remember the "rousing welcome" afforded Ron/BBF by a small handful of members here?

Also, keep in mind that many people have passwords of big stars twitter, forums, facebook accounts as they use them to post stuff for them. I am not saying that is what happened in these cases, just saying it is not out of reason.

High just confirmed a hack, don't think he has any grounds to lie about it.

Don't see why a handful of obnoxious posters should have to be ignored, they should be persona non gratis after the episode w/Ron IMO.

It's a shame to alienate the band members to which the forum is supposedly dedicated to but that seems to be the case here.

I actually fully agree with what you have to say here.

Thanks, gracias- appreciated :thumbsup:

Don't see why a handful of obnoxious posters should have to be ignored, they should be persona non gratis after the episode w/Ron IMO.

It's a shame to alienate the band members to which the forum is supposedly dedicated to but that seems to be the case here.

I didn't say he lied about it, in fact I KNOW he didn't ;)

I was referring more towards twitter and also that "hack" is a strong word, perhaps the person got the password from someone who was supposed to have it kinda thing.

The word hack is seldom correct these days...

Edited by gunsguy

I was referring more towards twitter and also that "hack" is a strong word, perhaps the person got the password from someone who was supposed to have it kinda thing.

This is true. In our case, it was the password reset tool used in conjunction with the compromised email which led to Dexter's account here being compromised.

In terms of Axl (or another band member) returning here; had the staff been given any notice that someone was going to post or join the chat, it wouldn't have gone down as badly as it did. We would have had people on-hand to deal with the trolls, no question.

Unfortunately, we were caught off-guard on both occasions, and what happened, happened. I'm sure the board is still browsed by many within the camp, but I don't see anyone posting here anytime soon.

This is true. In our case, it was the password reset tool used in conjunction with the compromised email which led to Dexter's account here being compromised.

In terms of Axl (or another band member) returning here; had the staff been given any notice that someone was going to post or join the chat, it wouldn't have gone down as badly as it did. We would have had people on-hand to deal with the cupcakes, no question.

Unfortunately, we were caught off-guard on both occasions, and what happened, happened. I'm sure the board is still browsed by many within the camp, but I don't see anyone posting here anytime soon.

Sad but true HV, it escalated rapidly and there was no advance warning, but unfortunate as that is, the perception of this particular site as hostile remains, regardless of extenuating circumstances, and regardless of the fact that a small handful of people made the entire forum look bad - hindsight is 20/20.

I understand "hacked" can loosely be applied to a myriad of situations in cyberland- my WC account was straight up jacked , some lovely person "acquired" my password, changed my email and made it inaccessible, in addition to using it to attempt to post in my inimitable style :lol:

The pw was changed on this acct but was able to recover it with much needed help!

What I was so adamant over were the insane assumptions that the hack/lost pwd/blah blah, were all erroneous excuses and that cyber diagnoses by unqualified cyber-psychs were the only possible explanation, sort of a silly spin - even for the internet fount of misinformation .

Sad but true HV, it escalated rapidly and there was no advance warning, but unfortunate as that is, the perception of this particular site as hostile remains, regardless of extenuating circumstances, and regardless of the fact that a small handful of people made the entire forum look bad - hindsight is 20/20.

Despite the staff being "pro-Axl" for the most part, I think that perception of the site's user-base (hostile) is fair I guess. It's not just the band that thinks that - it's other forums, ex-members and others.

I don't particularly like that label, but we're not going to change the way we run the site (and remove all the negative posts) to give off some impression that most posts are positive here. They aren't. It is what it is.

I do think that most of the negativity is borne from frustration and boredom though; any time we get a sniff of new music or a bit of exciting news, the mood here changes dramatically. That means that the people here are, or at least have the capacity to be, fans... they've just been let down a few too many times with the same story. It wouldn't take a huge amount of change from within the GN'R camp to turn it all around.

Despite the staff being "pro-Axl" for the most part, I think that perception of the site's user-base (hostile) is fair I guess. It's not just the band that thinks that - it's other forums, ex-members and others.

