Will new GNR ever become classic?

izzydoezit

The media has its agenda.

the media has its agenda against axl rose. why axl doesn't show up to public media events like the GNR HOF or the 2013 HOF

No agenda bullshit there. Axl was shat upon by the public and the HOF and his band was spitted out of the HOF induction. So it was an ego thing. Going there would be admitting his own failure. And Axl is known for never admitting to anything he has done wrong or not well enough.

His ridiculousness peaked by saying that he couldn't write music because of Slash and Stephanie. He is a person that has never blamed himself for anything. It's just so ridiculous.

if there is no media agenda with axl, why didn't the media embrace chinese democracy and help it be a success on the charts with word of mouth and print promotion in newspapers, trade magazines, and the internet?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it because it's accepted that this isn't the classic line up and so what? or is it just pure careerism of people like Bucket or Dj. Are there only that many bands that actually make enough money to survive that it's just beggars can't be choosers?

If they work to make the band greater, THEY will be greater... Paul Stanley made this point eloquently about when Vinnie Vincent was running amok trying to look like the big guitar hero in KISS, trying to kind of upstage them...

the media has its agenda against axl rose. why axl doesn't show up to public media events like the GNR HOF or the 2013 HOF

No agenda bullshit there. Axl was shat upon by the public and the HOF and his band was spitted out of the HOF induction. So it was an ego thing. Going there would be admitting his own failure. And Axl is known for never admitting to anything he has done wrong or not well enough.

His ridiculousness peaked by saying that he couldn't write music because of Slash and Stephanie. He is a person that has never blamed himself for anything. It's just so ridiculous.

if there is no media agenda with axl, why didn't the media embrace chinese democracy and help it be a success on the charts with word of mouth and print promotion in newspapers, trade magazines, and the internet?

I remember seeing ALOT of articles in newspapers, trade magazines and the internet. The media promoted the record as much as they could. People knew Chinese Democracy was coming out, it just depended on whether or not people cared enough about it in the end.

Is it because it's accepted that this isn't the classic line up and so what? or is it just pure careerism of people like Bucket or Dj. Are there only that many bands that actually make enough money to survive that it's just beggars can't be choosers?

If they work to make the band greater, THEY will be greater... Paul Stanley made this point eloquently about when Vinnie Vincent was running amok trying to look like the big guitar hero in KISS, trying to kind of upstage them...
I think CD did make GNR a better band with a more interesting back catalog. It also kind of chronicled or marked all the fallout from what happened.

I guess the current guys could stabablize the band and put out a great record.

Ultimately, people will remember GNR for different reasons but the point is GNR will always be remembered. Whether it be for the attitude of Appetite (applies to most people), the flamboyancy of the Illusions or the complexity of Chinese; GNR have ensured by way of a diversity of great records and indeed characters that people will always recall GNR in some capacity.

Because it sucked as an album, especially compared to all other GNR albums?

2002 lineup is classic now.

I'd say 2002 lineup is all but erased.

AFD era Axl will be re membered by most.

Show a photo of 2013 Axl to someone in the street and I doubt they could tell you who it is.

I view the current band as a group of people living off past glory, allowing Axl to make the most of what time remains.

Lol, did somebody really say that Slash has never blamed himself for anything that happened with the old band? Seriously? Maybe you need to do some research. Axl is the ONLY one of the classic line-up that has refused to take any blame. The ONLY one.

Lol II at people who are still stuck on saying the Media has it out for Axl Rose. Quite possibly the most idiotic belief on this forum. Anybody that seriously believes that the media has a personal vendetta against Axl Rose shouldn't be allowed to voice their opinions in a public forum. For their own good. It is just totally idiotic.

As for the original question.

For now, the answer has to be no.

Simply because Axl and Beta refuse to let the current band release their own music.

You can't become a classic band without releasing your own material. It's impossible.

If Axl and Beta allow the current band to release their own material - at least 4-5 albums worth - then yes, they have the potential to be a hall of fame band.

But until Axl and Beta decide to do that.........then how can anybody say they have a chance to be special? We haven't heard ONE song that this current band has created together.

Lol, did somebody really say that Slash has never blamed himself for anything that happened with the old band? Seriously? Maybe you need to do some research. Axl is the ONLY one of the classic line-up that has refused to take any blame. The ONLY one.

Lol II at people who are still stuck on saying the Media has it out for Axl Rose. Quite possibly the most idiotic belief on this forum. Anybody that seriously believes that the media has a personal vendetta against Axl Rose shouldn't be allowed to voice their opinions in a public forum. For their own good. It is just totally idiotic.

Simply because Axl and Beta refuse to let the current band release their own music.

You can't become a classic band without releasing your own material. It's impossible.

If Axl and Beta allow the current band to release their own material - at least 4-5 albums worth - then yes, they have the potential to be a hall of fame band.

But until Axl and Beta decide to do that.........then how can anybody say they have a chance to be special? We haven't heard ONE song that this current band has created together.

Hey dude quick question.....do you think that just maybe there is some sort of bias with the media and the general public against Axl just like it was for Michael Jackson?

I mean no matter what they would shit on everything MJ did.

