Bands a lot of people seem to enjoy, but which you can't get into

TombRaider

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of Blur, Gorillaz. I don't get it.

DUDEEEE!! Listen to Demon Days. Full album. You'll get it.

Albarn is a genius. An animated band pop electronic band. I guess it's where he could expand to outside of Blur and be successful in the US. Journey to the West that record Albarn did, like a version of Monkey. Insanity. The Good, the Bad and The Queen, pretty decent. I haven't really looked at his african stuff, the idea is a bit Paul Simon. Albarn is like the British Axl, he's hugely talented but not really that popular. Stuff like This is a Low, Resigned are epics.

Not to mention "13" is like Blur's Chinese Democracy. No Distance Left to Run is like a prototype This I Love.

Oasis are like the Rolling Stones and Blur are like The Beatles. The roles are reversed.

Damon did criticize Axl at some point, around the time of the Don't Bomb When You Are the Bomb song and also said Kurt wouldn't have killed himself if he liked football. He's kind of like Mike Patton in terms of side projects and keeping busy. But in terms of ballads like This is a Low, To the End, The Universal, Resigned, No Distance plus the crazy songs (Bank Holiday, Trouble in the Message Centre, Jubilee, Advert, Popscene, Song 2, Crazy Beat, Bugman, We've Got a File On You) and more commercial singles, Axl springs to mind. Not the same kind of music but similar mindset, diverse but commercial, experimental but romantic. Not to mention Albarn is crazy and competitive. Song 2 is such an obvious play for the US, that whole album is.

Also, Blur's Self-Titled record they switched from the Kinks, XTC, Beatles influences to American lo-fi like Pavement and Beck. Albarn wrote those early albums but Coxon came in more. 13 is kind of like CD as a break up album and being pretty experimental. Then Think Tank is hip hop and african influences, no Coxon.

Alex James' book, A Bit of Blur is pretty funny. He really seemed to have a great time!

Edited by wasted

I don't like any other song of theirs but that is the fuckin bollocks, even right down to that exact video and the way they perform it, it's got a proper dancey groove to it, it's straight ahead, it's energetic, it's jittery sounding, like it's coked up, even the way the lead guy holds his fuckin' guitar, up to his tits like it was 1961, it just all looks different, quirky, the croaky drummers backing vocals help the pacing along, like there's someone 5 miles behind the track, the way he sings and sounds exactly like what and who he is, no matter what sorts of people there are out there that reckon singing shouldn't be that way, even down to the lyrics and the way that last line before the chorus is all crammed in and pacey bringing you right up to that pay off chorus, that "lighting the fuse might result in a bang b-b-bang, go!", it's all a little quirky, a little different, it has something and in recent years it's absolutely the best fuckin' debut single i've heard, it's just a shame nothing else they did was quite in that sort of direction.

I think its note perfect from one end to the other :)

If you like stuff like that then I got some recommendations for you