I don't particularly like that label, but we're not going to change the way we run the site (and remove all the negative posts) to give off some impression that most posts are positive here. They aren't. It is what it is.

I do think that most of the negativity is borne from frustration and boredom though; any time we get a sniff of new music or a bit of exciting news, the mood here changes dramatically. That means that the people here are, or at least have the capacity to be, fans... they've just been let down a few too many times with the same story. It wouldn't take a huge amount of change from within the GN'R camp to turn it all around.

I see the point of "people being negative" because of points A, B, C- but personally I don't think the "bittler unfan diatribes" are going to alter anything in the long run, negativity isn't a behavior to be rewarded, in my book at least. Then again you have some people who undoubtedly feel it is cathartic to come strolling in on a daily basis explicitly to express varying degrees of hatred/dislike for virtually everything GNR- I'm sure some are simply seeking attention for some unknown reason, but others appear to be a bit pathological (not diagnosing, simply observing).

The *entitlement* issue is alive and well, but honestly seeing how every issue is micro-analyzed to death, I'm sure there are more than enough justifiable reasons not to release any more info than is necessary - it's not paranoia if they are really out to get you. :)

Enjoyed the repartee' HV - thanks for the assistance, take it easy- gotta bounce and catch up on some work I drug home w/me - distasteful but necessary!

i don't think axl or the band have time to post here because they're busy posting on the official gnr fanclub, where they can be assured nobody will mock them. also, posting on the official site rewards their most dedicated fans, who paid the yearly subscription fee to support the band and have special access.

A brazilian quite young person. Hmmm... i can only think of Manets, Manets was it you?

A brazilian quite young person. Hmmm... i can only think of Manets, Manets was it you?

?

if you guys want to foster a more pro-axl forum, i feel you guys need to be more active in participating and leading conversations. you, zint and subs used to be the best posters around here, but you've all but vanished. i feel like we only see you when you are forced to pop your heads out and scold the community for going in its own direction with conversations. maybe you guys are burned out on nugnr and don't have much to say. or maybe you guys are having interesting conversations in the mods only section of the forum. if that's the case, it's a shame. i miss reading your opinions. and i think sharing you guys' opinions, as the heads of the forum and the community, could go a looooooong way towards fostering the kind of community you claim to want. in your absence, others end up leading the conversation.

The lack of communication on Axl's behalf and 'Team Brazil' management added to the complete ignorance of what's going on with the 'band' from the other players, results in a general sense of frustration and disrespect from the (true) fan base. It's only natural human behavior...don't make a case out of it.

Edited by trqster

if you guys want to foster a more pro-axl forum, i feel you guys need to be more active in participating and leading conversations.

I don't see the problem. It is obvious by the unnecessary accommodation of cupcakes and anti-fans that the admins' objective is not to creative a fan friendly site. If people don't like it here then they can just migrate to any of a dozen real GN'R fan sites. I actually prefer a place where all the cupcakes can gather, it keeps the other sites much better.

The lack of communication on Axl's behalf and 'Team Brazil' management added to the complete ignorance of what's going on with the 'band' from the other players, results in a general sense of frustration and disrespect from the (true) fan base. It's only natural human behavior...don't make a case out of it.

Exactly.

according to the emails that were stolen from beta and held hostage by MSL, axl would regularly go on a manic depressive whirlwind and attempt to quit or dissolve, but then beta would talk him off the ledge and keep the cash cow flowing.

Yes. On 2002 when he cancelled the tour, that's exactly what happened. He was about to check himself into a psychiatric hospital. Yet, people still bash you if you say Axl's is literally crazy and mentally disabled.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=8172

YOU know nothing.

It's a shame to alienate the band members to which the forum is supposedly dedicated to

You've got it straight backward as to who alienated whom. I don't know exactly what went down with Ron, but he walked into an atmosphere created by Axl.

But maybe I'm just out to get Axl like the rest of the world (minus Lebeis').