...or the media, like virtually everyone else, thought the stuff GNR did up to a certain date was pretty damn good (just like MJ) and the stuff they did after that date was not so good (just like MJ). But I'm sure you're right and it's a conspiracy.

Hey dude quick question.....do you think that just maybe there is some sort of bias with the media and the general public against Axl just like it was for Michael Jackson?

Yes, there is somewhat of a bias against him (not so much anymore as the media just doesn't care about him as much as it used to). However, it's largely due to Axl's eccentric actions that this bias even exists. In addition to that, he often gives fuel to the fire and puts himself in the worst possible situations to be in. So, I don't feel bad for him.

Axl got rid of everyone that could dispute his authority and will...then Gn'R died when Slash & Duff finally left. I don't blame Axl for being a control freak - it's just part of his personality and as an huge Axl fan I respect that. After all geniuses (like Axl) are almost always difficult people to cope with.

The only thing that I blame Axl of is the fact that he kept Gn'R name intact and tried to sell the world his own private vision of Gn'R as if it was as legit as the original band.

Volcano - read IndiannaRose's response.

Just think of the song Get In The Ring. Any media bias against him has been caused by his behavior, ego and treatment of others.

But this is 2013, dude. The media doesn't have a bias against Axl, they just know the general history of his, and he is thought of more as a joke. (Not saying I agree with that).

And you guys can't have it both ways. You say the media is biased against him (stereotyping hundreds of thousands of people) BUT then say that the album got a strong critical response. So the media liked CD but they hate Axl?

Yes, there is somewhat of a bias against him (not so much anymore as the media just doesn't care about him as much as it used to). However, it's largely due to Axl's eccentric actions that this bias even exists. In addition to that, he often gives fuel to the fire and puts himself in the worst possible situations to be in. So, I don't feel bad for him.

I'm surprised by some of the responses here. Never say never folks. It only takes one great song to change everything, and axl is capable of writing a great song. If axl ever writes and records a catchy, great rock song it could happen. I'm not expecting this, but anything is possible. Acdc, van halen, pink floyd, and many other bands survived huge line up changes. Sure times are different and I doubt it will happen, but you never know. If axl has a ycbm part 2 up his sleave, nugnr would gain tons or respect and fans. One hit song changes everything.

But in all honesty I'm expecting a cd part 2. An album that us nugnr fans like, but not a mainstreem hit. If vh can't sell platnium albums with 3/4 original, I doubt a slash less gnr can. But again one hit song changes everything.

With this lineup, one may as well be 100

...or the media, like virtually everyone else, thought the stuff GNR did up to a certain date was pretty damn good (just like MJ) and the stuff they did after that date was not so good (just like MJ). But I'm sure you're right and it's a conspiracy.

Its the damn Conspirators that are conspiring against axl......lol

Many people here consider the new band better in many ways than the old one.

Do you think that the new band will someday achieve a classic status? If yes why? If no why not?

no way

maybe in the eyes of the diehard Axl fans, but 1998-onward GNR never got a classic status. If they drop out 5 albums that rock the world, won 10 grammys etc. NEVER became classic

Edited by Crash Diet

No, they have one album, zero hits and little to no radio airplay. The current incarnation hasn't even released anything.

The majority of people outside of these forums have no interest in this band or new material.

This band is only relevant to a handful of internet nerds.

The last two sentences apply to almost every major veteran rock band.

agreed Mr. Nixon.

Btw thx for Vietnam, i'm sure you burn in hell

No, because the current band means nothing for the vast majority of the world.

Not really...CD came out in a era that classic rock is not relevant anymore, so no matter how good some songs might be, they'll never reach classic cult status. It's just the way it is.

Muse and a few other bands are big enough to be considered classics someday. But in general, electronic-pop and hip hop are ruling.

I don't know how anybody can listen to Muse.

Maybe because they're like the new Queen

Umm okay their last album is not on par with their previous releases, but c'mon...

They aren't bad

No, because the current band means nothing for the vast majority of the world.

Not really...CD came out in a era that classic rock is not relevant anymore, so no matter how good some songs might be, they'll never reach classic cult status. It's just the way it is.

Muse and a few other bands are big enough to be considered classics someday. But in general, electronic-pop and hip hop are ruling.
I don't know how anybody can listen to Muse.
I agree. Even worse, how journalists can compare this band to Queen is beyond my human capacities.

Listen to their older works and you will understand.

Yes, Freddie Mercury was maybe the greatest man singer in the world, but Muse is very comparable to Queen

anyway off topic

Are we talking about a fkn rock band or about a divine entity or something like that? Haha, some of you take rock too seriously. It's just a band, not religion or something like that.

agreed

Classical music is THE music

As much as i love GNR or rock music in general, they suck the classical composers dicks (or pussies)

every one of them

truth is the truth hurst

Edited by Crash Diet

Its not ecactly out to get Axl per se its just they like things a certain way. Its hard to tell the GNR story. A reunion would be supported or even a supergroup. Even the industry. The managers who tried to orchstrate a reunion. Its the obvious thing to do. Where the money is, if not youre an asshole etc. Just because CD doesnt fit with convention they say its terrible.