How come Metallica can do it but Guns cant...

tsunta

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't enjoyed a Metallica album since The Black Album. Everything since has been bad or at best, OK. GNR on the other hand haven't released a record that I do not like.

I would consider buying a ticket for Metallica to hear the material from The Black Anthem and before, whereas when GNR play near here it's imperative that I be there.

Metallica's wealth of releases isn't a valid point in my opinion, I prefer quality over quantity. In the last twenty years Metallica have come nowhere near Chinese Democracy.

I have to say though, four years is a bit long to tour an album (and this applies to Metallica as much as newgnr).

It's wrong to suggest GNR toured Chinese Democracy for four years post-release. Officially, and as reflected in the Chinese heavy sets, the period between 2009 and 2010 was when Axl really strongly promoted Chinese Democracy.

2011 and beyond has merely been 'The GNR Tour'.

Oh, I am not going into all that again. We have had about fifty debates already on here concerning, when the CD Tour begins and ends (if it even has ended)? and nobody seems to agree.

But look on it this way: look on it as, touring bouts between albums (regardless of the name of the tour). Four years touring is too long between albums in my opinion. Then, I was reared on the old Stones and Beatles albums when they used to release 1-2 albums a year. Bands these days are lazy.

Volcano.........regardless of the name of the tour, GnR has toured ONE album over the past 11 years. I saw them in 2001 and they played FOUR CD songs. At the last show of the current touring, they played FOUR CD songs. You need new heroes, warchild/sailway, msl and brainsaber aren't making you look good on here!!!!

NGOG......you are comparing apples to oranges. You are using YOUR personal preference in regards to judging this topic, rather than taking the personal aspect out of it and just comparing the facts.

You enjoy quality over quantity.........duh, we all do. But you are using that as a negative against Metallica and a positive for GnR - simply because you like GnR's music better. That isn't a fair comparision. The question isn't whether or not you like Metallica music, it's a question of why one band CAN release a lot of music while another can't. It has NOTHING to do with your personal preference of who sounsd better.

Let's just use your example and ONLY apply it to GnR.

Quality or quantity.

Axl has released one album of new material in the 15 years he has kept the GnR name alive. By giving him props for that (quality) over other bands, are you implying that you don't think Axl is capable of releasing music more often? You are implying that if Axl doesn't have the talent to release a lot of music and that he needs a good 12-13 years to produce "quality" music.

Let me ask you a few questions:

Do you think Metallica fans wish that they had only released one album in the last 15 years, or are they happy their favorite band constantly releases music?

As a GnR fan, are you happy and satisified that GnR has released one album in the last 15 years? Or would you prefer that Axl had released 5 albums in that time frame? Do you think Axl has the talent and ability to release quality music without it taking a decade to create 15 songs?

Are you happier now with GnR than you were when they released four albums in five years?

I haven't listened to Metallica for a decade. Haven't liked anything they have put out for a very long time. Heck, probably since their cover of Whiskey in a Jar. But I'm not so much of an Axl nutswinger that I justify and praise everything he does. Metallica is a band that cares about their fans. They release a ton of music/material for their fans to enjoy - something Axl does NOT do. Even Beta would have to agree with that statement. You might love Axl's music 100 times more than Metallica - and that's fine! But the facts don't lie. Metallica fan's get new music/videos/updates on a regular basis. GnR fans simply do not. Your musical preference has nothing to do with that.

You and I also differ on judging Axl's talents. I think he could put out an album every three years, shoot music videos and keep the fans updated - and it wouldn't turn into a "quantity over quality" situation like you think it would. NGOG - Axl is extremely talented. If he put his mind to it, the guy could put out amazing music every couple of years. Have some faith in your favorite singer!!!

I haven't enjoyed a Metallica album since The Black Album. Everything since has been bad or at best, OK. GNR on the other hand haven't released a record that I do not like.

I would consider buying a ticket for Metallica to hear the material from The Black Anthem and before, whereas when GNR play near here it's imperative that I be there.

Metallica's wealth of releases isn't a valid point in my opinion, I prefer quality over quantity. In the last twenty years Metallica have come nowhere near Chinese Democracy.

I have to say though, four years is a bit long to tour an album (and this applies to Metallica as much as newgnr).

It's wrong to suggest GNR toured Chinese Democracy for four years post-release. Officially, and as reflected in the Chinese heavy sets, the period between 2009 and 2010 was when Axl really strongly promoted Chinese Democracy.

2011 and beyond has merely been 'The GNR Tour'.
Edited by Groghan

what was the name of the 2001/2 tour again guys?

MSL already explained everything to you.

Why you continue to cupcake with false information is unexplainable.

no he hasn't. i ignore everything he posts because it's bullshit 90% of the time. but i can teach you a lesson or two about actually thinking for yourself if you want. pm me and i'll help you.

