What's next for furture GNR touring venues in the US?

PirateRadio

RIght now he's in full festival mode, with a sprinkle of UCAP. Those are obviously the only crowds he can pull at this point. I hope you understand he's doing this because that's all he can do. He cannot do stadiums (obviously), he cannot not do arenas (because...why wouldn't he if he could? Way more money). So what's next? What's the venue scenario for live GNR in the US going to be for the next, say, 12 months?

festivals and small clubs. i have the feeling that if they tour europe and SA again, there will be a decrease in attendance too. I mean, they've been touring for too long now, less and less people are interested in GNR as a live band.

I think the problem is they're over saturating the markets. If they'd take a break for a while, they could play larger venues again. They've always done very well attendance-wise in Texas, but Dallas and Houston were UCAP shows on this leg (San Antonio probably would've been or wouldn't have had a show at all if it weren't for the festival). Meanwhile they were playing a larger venue in Lubbock than either major TX city (Can't speak on the actual attendance for Lubbock but it was likely higher than a 1,200 person capacity HOB). Buffalo, where they haven't been in 20 years, had 5,000 tickets sold the day before the show and more the day of - that's very good for a Wednesday night in Buffalo.

If they'd take 2 years off and pump out the new album and take some time to do their solo stuff, they'd have no problem getting back into larger venues.

I think the problem is they're over saturating the markets. If they'd take a break for a while, they could play larger venues again. They've always done very well attendance-wise in Texas, but Dallas and Houston were UCAP shows on this leg (San Antonio probably would've been or wouldn't have had a show at all if it weren't for the festival). Meanwhile they were playing a larger venue in Lubbock than either major TX city (Can't speak on the actual attendance for Lubbock but it was likely higher than a 1,200 person capacity HOB). Buffalo, where they haven't been in 20 years, had 5,000 tickets sold the day before the show and more the day of - that's very good for a Wednesday night in Buffalo.

If they'd take 2 years off and pump out the new album and take some time to do their solo stuff, they'd have no problem getting back into larger venues.

Ya think...? I have the feeling that their US arena days are over. The only thing that would support a headlining arena tour would be promoting a full new album. No DVD's or smaller releases. If they somehow got the sponsors they need for an arena tour, which I think is impossible at this point, it would end abruptly and badly due to low ticket sales. The GNR excuses would of course sound much different. But the end would be because of empty seats.

I have a hard time using the attendance at the recent festivals as a strong case for a fan base. People plan on going to festivals to hang out for hours and have fun. They know there will be a band there that they've heard of and know some songs....Guns N Roses is definitely the poster child for this these days, and they know it. These people will not pay $100 plus all the over costs of going to an arena. The UCAP crowd would...but that's a much smaller crowd every single day. It's not magically getter bigger just because Chi Dem is for free at a dollar store, and being downloaded on your computer via a virus whenever you search Guns N' Roses Chinese Democracy on Amazon.

Ya think...? I have the feeling that their US arena days are over. The only thing that would support a headlining arena tour would be promoting a full new album. No DVD's or smaller releases. If they somehow got the sponsors they need for an arena tour, which I think is impossible at this point, it would end abruptly and badly due to low ticket sales. The GNR excuses would of course sound much different. But the end would be because of empty seats.

I have a hard time using the attendance at the recent festivals as a strong case for a fan base. People plan on going to festivals to hang out for hours and have fun. They know there will be a band there that they've heard of and know some songs....Guns N Roses is definitely the poster child for this these days, and they know it. These people will not pay $100 plus all the over costs of going to an arena. The UCAP crowd would...but that's a much smaller crowd every single day. It's not magically getter bigger just because Chi Dem is for free at a dollar store, and being downloaded on your computer via a virus whenever you search Guns N' Roses Chinese Democracy on Amazon.

I just think the touring for the past few years played a part in the venues getting smaller. If they toured in 3-5 years, they'd prob. be playing arenas. Some bands that can't fill arenas start closing off the nosebleeds and block out sections.

