If a reunion were to happen, how shocked would you be and how do you think it would go down?

Towelie

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd never listen to GNR ever again

Do you own or listen to any Guns albums pre Chinese? You shouldn't, you'd be living a lie.

Funny you mention that...I do own all their albums but I don't listen to them.

I'll put in CD once and while but it's all about the live shows now for me.

lmao - the live shows --

i'm sorry to talk about a poster but seriously, if volcano is really telling the truth, he's more delusional and bitter than axl himself. i'm sorry for the guy, IF it's true. but i still think it's trolling.

I just wish all of the fans could not take such hardline positions on this. It's just a band, it's just music. It's not really important in the grand scheme of things.

There is another reason why it wouldn't work: Axl's control of the name. Would Axl's ego allow him to relinquish the name and form a partnership again. Would the other members agree to become salarymen? The answer I feel is 'no' to both of those questions.

I'd be shocked. Utterly shocked. I just can't see it happening at this point

But it'd be leaps and bounds above what we have now for sure. Having a nostalgic act with all or most of the people who created the nostalgia in the first place for people who didn't have a chance to see it. The whole "cash grab" thing to me is nonsense especially when comparing it to the situation now. Bumble, Stinson, and Fortus have all given interviews in the past stating they weren't even fans of GNR prior to being hired by Axl. Yet, playing those songs they weren't even fans of have been the highlight of what they've done with Axl. Gee, I wonder what the main motivating factor has been there? :rolleyes: .

Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven, and Matt are all friends, and seem to really still have a lot of chemistry when they get together and play. Axl, Izzy, Duff, and Matt seem to be back on good terms, and Axl, Izzy, and Duff seemed to really gel together well when they played together. So the only real big dramatic dilemma among the members is between Axl and Slash which would have to be worked out between them for Axl to consider a reunion anyways. And Dizzy would go where Axl would tell him to go, and make nice with whom he says to make nice with, let's be real here. Dizzy is the definition of a sock puppet. So that's all been blown out of proportion.

But again, it'd sadly never happen, and personally I'd only ideally want it to happen if they all wanted it to, and Axl got his voice back up to consistently decent at least. But compared to what we have now, yeah I'd want the real deal instead regardless.

I don't think this will happen but if the current line up had effectively disbanded prior to a reunion anyway. BBF had left, Ashba off with Motley I could see a reunion that might be a hybrid of old and new. Axl would bring Dizzy no doubt but I think he might bring Pitman too. If Izzy didn't want to be involved, which is always possible, he might even bring Fortus in his place. Although I suppose the others would want Gilby.

The possibility of Tommy leaving for The Mats and Duff returning (again don't think this will actually happen) could go some way to repairing things with Slash.

There is another reason why it wouldn't work: Axl's control of the name. Would Axl's ego allow him to relinquish the name and form a partnership again. Would the other members agree to become salarymen? The answer I feel is 'no' to both of those questions.

Haha, yep. But for the sake of the discussion I think the premise is that such problems would be solved. But then all other kinds of problems and differences that prevent a reunion must be solved, too, including changing the personalities of the people involved, basically turning them back to their 80s selves. And then even I would get giddy about a reunion.

axl got the name in 91 so it's not new for them. sure they really wanted it back after the break up but i don't think it would be that much of an issue. they're still going to make a lot of money and be more relevant that they'd been in years.

but axl is not going to go back to 91 axl magically and they wont have that magical chemistry again. and if they're best song written together is going to be Anastasia with axl singing on top of it ill take the stuff in the vault. atleast then if it's bad it's not original gnr.

Edited by useyorappetite

axl got the name in 91 so it's not new for them. sure they really wanted it back after the break up but i don't think it would be that much of an issue. they're still going to make a lot of money and be more relevant that they'd been in years.

I disagree. I think the name thing in the end is the main reason they split up. Slash and Duff only signed away the name because they were intoxicated and frightened that Axl would cause riots for not showing up. But despite that, it was thrashed out furiously by their lawyers. And the period when Slash and Duff were in fact salary men did not exactly work, did it? Slash barely lasted three months as a contract player (July-October 1996). Duff lasted a bit longer (July 1996 - August 1997). What makes you think that Slash and Duff would re-enter into that position again. You have to remember, if reunion negotiations occured all three would have bargaining positions which they would use to obtain the best deal.

but axl is not going to go back to 91 axl magically and they wont have that magical chemistry again. and if they're best song written together is going to be Anastasia with axl singing on top of it ill take the stuff in the vault. atleast then if it's bad it's not original gnr.