Edited by maynard

Maybe because they also released an album in 2003, and 1997 and 1996. Plus Lulu and a few live DVDs/albums.

That and Mettallica is a 'real' band with James Hetfield, Kirk Hemmet and Lars Ulrich being there for a long, long time...

James and Lars are the only original members.

Sorry for my misleading words, yes you're right Kirk is only in Mettalica since 1983, 2 long years after the band was formed....

+ he's on every album

Nevermind Metallica....what Gn'R fans and the media complain the most about Axl's band is not really the lack of new albums (after CD), it's the fact that Axl being the only original/AFD lineup member left, the band can hardly be called Gn'R anymore... And that will never change.

I would buy anything with the name GN'R on it at this point. I mean, even something shitty like Tokyo '92 would be greatly welcomed. Just throw us a bone, a downloadable song on iTunes, a music video, anything.

Edited by EvH

I would buy anything with the name GN'R on it at this point. I mean, even something shitty like Tokyo '92 would be greatly welcomed. Just throw us a bone, a downloadable song on iTunes, a music video, anything.

Well you've had the Better music video and London '12 O2 Pro-shot show (3D Vegas on the way too) leaked recently - there ya have some nice 'bones'...

Well you've had the Better music video and London '12 O2 Pro-shot show (3D Vegas on the way too) leaked recently - there ya have some nice 'bones'...

Of course I already know about that, thanks...I'm not talking 'bout leaks. Metallica releases lots of official material, and that's what would make me happy as a GN'R fan. The London Pro Shot is very disappointing, hope the Vegas one is well-treated.

Oh, I am not going into all that again. We have had about fifty debates already on here concerning, when the CD Tour begins and ends (if it even has ended)? and nobody seems to agree.

But look on it this way: look on it as, touring bouts between albums (regardless of the name of the tour). Four years touring is too long between albums in my opinion. Then, I was reared on the old Stones and Beatles albums when they used to release 1-2 albums a year. Bands these days are lazy.

GNR only really heavily plugged Chinese Democracy in that period though. Stage visuals, promotion, setlists - it was all geared towards Chinese. When that particular tour ground to a halt in late 2010, they then went on a more general tour dropping the Chinese imagery, renaming the legs more blandly and incorporating more of the 'hits'. As I said, embarking on 'The GNR Tour'.

The politics of the industry are completely different to the alluded era. Far more bureaucracy.

Diesel............Axl has actually been playing CD songs for the last 11 years on tour, not just four. I saw them in 2001 and they played FOUR songs off of CD.

But your main point is correct. Axl keeping the GnR name alive......just to release an album every 15 years and constantly tour old music seems pretty ridiculous. Why do you think Axl and Beta won't give this current band a chance to stand on their own two feet?

It doesn't matter what they call the tour, it is still four years touring since an album. In my opinion that is far too long.

A couple of you are missing the point. I'm not sure if you are doing intentionally or to just try and rile people up.

Metallica isn't making music for you (the ones who think they suck). They are making music for their FANS.

So to say that GnR makes better music, you'd rather have one GnR album than 10 Metallica albums - all that has nothing to do with this actual topic. Metallica fans say they same thing about CD.

YOUR personal preference on what type of music you enjoy has nothing to do with how fan-friendly a band is.

The question is how come Metallica puts out albums, videos, dvds, interviews on a regular basis - but GnR can't? The answer to that question has nothing to do with how much you like/dislike Metallica's music.

A couple of you are missing the point. I'm not sure if you are doing intentionally or to just try and rile people up.

Metallica isn't making music for you (the ones who think they suck). They are making music for their FANS.

So to say that GnR makes better music, you'd rather have one GnR album than 10 Metallica albums - all that has nothing to do with this actual topic. Metallica fans say they same thing about CD.

YOUR personal preference on what type of music you enjoy has nothing to do with how fan-friendly a band is.

The question is how come Metallica puts out albums, videos, dvds, interviews on a regular basis - but GnR can't? The answer to that question has nothing to do with how much you like/dislike Metallica's music.

I'd rather 1 Chinese Democracy in 10 years instead of 10 St.Angers

I am a Metallica fan fyi

Sigh. We already went over this.

Again, you are comparing apples to oranges.

NOT considering who the band is or whether or not YOU personally like their music.

Would you rather have Axl's current musical output over the past 15 years?
OR

Would you rather AXL and his various versions of GNR have released 4 albums, 1 live album, 8 music videos and a live DVD over the past 15 years? Plus a functioning fan club, always updating fans on their future plans, and put on FOUR shows for fan club members at the cost of 20 bucks, where they played tons of old songs?

Which option would you pick from Axl?

I'd rather 1 Chinese Democracy in 10 years instead of 10 St.Angers

I am a Metallica fan fyi