I just think the touring for the past few years played a part in the venues getting smaller. If they toured in 3-5 years, they'd prob. be playing arenas. Some bands that can't fill arenas start closing off the nosebleeds and block out sections.

No faux arena situations. Just the real deal....Not a 2014 Camaro that has a six cylinder.

Unless theirs a reunion they will only be able to sell 5k tickets except in a few markets. Toronto. New York. So they will have to stick to small arenas or festivals. Regardless if theirs a new album or not.

Unless theirs a reunion they will only be able to sell 5k tickets except in a few markets. Toronto. New York. So they will have to stick to small arenas or festivals. Regardless if theirs a new album or not.

This is major. The theory that Axl doesn't play for the money is completely bogus, so now that he's had his ass handed to him, he will become more curious about the logistics of the more profitable reunion.

Guest charlie555

I don't think so. CD wasn't exactly a raging success and didn't receive any significant sort of acclaim or encourage that many new fans. A new album, sadly, would be irrelevant in relation to attendance numbers (unless of course it was amazing and had widespread popularity - from CD's success I doubt it)

What you have is the fact that Axl had 8 or however many years off in between touring so there was naturally a spike in 2002 and 2006 to come and see GnR in its new form - pure curiosity. But that was more because of the enigma that is Axl Rose rather than 'oh shit, might get to hear maddy tonight!!! yay'. Now we are in the current situation where GnR can't sell out an arena that they sold out in 2006.

I'm not trying to get into an argument, but I just feel like telling it as it is. In my view all that a new album would encourage would be the thousand or so hard-core forum fans coming to see GnR (who probably would attend anyway!)

festivals and small clubs. i have the feeling that if they tour europe and SA again, there will be a decrease in attendance too. I mean, they've been touring for too long now, less and less people are interested in GNR as a live band.

Yeah, markets are getting saturated. I still think it's viable, though, especially in some of the more neglected markets which they have just barely started to tap into (SEA, India, etc)....and South America, always South America :).

I don't think so. CD wasn't exactly a raging success and didn't receive any significant sort of acclaim or encourage that many new fans. A new album, sadly, would be irrelevant in relation to attendance numbers (unless of course it was amazing and had widespread popularity - from CD's success I doubt it)

What you have is the fact that Axl had 8 or however many years off in between touring so there was naturally a spike in 2002 and 2006 to come and see GnR in its new form - pure curiosity. But that was more because of the enigma that is Axl Rose rather than 'oh shit, might get to hear maddy tonight!!! yay'. Now we are in the current situation where GnR can't sell out an arena that they sold out in 2006.

I'm not trying to get into an argument, but I just feel like telling it as it is. In my view all that a new album would encourage would be the thousand or so hard-core forum fans coming to see GnR (who probably would attend anyway!)

I think you're exactly right. A reunion (which I see is the topic of half the new threads today) is the only answer to staying relevant.

They He needs to bring back Paul Tobias Slash to attract the masses !

Fixed it for ya.

Touring figures in the US/Canada, with the exception of a few markets, have been basically the same for 2002, 2006, and 2011. The 2006 tour was actually the most successful in terms of overall ticket sales and average gross

In comparison to the 2002 tour, the 2011 was virtually identical, only it was driven down by the performance of several smaller gigs, and the lack of shows at two of GnR's most successful markets in the new era, Toronto and/or NYC (MSG), both of which were good for the largest audiences (by a good margin) when they those cities in 2002 and 2006

You can't oversaturate the market. They just did an arena tour in 2011; they need to wait another year or two before doing so again, but they'll be able to do it and draw solid crowds.

I would just love for them to come to The Fillmore in San Francisco. They've seemingly played in Texas a bazillion times in the last three years alone, but haven't been in the Bay Area once during that span. It's ultra frustrating considering that the Fillmore is a perfect UCAP venue.

That being said, I'd take new music over more touring in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem like an option...