I agree that the "name" wouldn't be a problem. In the end, Duff and Slash both signed the name over, that's their problem. Axl is not to blame there.

However, percentages of money could be an issue. Axl would probably ask for a higher %, something the others wouldn't agree on.

axl has more control issues than money issues. and if a reunion happens and fails axl has to go solo so he loses what he already has. so i think he'd make sure noone can quite on him this time around if he can. he'll probably won't do it that means admitting failure. maybe if he finds some success with this band first.

what exactly was in 96 contract? i'm pretty sure band was dissolving before that. otherwise why would axl suddenly do that?

what exactly was in 96 contract? i'm pretty sure band was dissolving before that. otherwise why would axl suddenly do that?

This is after Axl had dissolved the partnership (which occured, December 1995). It occured in the summer of 1996:

"We signed some document that we'd agree to have put in escrow for a certain amount of time to see if we could work things out. But if we didn't agree to put the terms into effect by certain point, the contract would be null and void, so I signed and let it go. [...] I was forced into a secondary role, while Axl was now offically at the helm if I officially let the escrow contract become effective." (Slash, Autobiography).

obviously, a gnr reunion is more exciting than seeing axl with a bunch of nobodies covering afd and a couple of mediocre cd songs.

a gnr reunion is also more exciting than seeing slash performing with such a mediocre singer as myles kennedy.

i wouldn't be shocked if a reunion happened, just extremely happy.

Edited by pepsicoca

Anyone who posts on this board but says they never want to see a reunion is so full of crap it's pathetic. .

+1

I don't want to see a reunion, it just wouldn't work. Too much water under the bridge. I saw them at their peak and I think if they got together now it would be a big let down for them and the fans..

You're full of crap for not respecting other peoples opinion, who made you forum dictator?

Of all the absolute shit that gets spewed on this board every day, you pick this to zero in on and call me a dictator??? Get over yourself.

I'd be happy if they did it, but it should be for the people who never got to see them back in the day. I think the people who saw them back in would be reluctant to want to see something they'd rather leave as a fond memory.

oh contrair...id drag all our aging asses out and bring the kids. If it was a serious effort ...a sincere effort all the better...it certainly cant be any worse than what we are witnessing now.

I would be very shocked since Axl has said it will never happen and no amount of money offered would change his mind.

If it did happen, of course most fans would love it, but if there was a tour, be prepared for ticket prices that match the Stones or Bon Jovi because the management would know fans would pay high prices to see it.

I honestly hope Axl sticks to his guns and doesn't give in to pressures. Many bands that have broken up, stayed broken up and have moved on, but some like The Eagles have come back solely for the money since most of them hate each other. I think it's phoney of them to do it for the money and say it's for the fans.

I honestly don't think Slash or Duff would want a reunion either. Been there and done that and they've all moved on. Steven probably would jump at the chance, but if he still has a drug problem, it would never happen for him. Matt would be the drummer for sure. Just being a member of GNR has let these members go on to make other music and be in other bands and still get money from the album sales. I don't think any of them need the money and Axl doesn't want to do it for any reason.

Anyone who posts on this board but says they never want to see a reunion is so full of crap it's pathetic. .

+1

I don't want to see a reunion, it just wouldn't work. Too much water under the bridge. I saw them at their peak and I think if they got together now it would be a big let down for them and the fans..

You're full of crap for not respecting other peoples opinion, who made you forum dictator?

Of all the absolute shit that gets spewed on this board every day, you pick this to zero in on and call me a dictator??? Get over yourself.

:rofl-lol:

I'd never listen to GNR ever again

That's what i expected from you...a GNR "fan" never listen to GNR if Slash plays again with Axl...

lol

and no, i don't want a reunion anymore, so i'm not butthurt

Just amazed me the stupidity of some Axl fanboys here

Edited by Crash Diet

I would lose all respect for Axl.

It would be a disaster. You cannot recapture the past just by being onstage together. They are obviously all older and have changed over the years, as have we. I would not want to witness this car crash. It would also be disrespectful to the other guys, some have been with Axl longer than Slash and Duff were.

And they have nothing to show for it except a decade long tour and nostalgia shows.

Never heard of Chinese Democracy?

Yes, I have. The album that sold well below expectations and wasn't promoted by Axl himself. It's not something to write home about. I love the album, don't get me wrong, but it's not up to par with Appetite and the Illusions and you hardly ever heard CD song's on the radio anymore.

Way to deflate his snide remark. Dick.